Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Hub Bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ceramic Hub Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 08:43 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Lighter weight and smoother. What's not to like?
Um, maybe paying a substantial price difference to get a miniscule gain that is likely not even noticeable and might not be even readily measurable?

For non-cartridge bearings (the classic "cup and cone" design), there's also potentially another issue. Ceramic bearing balls are generally harder than steel races (70-90 HRc for ceramic vs 50-70 HRc for most varieties of case hardened steel). That means the order of damage inside a non-cartridge bearing using ceramic balls now is likely to be (1st) cones, then (2nd) cups, and (3rd) bearing balls.

This potential disadvantage also exists for cartridge bearing designs using ceramic bearing balls and hardened steel inner/outer races without a ceramic race insert.

I'd personally rather replace bearing balls than cones or cups, particularly on vintage hubs. So I'll stick with grade 25 or better steel bearing balls, thanks.

Last edited by Hondo6; 05-17-24 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add omitted word.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 05-17-24, 09:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 3,095 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Um, maybe paying a substantial price difference to get a miniscule gain that is likely not even noticeable and might not be even readily measurable?.
What do you care what I pay?

Adding up all the "unnoticeable" lighter parts has allowed me to shave two pounds off my bike.

Last edited by smd4; 05-17-24 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 09:11 AM
Hondo6

What do you care what I pay?
I don't. But you asked "What's not to like?" - so I answered that question.

No perfect solutions exist. In life, there are only trade-offs between imperfect solutions optimizing different things.

Last edited by Hondo6; 05-17-24 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 09:13 AM
smd4

I don't. But you asked "What's not to like?" - so I answered that question.
Maybe you don't like it. I'm good with it. So--for me--there's absolutely no downside.
Old 05-17-24, 09:22 AM
Hondo6

Maybe you don't like it. I'm good with it. So--for me--there's absolutely no downside.
Do whatever you like with your bike and your $$$. Just don't complain if the decision turns out to be a bad one.
Old 05-17-24, 09:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 5,824 Times in 2,944 Posts
Do whatever you like with your bike and your $$$. Just don't complain if the decision turns out to be a bad one.
If we are still talking about his ceramic bearings I don't see how it could be a "bad" decision. I haven't read of them causing damage.
Old 05-17-24, 09:45 AM
smd4

There won't be any complaining because there won't be any problems.
Old 05-17-24, 09:55 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If we are still talking about his ceramic bearings I don't see how it could be a "bad" decision. I haven't read of them causing damage.
This thread is quite new. I have no idea - nor do I particularly care - if/when he installed ceramic bearings in his bike. I don't recall him indicating anywhere above if/when he actually installed them, and I'm not going to take the time to research older threads to find out.

However: as I recall bearing damage usually takes time to develop. And if the decision was to use ceramic bearing balls in a classic "cup and cone" bearing, IMO it could indeed turn out to be a bad decision if it causes premature failure of hard-to-find vintage replacement parts (cups/cones) through the bearing balls being harder than the races and causing premature race wear/pitting/failure.
Old 05-17-24, 10:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 5,824 Times in 2,944 Posts
As they say, anything's possible!
Old 05-17-24, 01:53 PM
smd4

This thread is quite new. I have no idea - nor do I particularly care - if/when he installed ceramic bearings in his bike. I don't recall him indicating anywhere above if/when he actually installed them, and I'm not going to take the time to research older threads to find out.
I installed ceramic ball bearings in my 7700 Dura Ace hubs during lockdown, four years ago. Also replaced the rear steel axle with a titanium one from an XTR hub. Cost me $100 for that thing. I hope I didn't overspend for a minimal benefit there, too!

I'll let you know when my races shatter.
Old 05-17-24, 03:55 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 414 Posts
I sell a lot of ceramic bearings, but none to people I care about...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 05-17-24, 04:40 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 619 Times in 427 Posts
There won't be any complaining because there won't be any problems.
Agree, w/ the light cycling loads on the bearing & balls and races are mostly damaged I suspect due to spalling and possibly some brinneling of the races which could take place in a hybrid ceramic bearing with steel races most likely due to lube contamination or lube failure and the ceramic balls would not aggravate these failures or even ameliorate. In a all ceramic bearing in cycling loading the only thing I can see affecting the bearing would be contamination of the lube.
Old 05-17-24, 04:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 1,019 Posts
What I wonder about is the actual application. Is this a situation where steel balls are replaced by ceramic balls? Or is it where cartridge bearings are replaced with cartridge bearings with ceramic balls? How much will it cost? How much advantage will there be? If the advantage amounts to fractions of a percent, maybe you should look elsewhere unless the conversion is very inexpensive
Old 05-18-24, 07:48 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 692 Posts
it is probably fractions of a percent in terms of lower "friction". The ceramic balls are harder, and they deform less under load. Probably about the same advantage as you'd get from high end lubrication.

Bearing speed may have something to do with it too. Years ago in the tour Franke Vandenbrouke said he could "feel the difference" with ceramic bearings in his pedals.

/markp
Old 05-20-24, 10:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3070 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Um, maybe paying a substantial price difference to get a miniscule gain that is likely not even noticeable and might not be even readily measurable?
What do you consider a substantial price difference?

I just recently purchased a carbon wheelset. The difference in price between ceramic and no ceramic hub bearings was a whole $30. I got the ceramic bearing hubs.
Old 06-04-24, 12:13 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by alcjphil
What I wonder about is the actual application. Is this a situation where steel balls are replaced by ceramic balls?
Yes. DA7700 hubs use the classic cup/cone bearing design with 9 1/4" bearing balls on each side of the rear axle and 11 3/16" bearing balls on each side of the front. For some reason, both used stainless bearing balls vice the more common chrome steel.

Why stainless bearing balls? Dunno. Ask Shimano.

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/ev/FH...-7700-1654.pdf

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/ev/HB...-7700-1653.pdf
Old 06-04-24, 12:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,623 Posts
...... For some reason, both used stainless bearing balls vice the more common chrome steel.

Why stainless bearing balls? Dunno. Ask Shimano....
Sometimes engineering decisions turn on small details. Possibly they went with SS as a form of neglect insurance, especially for all weather users. Or they may have used SS so the balls took more wear vs. the races.

OTOH it might just be a translation error by whoever produced the chart.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of ceramic balls on steel races, but don't see the choice if ball material a big issue either way.
Old 06-04-24, 03:49 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sometimes engineering decisions turn on small details. Possibly they went with SS as a form of neglect insurance, especially for all weather users. Or they may have used SS so the balls took more wear vs. the races.

OTOH it might just be a translation error by whoever produced the chart.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of ceramic balls on steel races, but don't see the choice if ball material a big issue either way.
IMO it's doubtful that's a translation error, though that's always possible. I've seen many other older Shimano hub EVs that simply indicate "bearing balls" (or similar wording) vice explicitly calling for "stainless steel bearing balls". My guess is that the translation here calling for stainless steel bearing balls is indeed accurate.

I personally think you may be right regarding using stainless bearing balls to help ensure the bearing balls fail first. In order of expense to repair, for a cup/cone axle bearing setup the least expensive item generally will be the bearing balls (per a quick check on Amazon, about of $0.017 to $0.026 cents each when bought in quantity, and perhaps even less, for G25 chrome steel bearing balls); next the cones; and finally the cups. For that reason, it seems to me you'd want them to wear out/show damage in that order.

G25 bearing balls are so cheap that it makes economic sense to simply replace them with new at each service. Hub cones usually are next, but can be pricey and hard to find - especially for high-end vintage hubs. (Plus, some recent designs have one cone integrated into the axle, like Shimano's FH-9100.) Cups? In general, that means replacing the hub body or the entire hub. For some vintage hubs, finding a replacement body/hub can be quite expensive - if it's even possible.

My issue with using ceramic balls with steel races is that ceramic is typically harder than either the cones or cups - and is also more brittle. Hit a big enough bump, pothole, or other road irregularity and it's at least theoretically possible for a ceramic bearing to chip/spall/fracture from impact while the cups/cones are undamaged. If that happens the resulting ceramic shards/debris (which is harder than the cones/cups) can quickly damage or totally destroy the cones and cups.

Last edited by Hondo6; 06-04-24 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-04-24, 06:42 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by prj71
What do you consider a substantial price difference?

I just recently purchased a carbon wheelset. The difference in price between ceramic and no ceramic hub bearings was a whole $30. I got the ceramic bearing hubs.
For me, it's not a pure cost issue. It's a cost/benefit analysis issue. If there's no significant benefit, why spend the money?

Personally, I think ceramic hub bearings are a total waste. This webpage from BC Precision sums up the advantages and disadvantages of ceramic bearings:

https://www.bcprecision.com/blogs/ne...ramic-bearings

I don't see how any of the advantages listed really apply to the cycling environment. And for cup/cone bearings, having a bearing ball substantially harder and more brittle than its races isn't an advantage.

YMMV. If you want to chase a handful of grams and/or a tiny fraction of a percent of total drag, go ahead and use ceramic bearings; it's your bike and your money. But since ceramic has a density ranging from about 40.7% to 76.5% of CroMo steel - and all bearing balls used in bicycles are far less than 1cm in diameter - the savings in weight (and friction) will be small.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-04-24, 07:11 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,536 Posts
F.Y.I. XD15 hybrid bearing,

https://cycling.endurobearings.com/p...e+2024%29#xd15 and https://mailchi.mp/endurobearings.co...s?e=fe732a68e9