Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who else is watching the Netflix Tour de France documentary?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Who else is watching the Netflix Tour de France documentary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24, 08:58 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Liked 437 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
That's the problem with professional sports. We wanted a warm and cuddly conclusion to the stage. R and V were instead thinking of next year's contract negotiations.

And reasonably enough. A stage win for either of them would likely be followed by team support, including from Kuss, for the remaining stages, and a stronger negotiating position regarding their salaries for the next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were bargaining with the DS over their radios, as they rode along, to get a guarantee that if they let Kuss win it would be treated as a win for the two of them, too, monetarily.
In this year's edition, there is so much talk of "oh, the sponsors won't like this..." or, "...we invested so much in him, it's not paying off...."

As has been said about other professional sports, to the fans it's a passion, to the players, it's a job, to the owners, it's a business."
Likes For bblair:
Old 06-18-24, 09:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,636 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
In this year's edition, there is so much talk of "oh, the sponsors won't like this..." or, "...we invested so much in him, it's not paying off...."

As has been said about other professional sports, to the fans it's a passion, to the players, it's a job, to the owners, it's a business."
Read the Jonathon Vaughters, bio which explains how difficult and stressful it is to get/keep sponsors, riders and logistics. For me it was a real eye-opener.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-18-24, 09:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,967 Times in 4,200 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

Yep. When you start following the money, and how much that money demands results, you can start to see why riders - and even whole teams - go down the PED road.
Old 06-18-24, 11:52 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I posted on my own thread in the Entertainment section but this thread is getting way more attention. Watched the series in 2 sittings! Its very well-done. I think I prefer it to season 1.

What Netflix show does Lance have????
Old 06-18-24, 12:09 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8

Liked 533 Times in 341 Posts
Is this netflix show going to be like the F1 one? That resulted in a wave of newbies who thought they were now "fans" inundating the usual F1 outlets. Mostly just idiots parroting their show's content. Sent some F1 old timers like me running for the exits. I hate newbies.
Old 06-18-24, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,418 Times in 3,740 Posts
As long as the newbies that stay are more than the old timers that leave, then that'll be a plus and the sport will have some reason to continue and exist.

Noobs are important to most anything.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-18-24, 02:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Is this netflix show going to be like the F1 one? That resulted in a wave of newbies who thought they were now "fans" inundating the usual F1 outlets. Mostly just idiots parroting their show's content. Sent some F1 old timers like me running for the exits. I hate newbies.
Yes, the TDF series is a similar format to the F1 series.

I'm one of those "newbie" fans of F1, drawn in by the first season of the Netflix series. My son got on the train the next season, and follows the day-to-day stories of F1 much closer than I do. We aren't able to watch races together very often these days, but we both enjoy chatting about the races, drivers, and rumors when we get the chance. It's a lot of fun for both of us. It's kind of a bummer to learn that there are elitist attitudes like yours. Maybe you should go outside and yell at clouds for a while to calm down.

I've been a fan of cycling for a very long time. If the TDF Netflix series brings in a bunch of new fans, that's just fine with me. I'm happy to talk about the sport with them, and share what I know. I hope it inspires some of them to start riding bikes.
Old 06-18-24, 02:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I posted on my own thread in the Entertainment section but this thread is getting way more attention. Watched the series in 2 sittings! Its very well-done. I think I prefer it to season 1.

Netfilx has recently added ESPN's "30 for 30" about Lance (originally from 2020). It's 2 episodes.
Old 06-18-24, 02:12 PM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I think what's being referred is the 30 for 30 show that originally aired on ESPN during the pandemic. Netflix has the rights now. It's a good watch.
Old 06-18-24, 02:13 PM
howaboutme

Originally Posted by rsbob
This is a big change from the Lance era (yeah, he has a Netflix series on as well - start the hate speak) where competitors were the enemy and were to be hated, demeaned and demolished. I too saw the welcome change of opponents hugging one another or giving fist bumps for the winners. A very welcome change.
Lance actually discussed this on his The Move Podcast not too long ago. He basically says, he doesn't understand how competitors can hug it out.
Likes For howaboutme:
Old 06-18-24, 02:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by howaboutme
Lance actually discussed this on his The Move Podcast not too long ago. He basically says, he doesn't understand how competitors can hug it out.
Yes. He still can't let go of his "me vs. them" mentality. As I understand it, his respect for his fellow competitors was limited exclusively to Jan Ullrich.
Old 06-18-24, 03:32 PM
howaboutme

Originally Posted by Eric F
Yes. He still can't let go of his "me vs. them" mentality. As I understand it, his respect for his fellow competitors was limited exclusively to Jan Ullrich.
I don't think that mentality is exclusive to Lance. That killer instinct is in a lot of other elite athletes getting to or at the top. His attitude on other things aside,of course.
Old 06-18-24, 04:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I don't think that mentality is exclusive to Lance. That killer instinct is in a lot of other elite athletes getting to or at the top. His attitude on other things aside,of course.
I agree. With all of that.
Old 06-18-24, 05:03 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 834 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectrumTi
I think Ben comes off ok, but annoying because in the end he’s not on form. The guy who seems like a real jerk is Pidcock. Maybe because he’s also not really on form. He’s too eager to throw his teammate Nader the bus.
Having seen 6 episodes now, you may be right...
Old 06-18-24, 05:33 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,878 Times in 3,628 Posts
So out of the current generation of riders, who would you say behaves anything like Lance or the numerous Euro snakes of earlier decades? To me the current breed seem more balanced, probably because of the way modern pro teams nurture their riders from an early age. I see the same in most other sports.
Old 06-18-24, 05:39 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 834 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So out of the current generation of riders, who would you say behaves anything like Lance or the numerous Euro snakes of earlier decades? To me the current breed seem more balanced, probably because of the way modern pro teams nurture their riders from an early age. I see the same in most other sports.
Philipsen is presented as a sort of bad guy, kill'em all if needed, in the documentary.
Old 06-18-24, 05:48 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,878 Times in 3,628 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Philipsen is presented as a sort of bad guy, kill'em all if needed, in the documentary.
Yeah, sprinters tend to be naturally more aggressive, fiery characters. I don’t know much about Philipsen off the bike so will watch with interest.
Old 06-18-24, 06:03 PM
Trakhak

Liked 3,608 Times in 2,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Don't forget the time Lance let Pantani win an important mountain stage. From a quick search:

"Marco Pantani has been fuming since Armstrong let the fiery Italian win the Tour's 12th stage on Thursday after the pair arrived together to the top of Mont Ventoux, one of the Tour's most revered climbs. Pantani did not appreciate Lance Armstrong's Stage 12 concession."

Pantani lambasted Armstrong in the Italian press. That's what prompted Lance's later comment, "No more gifts."

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-18-24, 06:22 PM
howaboutme

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't think this generation is the same. There may be some similar examples, as stated above, but I agree that we have moved away from what it was in the past. Just look at basketball. They all love each other and hug it out after a game. I don't think Jordan did that. I mean, he hated Pippen because he was the 2nd best player in the NBA! (Okay, I may be exaggerating on the 2nd best thing, but you know what I mean.)
Old 06-19-24, 05:29 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,327 Times in 1,162 Posts
My wife and I are big fans of the F! series. She doesn't want to know what is going on before the next season. I get new snippets on my phone and have an idea of the turmoil of current season. Looking forward to the next Netflix season.

WRT the TdF series, I love watching the race in July. The Netflix season recaps are a nice supplement to the racing. It is clear that there is a significant effort to sensationalize the back stories, although some of it is raw. My impression of season 2 was how much Jonas was not included.

Clearly teams have different objectives base on the talent they can afford to put on the team. This appears to be common in all sports.

I did find the Lance series fascinating. I don't like is personality, but he has characteristics often found in very successful people, like it or not. In the series he appeared to be very straight forward and unapologetic for who he is.,while still acknowledging his behaviors and attitude. In the end he says he wouldn't change a thing but doesn't explain what he means. I wonder if he takes that perspective because of what he considers his wins at the same time accepting who he has become due to the overwhelming challenges he has experienced. Don't know or care too much. He is still an xxxhole in my book.

In terms of adversarial relationships and competitiveness, I think of Eddie. Such a contrast to nearly anyone since. before him it was Major Taylor.
Sports is a battlefield with competing strategies, some at all costs to obtain a win. Rules are in place to make it "fair." What does that even mean given the diversity of each human in every way?

Old 06-19-24, 06:25 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Liked 2,097 Times in 877 Posts
I think the series does a great job of telling stories from within the teams and riders.
Old 06-19-24, 11:08 AM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,501 Times in 1,829 Posts
Besides the riders and the teams, I like how the series shows the overall speed of the peloton and how close fans get to the riders.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-19-24, 11:29 AM
JK360

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
very good.
Old 06-19-24, 11:43 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by SJX426
My wife and I are big fans of the F! series. She doesn't want to know what is going on before the next season. I get new snippets on my phone and have an idea of the turmoil of current season. Looking forward to the next Netflix season.
I've gone the other way. The first season of the F1 series got me interested in the racing. Now, I'm more interested in the racing than I am the series, and haven't watched the last couple of seasons. I follow a bunch of different F1-related accounts on social media, so much of the drama in the series isn't new to me.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-20-24 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-20-24, 07:35 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Liked 841 Times in 545 Posts
I enjoyed this latest TdF series.
Very entertaining and great to get all the cyclist interviews and views on the safety and quality risks with the tour and events. Especially concerning are the sprinting events where the overly agressive physical boxing out attempts where safe lines are not maintained and accidents have thus happened. The green jersey winner for sure used such risks and caused such accidents. As Wout said, if such rules are not enforced then they will become part of the tactics.
Likes For joesch:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.