Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brand new Woom 3 bike ?Hub problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brand new Woom 3 bike ?Hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 05:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,920 Times in 2,986 Posts
Guess you are learning why saving a few bucks buying online may not be the best idea if you aren't familiar with the product and have minimal DIY aptitude.
Old 05-24-24, 05:28 AM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Guess you are learning why saving a few bucks buying online may not be the best idea if you aren't familiar with the product and have minimal DIY aptitude.
Not saving any money at all I'm spending more to get the best bike available for my kid by importing from overseas. This is about double the price of a local bike from giant/specialized/trek. Also local bikes have rear coaster brakes and i wanted a free wheel hub.
Likes For kiwijunglist:
Old 06-05-24, 06:34 PM
kiwijunglist

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Update

Got an email from the bike workshop.
Looks like woom (manufacturer) forget to put grease in the rear hub which is why it was so noisy and grippy. They also needed to replace the chain and made some adjustments.

​​​​​
OPENED UP REAR HUB AND CHECKED. FOUND HUB TO BE WITHOUT ANY GREASEGREASE HUB AND REASSEMBLEDSWAPPED BRAKES TO NEW ZEALAND SET UP (RIGHT FRONT)REPLACED 2X DAMAGED BOLTS ON DROPOUTTRIED SETTING UP CRANK ON BB SPINDLE TO HELP IMPROVE THE TIGHT SPOT IN CHAINLITTLE BIT BETTER. HAVE FITTED A NEW CHAIN AND A WHOLE LOT BETTERBOLT CHECKED COMPLETE BIKECHECKED ASSEMBLY OF THE BIKE

Last edited by kiwijunglist; 06-05-24 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For kiwijunglist:
Old 06-05-24, 07:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,920 Times in 2,986 Posts
Happy it's resolved, hope the kid enjoys it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-06-24, 04:24 AM
Duragrouch

Liked 596 Times in 482 Posts
This is an area that I never trust the manufacturer, and the bike shops don't have the time to check this on every bike they sell. Even if brand new bike, first thing I do is open up the bearings which usually have grease but barely, really stingy with it, and add more grease, or clean and use all top quality fresh grease. Same for bottom bracket, unless it comes with a cartridge spindle or bearings. I don't even trust Internal Gear Hubs from the factory, because there it's even more critical for the gears, and ball bearings to have plenty of grease to help seal in the gear oil.
Likes For Duragrouch: