Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Seat height and position

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Seat height and position

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 08:42 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 411 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

found a potential issue with the cutout

mrs t2p saddle has a cut out - great … but … however … we were caught in the rain during a recent ride and water was coming up through the cutout … … I thought it was amusing but mrs t2p not so much
Your cutout has a bottom? Mine is open.
Old 05-18-24, 09:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by philbob57
The best way I've found to reduce pressure on my hands and arms is to strengthen my core. Riding alone can do some of that, but core exercises can totally prevent excess weight on hands. I generally search the web for exercises when I remember to do core exercises. I'll wager a lot that you'll get more relief from core exercises than from changing your bike setup, and maybe faster, too. I was just getting some conditioning when I hurt my back, so I've been putting so much pressure on my hands that they've been going numb. (It's worse this week, since I've got Covid. Getting in and out of bed does little to maintain conditioning. (OTOH, Paxlovid is really helping.)

I went on a saddle search to avoid perineal numbness 8-9 years ago. I tried the Toupe. It defines 'ass-hatchet' for me and for some others; of course still others think it's the most comfortable saddle they've ever used. I'm on my 3rd Selle SMP TRK, which is a lot better than the Avocet, Spesh, Brooks Imperial, Fizik, and ISM saddles that I tried before I tried the SMP. ISelle SMP keeps pressure off the pubic nerve and artery with their dropped nose, curving surface, and channel.
At my gym they have a crunch machine, but they also have one that puts the bar behind my back and it’s sorta the opposite of a crunch. Will that help? If so I will make a point to use it.
Old 05-19-24, 09:01 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Liked 656 Times in 394 Posts
I go to a gym only in nightmares. I've got a significant lower back issue, so I just look for exercises that don't put a lot of stress there. You probably don't want too much stress on your shoulder. Does Planet fitness have instructors?

I ride with a Carradice bag. That catches the mud, etc. that would otherwise get to my clothes through the cutout.
Old 05-19-24, 10:31 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I will get out tomorrow. I had too many things to do today.
I put my Cobb Randee saddle back on. I think I know why it was putting pressure on my peritoneum. With the rails level the rear of the saddle is higher than the front. I had it level across the top. I will see if having the rails level helps. I also think I had it too far back. I don't think I was actually sitting on the wings.
I also rotated my handlebars more to try to get the hoods more or less level with the bar tops.
I put the Cobb back on since it’s a little wider than the Specialized Body Geometry Toupe.
I will check seat height tomorrow too. I use flat pedals. They have spikes on them so my feet don't slip. I have too many stops and starts to feel comfortable in cleats right now.
To measure height fit I do put my heel on the pedal-right?
When I ride I have the balls of my feet over the pedal spindle as best as I can.
That Selle SMP profile resembles my Cobb Randee.
I think my Toupe just isn’t wide enough for my sit bones. That is why I bought the Cobb. I have no good reason why I put the Toupe back on other than to look like one of the cool kids.
saddle & position
saddle is often used for weight distribution - could work, but also 'not'...
pressure points from weight are: each hand, each pedal/foot, each siztbone (you have 2 on the saddle). That's always where the 'hurt' starts, and then transfers to other associated parts....
'weight' pressure change isn;t going to be changed quickly/dramtically - it can only be distributed in a way which reduces /distributes the pressure...
associated with that is muscle performance... move an element and you change both... aside from 'handling' skills, everything riding the bike centers on these - you rpower, you rweight and how you distribute/use them.
'Level saddle' - a good start point. depends on saddle... DON'T assume saddle rails are 'level' to saddle top surface - many are not

'Level' Cobb Saddle - rails not level... never assume
There are many shapes, sizes, dimensions of saddles from companies - some very different ... yours may be different from another model ...
don't be fooled by 'shape'... some saddles are flat, some have a high back - measure level from 'nose' to where your sitzbones rest...
fore/aft can help with putting more weight on butt and little less on hands - but often not THE Solution...
seat height - variable... for each rider and riding needs. Also a lot of variability...
Most/Best position for balance of power vs comfort is based on 'Posture/Position'

Good cycling Form / Position
Here's a rider enjoying his ride, having found his optimum position - comfortable forward lean FROM bending his elbows and rolling his elbows inward towards torso. The elbows and associated arm muscles are your shock absorbers for the shoulders, head, torso. Straight arms transfer road shocks to shoulders neck, and back down thru spine. Very upright torso transfers shock from saddle/butt up thru the spine to neck... Bend each (eblows/arms & Hips/waist) and the shock is 'absorbed'...
This guy is older/'seasoned' and carries a sizeable torso; but he's found his best' posture for riding his bike.
saddle height/extension : I've found that formulas can get you started... and also a simple method. Rolling easy on bike, center your heels on the pedal spindles & make comfortable pedal revolutions...
with your heels on pedal spindles, pedal backwards.
If you can do BOTH with smooth pedaling and NO rocking of the hips - you're close to your best setting height - small variations (mm's either up or down) after that to fine tune...
ANY SETTING - SMALL adjustments, in steps, and some riding between changing settings... (often multiple rides before next change)|
ONE CHANGE AT A TIME ! focus on one 'change', at a time...
acknowledge your 'weaknesses' and allow them to build ... a little bit of stress to the body, helps build those weaknesses - don;t baby, don;t bury yourself - cycling, like so many things, is a lesson about yourself.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-19-24 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-19-24, 08:04 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,151 Times in 1,200 Posts
Your cutout has a bottom? Mine is open.

mrs t2p terry butterfly saddle has an open cutout

most of my saddles have an ‘indent’ or depression - not open … including the WTB Koda pictured above … I prefer the closed indent - just a personal preference
Old 05-19-24, 08:18 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by t2p

mrs t2p terry butterfly saddle has an open cutout

most of my saddles have an ‘indent’ or depression - not open … including the WTB Koda pictured above … I prefer the closed indent - just a personal preference

This allows access to the front mount bolt.

BTW I have the same wheeled bike rack as you.
Old 05-20-24, 12:22 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I got out earlier for 6 miles. So far it feels close. I did rotate my handlebars back a little. I will be able to tell tomorrow when I go further.
Today I had no discomfort.
Likes For pepperbelly: