Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental Home Trainer tire

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 07:53 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts

I just have one question. Why would anyone ever make a tire this difficult to mount? It's going to take me longer to mount this one tire than it took me to build the freaking bike!
Old 12-28-07, 08:37 PM
1centaur
Carbon-based lifeform

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I remember the hell that was. Good thing it lasts so long. I think the Tacx version was a bit easier to mount (have that on the rollers).
Old 12-28-07, 08:47 PM
djbowen1

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crap, i am going to mount mine tomorrow on a dedicated training wheel (bontrager x lite) and i was afraid of that.
Old 12-28-07, 08:49 PM
kninetik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I snapped my plastic tire levers trying to mount that yellow rubber tire of burning rage. Bought a pair of giant steel levers of rim-scratching doom to get those things on. As for your question as to why they make it so hard to mount... I believe Continental is telling you to HTFU, the pains of cycling doesnt end on the road...
Old 12-28-07, 08:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Why not just use a Conti Sport Ultra or whatever they're called now? I use them to ride outside with, and I've had one on my trainer forever.
Old 12-28-07, 09:02 PM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crap! I had a heck of a time mounting Conti Attack/Force on a set of Eurus wheels and now you guys are telling me that mounting the Conti training tire is worse!!

Good thing I bought those Park industrial strength levers and a used wheel set (Campy Vento) for use on the trainer.
Old 12-28-07, 09:23 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksquid
Crap! I had a heck of a time mounting Conti Attack/Force on a set of Eurus wheels and now you guys are telling me that mounting the Conti training tire is worse!!

Good thing I bought those Park industrial strength levers and a used wheel set (Campy Vento) for use on the trainer.
Conti/Campy combinations are particularly difficult to mount. I deal wit this A LOT. Both companies design to the outer tolerances of ETRTO for safety reasons. Once you have ridden the tire for a while, it does get easier.

As for the home trainer use a dedicated wheel and you will be giving that tire/wheel to your grandkids. It is designed not to spatter on the wall behind your trainer (different compound than a road tire) and to take the excessive heat and wear generated by a trainer. This makes the the casing stiffer and adds to the already tight bead.
Old 12-28-07, 09:25 PM
transplant
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's definitely difficult to get on, but i've noticed its much quieter than "normal" tires. not that makes much of a difference with the fans going, but every bit helps.
Old 12-28-07, 09:38 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, that thing is a *****. I can't wait for it to get cold enough to ride inside every day or warm enough to ride outside everyday. As it is it seems like I am switching the tire every other day.
Old 12-28-07, 10:13 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Anyone try to mount one of these on a Mavic Open Pro??
Old 12-28-07, 10:19 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

I managed to get it mounted a few minutes after I did the original post. Unfortunately my fingers were too sore to post once I finished. I was able to mount it with a plastic park tire lever and somehow kept from breaking it. Suprised me. It is mounted to a Campy Montreal rim and I will be using it on my cyclocross bike on the computrainer for the next few months.
Old 12-28-07, 10:31 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I broke my levers and after an hour I gave up and let the shop do it.
Old 12-28-07, 10:37 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Conti/Campy combinations are particularly difficult to mount. I deal wit this A LOT. Both companies design to the outer tolerances of ETRTO for safety reasons. Once you have ridden the tire for a while, it does get easier.

As for the home trainer use a dedicated wheel and you will be giving that tire/wheel to your grandkids. It is designed not to spatter on the wall behind your trainer (different compound than a road tire) and to take the excessive heat and wear generated by a trainer. This makes the the casing stiffer and adds to the already tight bead.
You would think they could make the trainer tire on the large side of the tolerance since it isn't intended for cornering.

I've never used a trainer specific tire, I always have enough 3/4 used tires to throw on and ride to nothing on the trainer.
Old 12-28-07, 10:38 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one - they are horrible. I sold it on eBay.

I guess in reality I don't really need one. I ride my bike about 2,000 miles annually. I use the same rear tire on trainer during winter after each season, and then change it to a new tire when I go back outside in March. So I ride tire 2K miles annually on road and maybe 90 hours inside each winter. I've never worn a tire out on a trainer. If your trainer is adjusted correctly there is no need for a special tire.
Old 12-28-07, 10:39 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

I've always just used whatever tire I had mounted as well, never had a problem with it. The only reason I went with this tire now is that the people at the computrainer company highly recomended it and told me the computrainer will be produce more accurate / consistant results using it.
Old 12-28-07, 10:44 PM
eugkim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First install was very difficult. Popped the tube when I inflated it. Wasn't so bad the second time around.

Don't know if I got a reject, but mine spit rubber like it was going out of style. Still have yellow rubber all over my bike. I had to get rid of it after 4 times on the trainer because it started slipping too much. I went to a cheapo Hutchinson tire that doesn't wear at all.
Old 12-28-07, 10:44 PM
sjumper
Ba Ba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found mounting new tubulars to be a thousand times harder than putting on the Conti trainer tires. It takes a bit of effort but isn't a full body exercise like stretching fresh tubulars.
Old 12-28-07, 10:45 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never switched tires either until I really started riding the trainer hardcore(new baby came). Then it went from an hour of spinning to some hard seated sprints and high threshold workouts. The Michelins just started slipping and squeaking after a while, so I switched.
Old 12-28-07, 10:46 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually had my shop mount one on a cheap shimano wheel. easiest solution ever.
Old 12-28-07, 10:49 PM
tjspahr
My leg made the cover!

Bikes: Trek, Arbourne, BMC, Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CT folks are right...

Originally Posted by LowCel
I've always just used whatever tire I had mounted as well, never had a problem with it. The only reason I went with this tire now is that the people at the computrainer company highly recomended it and told me the computrainer will be produce more accurate / consistant results using it.
I use one of these tires on my CT, and it works great. I don't remember having the trouble mounting the tire that everyone here has been having...I might have been lucky. I also use a Park TL-10, and frankly think it's a great tool, and I still have working thumbs to prove it!

With respect to the longevity of the tire, it shows no wear after 3 months. It definately performs better than any other normal road tire that I've had on a trainer.
Old 12-28-07, 11:34 PM
allenpg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had no trouble getting on or off a Mavic Open Pro rim as long as I used Intense DH tire levers...
Old 12-28-07, 11:58 PM
sentral dogma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heating it up first helped me. I left it on the heater for a day.
Old 12-29-07, 09:28 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
You would think they could make the trainer tire on the large side of the tolerance since it isn't intended for cornering.
Heat from friction generated by trainer + tube expanding + Kaboom = bad experience. My guess is they are just being careful.
Old 12-29-07, 10:16 AM
veggiemafia
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a theme with Continental, not just the home trainer tires. I had a pair of Ultra Sports on a bike that caused broken plastic Park tire levers and bloody knuckles just to get them off.

I've heard from a reputable source (Jerry Kraynick of Kraynick's Bike Shop) that the deal may have been that Continental used to have problems with the tires rolling off the bead, so in response to that, they made some of their tires with slightly tighter beads, and thus, the difficulty mounting them.
Old 12-29-07, 10:22 AM
lennyk

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone else get a silver marking on the conti home tire which eventually slips and needs to be cleaned off ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.