Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Roads You Really Shouldn't Ride in North America

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Roads You Really Shouldn't Ride in North America

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-24, 02:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,760 Times in 1,474 Posts
large / long sections of roads in the mountains of yosemite have no guardrails

gave me the creeps
Old 09-19-24, 02:53 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Liked 2,379 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
large / long sections of roads in the mountains of yosemite have no guardrails

gave me the creeps
I've ridden for 70,000+ miles and driven more than 10 x that. Almost no roadway makes me feel uncomfortable - except US 550 south of Ouray, Colorado. The highway climbs a cliff face that gets heavy snowfall and avalanches in winter, and all year around the only thing between the southbound edge line and a very long near-vertical fall is a few inches of rarefied mountain air. No thanks.

Old 09-22-24, 01:04 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Liked 166 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny H.
It does look that bad to me, maybe a 3' drop on the right, that would not be fatal to a car going down it IMO.
The roads where I live have far greater drops, and no guard rail.
Speed. Looks like a big drop. Pic of where you are talking about in Tennessee with speed limit?
Old 09-23-24, 12:24 AM
50PlusCycling

Liked 1,065 Times in 522 Posts
Highway 491 (formerly Route 666), which runs from Shiprock to Gallup in the state of New Mexico. It was (and still is) called the "Devil's Highway" for obvious reasons. For most it its existence, it was also America's most dangerous highway. Most of it runs through the Navajo Reservation, and it is the main road from the various villages and towns on the Big Rez to the liquor stores in Gallup. There are countless little monuments along both sides of the road marking the places where people have died in collisions, most of them alcohol related. I've been up and down this road a few times, it's safe enough earlier in the day, but you don't want to be on it at night.

Old 09-23-24, 06:22 AM
Steel Monkey
Temporary Sentient

Bikes: Yokota Grizzly Peak MTB, Bear Bike Armata (Track)

Liked 214 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by PeabodyPK
US-17 through parts of North and South Carolina alternated between just fine and absolutely awful, depending upon whether a meaningful shoulder existed. Heavy traffic, high speed limit, bridges. It's also hard to avoid, unless taking long deviations inland.
Terry Barentsen (yoob tube bike vidder) survived 17 but would never do it again. Other vidders doing the Key West destination refused to return on this route. Having watched a few vlogs, I didn't think Georgia's portion was much better. And it's STILL part of the "East-Coast Greenway." If only the promised infrastructure improvements hadn't been just promises.
What jumps out at me is that ANY road is safe for cyclists IF motorists practice patience and safety. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Steel Monkey; 09-23-24 at 06:25 AM.