Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bumper? Elastomer? for Trek 2100 rear triangle,

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bumper? Elastomer? for Trek 2100 rear triangle,

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 12:41 AM
avhed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonemad
I recently replaced the elastomer on my 2005 Klein Reve V, which has same rear triangle suspension system as the OP, aka SPA. Used a 1.25" length of polyurethane rubber tubing that I got here. I bought two 6" pieces about three years ago, one 40A and the other 60A. I didn't replace the original elastomer at that time because it wasn't in that bad of condition when I removed it back then. Cutting this stuff accurately is a real pain it the ass! Muffed up a few cuts using a miter box and saw before I figured it out: securely clamp the long section of the tube to the box, hold the other end steady without deforming it and patiently saw through it. After cutting, I sanded each cut end with emory cloth laying on a flat surface to get it reasonably flat and perpendicular. Anyways, below is what I ended with using the 60A tubing. Seems to work perfectly. BTW if you need this replacement elastomer part, you are probably far better off buying it here than fabricating it as I have, especially if you don't have the tools to cut it.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but thought this info might be useful none the less. BTW, I love that bike, put a Shimano 105 ten speed grupo on it about 3 years ago.

Edit: I wouldn't trust using a piece of wood as a replacement for the elastomer as discussed above. There are HUGE shock impulses that go through that shock linkage if you are traveling fast when you hit even modest bumps in the road. Thus I imagine that over time the wood may fail and it could be rather ugly when it does.
Could you update the link for the elastomer? This one is no good.
Old 05-03-22, 09:12 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by avhed
Both links work for me.
Old 05-03-22, 08:57 PM
Gonemad

Bikes: '05 Klein Reve V, '96 Stump Jumper M2, Ancient Ex-Mt. Beater

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by avhed
Sorry but I don't find any issues with either link, both work fine when I click on them in my browser. The McMaster-Carr link (https://www.mcmaster.com/polyurethan...~1-1-4/id~1-2/) only hits the top level product page, the elastomer I used is the last entry in the listed products, which is for the polyurethane rubber tubing. The deep link I used for it just won't navigate directly to that tubing, but the size shown is what I used. A 6 inch length, if cut correctly, will yield 4 replacement elastomers. Here's the full link for the other elastomer: https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...fresh-kit.html.

Edit: If the clicking on the embedded links in the post don't work for you, right click on the desired link and select "copy link". Then paste the copied link into the web address bar of your browser. It this doesn't work or doesn't make sense I can't be of help.

Last edited by Gonemad; 05-04-22 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-29-23, 03:49 PM
tigerdog

Bikes: Klein Reve X 2006, Klein Pulse 1986-ish, Vitus 979 1985

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you to everyone who posted to this thread. The piece from suspensionforkparts.net is a drop-in replacement on my Klein Rêve. I really didn't want the look of the clear yellow elastomer and I didn't want to try to roll my own like Gonemad, so I used a length of polyolefin heat-shrink tubing to sheath the yellow elastomer. Net result looks better to me than clear, seems to flex as expected. A couple of hints when replacing: have an M8 bolt or screw handy. After removing the setscrew and brake bolt, threading an M8 into setscrew hole makes it easy to pull out the suspension axle. On reassembly, some silicone grease may help minimize squeaks and groans. A Philips screwdriver through the brake bolt hole can assist in lining up the axle.

M8 button-head cap screw threaded into suspension axle makes it easy to remove and re-insert.

New elastomer from sfp wrapped in black heat shrink tubing. Old elastomer for comparison.
Likes For tigerdog:
Old 10-29-23, 07:31 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 539 Posts
https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...manitou-3.html

the link will take you to the page that i last used, but you can navigate to the home page, and work from there... Great folks to work with, btw! i have bought a few fork kits from them, never a problem!
Old 03-03-24, 11:26 AM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...manitou-3.html

the link will take you to the page that i last used, but you can navigate to the home page, and work from there... Great folks to work with, btw! i have bought a few fork kits from them, never a problem!
Here's a link to the specific page for the Rêve.
https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...fresh-kit.html
Likes For tigerdog:
Old 03-04-24, 01:54 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts
Had mine replaced by the local Trek bike shop. Original had essentially disintegrated.
Old 05-18-24, 03:38 PM
rootee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Had mine replaced by the local Trek bike shop. Original had essentially disintegrated.
Hi WaveyGravey:

Did your local Trek shop replace the bumper with an actual Trek part (from their discontinued Trek Pilot road bike)? Or did you bring in your own, like suspensionforkparts(.net)?
Old 05-19-24, 05:53 AM
WaveyGravey

Originally Posted by rootee
Hi WaveyGravey:

Did your local Trek shop replace the bumper with an actual Trek part (from their discontinued Trek Pilot road bike)? Or did you bring in your own, like suspensionforkparts(.net)?
I;m not sure. I did not provide the part. I don't believe it was a Klein NOS part. Must be from the TREK inventory of parts. I can find out and let you know.
Old 05-20-24, 06:52 AM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I;m not sure. I did not provide the part. I don't believe it was a Klein NOS part. Must be from the TREK inventory of parts. I can find out and let you know.
If possible, please post a picture of the new part, and please let us know if Trek are supplying parts again, or if your local shop used an alternative.
Old 05-31-24, 02:29 PM
WaveyGravey

Originally Posted by tigerdog
If possible, please post a picture of the new part, and please let us know if Trek are supplying parts again, or if your local shop used an alternative.
Attached is the picture of my replacement shock. The original was black rubber. It disintegrated. The replacement is not a Trek factory part although a Trek dealer/shop made the repair. This is where the part was sourced: Klein Reve Elastomer Refresh Kit (suspensionforkparts.net)

Klein Reve Elastomer Refresh Kit (suspensionforkparts.net).
Old 05-31-24, 04:57 PM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Attached is the picture of my replacement shock..
Thanks for the picture - this is the same replacement I made on mine. I didn't like the translucent yellow color, so before I installed it, I wrapped it in black heat-shrink tube.

Last edited by tigerdog; 05-31-24 at 04:59 PM. Reason: removed redundant picture that was posted earlier