Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Convincing People that I Chose to Bike to Work

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 08:30 PM
landesb
Some Guy on a Bike

Bikes: 2004 Kona Dr Dew (the daily ride) & 2005 Tirreno Razza 3.0 (The mean green machine)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The past few weeks of bike commuting have been a really fun experience. I'm really enjoying getting out and riding and the reactions of my coworkers when they learn I'm riding.

I'm loving how amazed people are that I'm riding all of TWO miles from my house to the office. It was great when a coworker asked if I knew that I lived uphill from work. I gad a couple coworkers that I had a convince that I still had a car, and furthermore no I don't need a ride home. The best responce so far has been someone assuming I got a dui and couldn't drive any more. I have a license and a car and I chose to do this with my free will. Other than a few weird assumptions I surprised at how positive everyone has been about the idea.

I'm beginning week four and still enjoying it, even now that it has become routine.

Does anyone else have any fun responses from coworkers?
Old 09-21-09, 08:37 PM
drifter757

Bikes: 04 KHS 500 Flite, 04 Gary Fisher HKEK

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had to show my license to people to show them that I still have it

Last edited by drifter757; 09-22-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 08:47 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You seem to have run the gamut of typical responses- DUI assumption, constant "helpers" offering you rides, etc. Just wait until you ride in poor weather and the deer-in-the-headlights looks will surface.
I remember one guy actually asking me, "What are you trying to prove?"
Enjoy the ride and remember you don't have to explain yourself. It gets tiring.
Old 09-21-09, 08:52 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They'll get tired of talking about it eventually - mostly. There are still a number of people who ask me if I rode today. They all know that I sold my car over a year ago.

The only thing that really bothers me is that half of the management meetings I'm in, and ALL of them with anything at all to do with business continuity, disaster recovery, etc. turn into a discussion of my bike riding. Apparently it's fun to discuss who has "just about hit me six times", etc.
Old 09-21-09, 09:14 PM
rorowe

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in about week 4 as well, riding all of THREE miles to work, and I know exactly what you mean. Luckily, I have one manager who rides a motorcycle year-round and knows what I put up with weather/traffic wise.
Old 09-21-09, 09:18 PM
shubonker
danke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 miles.......i envy you. Sortof.
Old 09-21-09, 09:31 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride to work, live 2 miles away... and usually stretch it to over 5. Just for more saddle time.

I rode to work when the commute was 9 miles one-way... from -5F to +95F.

Sold my last car nearly 5 years ago, when the motor went belly-up. Never looked back.

Last winter, while I was temporarily at another location, a co-worker who claimed to be a friend started spreading 'the rumor' -- I rode because I'd gotten the DWI; she also claimed I'd told her I was an alcoholic.

Since my return, she hasn't said three words to me -- and the look of uncertainty in her eyes lets me know that she knows she's busted.

I've never had to pull out my license -- but I will if it's brought to me, and I will then tirade on the ignorant fool who was stupid enough to give that story any credence.
Old 09-21-09, 10:36 PM
Mitchxout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"For non-conformity the world whips you with it's displeasure."

Emerson
Old 09-21-09, 10:44 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 98 Posts
I live six miles from work, and I've been commuting 3-4 days a week since July 1st. Yes, I was asked if I got a DWI. Another coworker asked if I was a "health nut." People seem astonished that I can ride 12 miles a day and enjoy it.

It doesn't hurt that we've had a dry, cool summer and a warm fall so far.
Old 09-21-09, 10:57 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
s
Originally Posted by landesb
The past few weeks of bike commuting have been a really fun experience. I'm really enjoying getting out and riding and the reactions of my coworkers when they learn I'm riding.

I'm loving how amazed people are that I'm riding all of TWO miles from my house to the office. It was great when a coworker asked if I knew that I lived uphill from work. I gad a couple coworkers that I had a convince that I still had a car, and furthermore no I don't need a ride home. The best responce so far has been someone assuming I got a dui and couldn't drive any more. I have a license and a car and I chose to do this with my free will. Other than a few weird assumptions I surprised at how positive everyone has been about the idea.

I'm beginning week four and still enjoying it, even now that it has become routine.

Don't worry, after a few years the responses will subside a bit, I still have my employer commenting almost daily after work, "ride carefully", and I reply "I always do".
Old 09-21-09, 11:01 PM
landesb
Some Guy on a Bike

Bikes: 2004 Kona Dr Dew (the daily ride) & 2005 Tirreno Razza 3.0 (The mean green machine)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitchxout
"For non-conformity the world whips you with it's displeasure."

Emerson
Perfect!
Old 09-22-09, 03:35 AM
Kevin666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"What do you do when it rains?"

Asking someone about the DUI thing seems pretty intrusive. You should tell them you ran a bus full of nuns off the road while they were on their way to the orphanage.

I can't believe that's such a common question. Of course, now I probably jinxed myself, and someone will ask me today. I'll let you know how I answer.
Old 09-22-09, 04:03 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
...Don't worry, after a few years the responses will subside a bit, I still have my employer commenting almost daily after work, "ride carefully", and I reply "I always do".
Yeah, I used to get this one alot. Not necessarily from my employer, but from co-workers. It's not an expression of genuine concern, but a subtle admonition for how stupid they think you are for bicycling to work. You threaten the status quo and CHOOSE your commuting vehicle according to your own internal voice. It shows them up everyday, though that isn't your intent at all. And they LOVE it when you don't ride, so they can make some remark about how 'you're slipping' or slacking or some other unfunny, cliche'd observance. It gets old, but comes w/t territory.

At one point I printed cards w/my vitals and cholesterol numbers on them and would give them to people who queried re why I cycle-commuted. A bit over the top, perhaps, but the constant barrage of questions/remarks stopped, finally. One gets a rep as a bit of a misanthope, but it's better than having to have one's lunch constantly interrupted by superfluous remarks or ominous warnings about impending rainstorms. They're jealous, pure and simple.
Old 09-22-09, 06:01 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you ride long enough they will be more astonished that you didn't ride no matter what the weather. Keep up the good work and like nashcommguy said, it kinda comes with the territory.
Old 09-22-09, 06:04 AM
snake_p20

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.5, 200? Trek 7200 Multitrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been asked a few times weather or not I lost my license but the one that really gets to me is when people ask me if I am riding to work because money has gotten too tight to drive. This summer I bought a new Trek 1.5 road bike and decided to ride it to work a couple of times and while I was on my bike leaving work someone asked me if times were tough enough that I had to ride a bike to work. Really? was all I could say. I was riding a new bike that I just spent over $1000 on and the only thing they could ask me is if I was too broke to afford gas for my truck.
Old 09-22-09, 06:07 AM
benda18

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped caring what other people thought after the first day of riding to work.
Old 09-22-09, 06:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I'm loving how amazed people are that I'm riding all of TWO miles from my house to the office...

I've been riding 14 miles to work for over 25 years, and a usual greeting is "nice day for a ride" in pleasant weather, or "You didn't ride today, did you?" in foul weather. The latter comment actually serves as an incentive to ride to maintain my status as a "nut case."

At dress-up social functions outside the work place, I'm invaraibly asked "Did you ride your bike here?" All the comments are in good fun and it's a nice reputation to have. In fact I'm usually introduced as a "guy who rides his bike here from Kenmore Square all year round." I'm not fond though, of comments such as "You're a better man than I am," or even a couple of times, "You're a saint."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-22-09 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 06:32 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by snake_p20
I have been asked a few times weather or not I lost my license but the one that really gets to me is when people ask me if I am riding to work because money has gotten too tight to drive. This summer I bought a new Trek 1.5 road bike and decided to ride it to work a couple of times and while I was on my bike leaving work someone asked me if times were tough enough that I had to ride a bike to work. Really? was all I could say. I was riding a new bike that I just spent over $1000 on and the only thing they could ask me is if I was too broke to afford gas for my truck.
People that don't ride bikes have no idea what a real bike costs. For all they know, your Trek was some Wally world price.

Back in the '80s I was in a car crash on a Trek that cost me close to $900, the insurance company adjuster of the motorist that hit me was incredulous that a "mere bicycle" could cost that much.
Old 09-22-09, 06:53 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by benda18
I stopped caring what other people thought after the first day of riding to work.
This
Old 09-22-09, 07:14 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not interested in convincing anyone about what I do. But to temper the strange comments I get when people start talking about it, I like to quickly say that this is my weight control program. That quickly diverts the attention from me to the fatso who's questioning my sanity.

Old 09-22-09, 07:17 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Ask them if they can give you some money for gas, so you don't have to ride anymore.

Old 09-22-09, 07:19 AM
jungovox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you - i work for a guitar mfg. and have been commuting 6 mile each way for about 6 month s- oddly I am the only one out of a staff of 50 - Most think it's pretty cool and they keep me in their thoughts as the tstorms invent themselves at the end of the day here in Tampa Florida -

For various reasons I take the car (2008 accord ex - nice) and act thrilled that this 'vehicle' has a clear shield that protects me from the wind, tons of power and climate control - Grin -

Enjoy your Commuting LandESB - and do know this form is lousy with good commuters with GREAT tips .. I humbly read it daily - cause DAMN - I am in Tampa bay - never cold and always flat - I am in awe of folks that ride at sub-zero temps in ice and snow, up and down huge hills - amazing.
Old 09-22-09, 07:27 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not really. There are five of us who bike to work, out of a company of about 25. I don't even know what a "fun response" would look like. "Wow, you rode your bike, that's great! Here's a brand new Baileyworks bag!" Something like that? That would be fun, all right.
Old 09-22-09, 07:31 AM
Matt1972
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fat kid at work exclaimed to me, "Matt! You rode your bike? Why?". I replied, "'Cause I wanted to!" End of discussion
Old 09-22-09, 07:34 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
I work with cyclists... I used to get way more flack when I drove a car on rare occasions.

Now it's more a case of people commenting on my daughters who commute 14 km a day which they see as incredible... my little 9 year old says "it's nothing" and it isn't.

I did meet another parent who commuted 10 km a day with her son and while doing this pulls her 2 year old daughter in the kid trailer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.