Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Belgian bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Belgian bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 07:09 AM
werepig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A.R.A. Super Elite (60s?) Frame: Info Please

Will post pictures on frame arrival. Thanks
Old 05-02-22, 07:54 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 219 Posts
I ride this a lot

Likes For Soody:
Old 12-04-22, 09:49 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked 4,845 Times in 1,822 Posts
I just realized I have omitted posting my latest Belgian acquisitions in this thread.

In March this year I found a frame which is doing its best trying to look like a Groene Leeuw. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I have yet to find out.

This is how it came to me:

Because it had seen a lot of use, I decided to build it up with parts at hand and see how it rode, before committing to a restoration project. This is how I rode it and how it now sits in my study, waiting for a decision.

I haven't yet been able to identify the builder. If no new information comes to light my plan is to recommission it as a Groene Leeuw.

EDIT: more info on this machine is here: What have we here? A Groene Leeuw?

Last edited by non-fixie; 12-04-22 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-04-22, 09:54 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked 4,845 Times in 1,822 Posts
This years's other Belgian find is this Téval frame. Made by Plume Sport in ~1967:

A separate thread on the subject is here: And also ... a Teval.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-04-22, 10:27 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A 1984-ish Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra and a 2017 Ridley Helium SLX

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 01-25-24, 07:27 PM
HerrOtto

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
More Belgian Bikes

I know this is an old thread, but here are a couple more Belgian bikes. 1970 "Superia" mixte frame and a 1965 Sabre , both are 3 speeds.

Likes For HerrOtto:
Old 01-25-24, 07:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 5,352 Times in 1,859 Posts
Since it's been revived.

Merckx Corsa 01:

Old 01-25-24, 10:14 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 619 Times in 234 Posts
A more recent picture of the 1956 Royal Nord President. I installed my older apple green Brooks B17.
Old 01-27-24, 02:12 AM
Seanaus

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 54 Posts
It's been posted in the vintage tt thread already, but it is Belgian!
Likes For Seanaus:
Old 01-28-24, 01:11 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 4577 Post(s)
Liked 6,567 Times in 3,770 Posts
2 EM's that need to be built and finished.

Likes For merziac:
Old 01-31-24, 12:23 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 487 Posts

60 cm Libertas mixte
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-26-24, 09:06 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco

This is the bike from my avatar, my only Belgian bike, and my most confusing bike as well. The brand is "Spect JM" and the headbadge mentions Braine le Chateau, a quick search for which yielded little information other than the obvious - that it's a small town in Belgium with a population of about 10,000. The workmanship is skilled but unrefined - nice even brazing of near-perfect quality but there are no embellishments and certain areas such as the stay caps could have been sanded/filed a bit more. Overall the effect is a bit plain, which isn't enhanced by the medium/short-point Bocama lugs. The basic dimensions are 56.5cm seat tube and 57.5cm top tube, both c-c, and it appears to have been built for 700c wheels. I have no accurate way to measure geometry at the moment but I'll whip up a protractor/plumb bob combination eventually. Based on the above I'd call it a custom build by a small builder who did mainly repairs (skilled but lacking artistry) and identified either as his own brand or that of a bike shop through which the work was contracted. Either way, enough of this brand were built to justify having decals printed, but not enough that another one has made its presence known on the internet during the ten years that I've owned mine.

Where it gets confusing is in the less obvious aspects of the frame. The dropouts and fork ends are eyeletted Campagnolo and the wheelbase is long, with the rear tire gap being quite a bit larger than I usually like. Okay, that suggests touring bike. But the thing that really gets me is the tubing. It's metric (28.35mm seat tube including paint) and completely unidentified through decals or even a mark on the steer tube (other than a stamped "58") but takes a 27.2mm seatpost (measures 27.15 and rattles very slightly in the hole). Perhaps one of the more experienced tubing gurus here can explain that, but I'm at a loss. In fact, my initial measurement of the seat tube struck me as so impossible that I grabbed a better set of calipers (Etalon) and when that said the same I grabbed a known-accurate micrometer with the same result. So for now I accept it as being accurate. That would indicate a wall thickness of 0.4mm and while I seem to remember that some types of crazy hot-rod tubesets had tubes with that dimension it seems suicidal (not to mention completely pointless) to build what appears to be a touring frame out of 130lb-weight-limit time-trial tubing. And then not make it as beautiful as humanly possible.

So it confuses me, and has done so for a decade, but the ride is quite nice and more sprightly than one would expect so it sees a fair number of miles. Because of the weird nature of the frame I decided to hang all of my weird parts on it - some Shimano 600ax and Dura-Ace ax, Dyna-Drive pedals, helicomatic hubset, and the like. I enjoy the mystery to a certain degree, but since I hate a mystery which can't be solved I search for information every year or two with no results. Maybe as a result of finally typing up its story I'll finally try to contact the local government of a certain small town in Belgium and see if they know anyone who might be able to tell me more.
I acquired a Spectrum Competition. I'm trying to determine what price to put it on the market. Do you have any info as to market value? I posted on Classic and Vintage Market sub-forum. Thanks.