Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

27.2mm seatpost 1mm too wide

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

27.2mm seatpost 1mm too wide

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 07:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 5,827 Times in 2,946 Posts
While OP is waiting for the correct size seatpost to arrive, maybe take the time to properly adjust bars and brake levers.
Old 05-19-24, 08:07 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
While OP is waiting for the correct size seatpost to arrive, maybe take the time to properly adjust bars and brake levers.
Good point. I’d say they should lower the stem back to a safe level too, but that’s just the kind of unhelpful judgement that gives the forum a bad name.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-19-24, 08:20 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded); 1989 Miyata 512 (58cm; $50, thrift buy); KHS Classic (63cm, 12-spd); Schwinn World Sport (58cm); Schwinn Voyageur (58cm); 1987 Centurion Ironman (60cm)

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal
Looks like you're measuring a seatpost shim in this picture to me. The irregular dark colored ring there between the frame tube and the post....

I mean, like, WTH is one suppozed to be measurin' ?
Old 05-19-24, 08:28 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded); 1989 Miyata 512 (58cm; $50, thrift buy); KHS Classic (63cm, 12-spd); Schwinn World Sport (58cm); Schwinn Voyageur (58cm); 1987 Centurion Ironman (60cm)

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
bored to tears

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
... maybe take the time to properly adjust bars and brake levers.
WTH do "brake levers" have to do with the OP seatpost topic? ... other than another off-topic post because the attention-craver is bored to tears and/or wants is increase his BF post count. Yes?
Old 05-19-24, 08:31 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
... what about it, toots? I mean, like, WTH is one suppozed to be measurin' ?
Probably the seatpost, or even the frame since that’s the whole point of this thread/exercise in futility.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-19-24, 08:32 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 313 Posts
WTH do "brake levers" have to do with the OP seatpost topic? ... other than another off-topic post because the attention-craver is bored to tears and/or wants is increase his BF post count. Yes?
Are there prizes for post count?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 05-19-24, 08:48 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 570 Times in 323 Posts
The title / subject of the OP was "27.2mm seatpost 1mm too wide".
As noted in the UK forum, a solution is to either sand it or lathe the post. One could sand the ID of the seat tube, too. But since I have the same issue with the Satori post on two separate bikes, the Satori "27.2mm" seatpost is the issue. The seat tube has the adj. clamp. It should allow for small discrepancies in posts of the popular 27.2mm size. That was part of the OP query.
Nobody here at BF gave clear a solution -- just hubris and small talk; the UK forum or R-ed-it threads do provide practical solns.
Firstly, let me state here and now for the record that seat posts are a near press fit in the frame. What you are suggesting is that you should allow .6mm of motion of the seat post in the frame. multiply that the lever arm and you will have a saddle that wobbles a very noticeable amount. Doing this would cause fairly rapid fatigue of the frame.

The forums you mention give potentially dangerous solutions without mentioning the issues. I gave you several very good solutions:
1) heat/chill to make it a press fit. This is the only potentially safe way to make that post fit.
2) remove material from the frame. this will reduce the strength of the frame. Will it be strong enough? Beats me.
3) remove material from the post. How thick is the metal on that post? Will it be strong enough? Beats me.
4) obtain the correct diameter seat post. It may not be available because your frame uses a deprecated diameter seat post. Accept this fact and move on.

What you wanted was for someone to tell you that taking 0.3 mm off the wall thickness of the seat post will be OK. Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. I have had a seat post break under me. You don't want to experience that.

Someone else has pointed out that this is a very poorly designed item. Steel springs provide almost zero damping. The amount of energy dissipated as heat in the spring will be minimal. The energy transfered to your body will be almost the same; you will just be bouncing more.

It will yield a variable distance between the pedals and the saddle, which is not a good thing.

By the way... Amazon gave you clear directions. RTFM!
Important Note: The installation diameter is 27.2mm, please be sure to confirm clearly before purchasing. In order to obtain a more comfortable riding experience, the weight of the rider is recommended to be between 187lbs~264lbs/85KG~120KG.
Old 05-19-24, 08:54 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 152 Posts
Seriously? Again, if you’re not measuring the inside diameter of your seatpost, you’re just guessing, and it seems you guessed wrong.

FWIW, I have a Team Fuji that is around the same vintage as your Miyata, I checked yesterday, and your 27.2 seatpost definitely would not fit.
Old 05-19-24, 10:15 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Perhaps this forum should have a portal into one of the more popular AI engines. Here is the response generated for your post.

When dealing with a seat post that doesn't fit in your bicycle, here’s what you need to measure and check:

1. **Seat Post Diameter**: Measure the outer diameter of your seat post. This is typically done using a caliper. The diameter is usually marked on the seat post itself, but measuring it can confirm the exact size.

2. **Seat Tube Inner Diameter**: Measure the inner diameter of your seat tube, where the seat post inserts. This also should be done using a caliper to ensure precision.

3. **Length of the Seat Post**: Ensure the length of the seat post is appropriate for your bike and riding style. While this doesn't affect the fit in the tube, it's important for adjusting the seat height properly.

4. **Check for Roundness**: Verify that both the seat post and the seat tube are round and not deformed. Any dents or out-of-roundness can cause fitting issues.

5. **Insertion Depth**: Check that the seat post can be inserted to the minimum insertion depth marked on the post. This is important for safety and structural integrity.

**Steps to Take If There's a Problem:**

1. **Clean the Seat Tube**: Dirt and debris inside the seat tube can cause fitting problems. Clean it thoroughly.

2. **Check for Damage**: Look for any damage or deformities in the seat tube or seat post.

3. **Correct Seat Post Size**: Ensure you have the correct size seat post. If it’s too large or small, you may need a different size.

4. **Use a Shim**: If the seat post is too small for the seat tube, a shim can be used to make it fit correctly.

5. **Seek Professional Help**: If you're still having trouble, take your bike to a professional bike shop. They can provide precise measurements and solutions.

By measuring the seat post and seat tube accurately and checking for any issues, you can determine why the seat post doesn't fit and take the necessary steps to resolve the problem.

The best part is if you don’t agree with the response you can argue infinitely a not waist others time.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-19-24, 11:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
OP has received good advice and seems to have chosen to ignore it. The thread is just going to deteriorate from here. I'm closing for moderator review.