Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will an Aero bike be a mistake for me?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will an Aero bike be a mistake for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 08:33 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
You plagerize someone else’s work and show no regrets. That would also be the real problem.

pla·gia·rize...
Old 11-29-17, 07:07 PM
gt3racerich

Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I assume those are 1.38, 1.38, etc?

You're talking about some pretty darn minor differences. I wouldn't even worry about it...

For instance...on the aeroad, 2 CM of spacers, and a 1cm shorter stem would make the aeroad LESS agressive than the Ultimate.

Conversely...throwing a 110mm stem on the ultimate, and slamming it/flipping it/etc, would make it MORE aggressive than both those bikes.

I'd make your decision based on whether you want a lightweight bike, or an aero bike. The geometry, at least in terms of fit, seem so close as to be insignificant. But what do I know
Yes, sorry. 1.38, 1.38, and 1.35.
I think however there is something wrong with those numbers as Canyon lists the stack to reach ratio on the Ultimate as 1.45.
Old 11-29-17, 08:37 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gt3racerich
Yes, sorry. 1.38, 1.38, and 1.35.
I think however there is something wrong with those numbers as Canyon lists the stack to reach ratio on the Ultimate as 1.45.
If you credit Rolo with an understanding of such matters, all of these bikes are below the ideal of 1.5 and most recreational cyclists will probably appreciate having an even higher ratio (hence, more spacers above the head tube).
Old 12-03-17, 07:14 AM
vicbastige

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get two bikes.

...winning.
Old 12-03-17, 12:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,722 Times in 1,961 Posts
Originally Posted by vicbastige
Get two bikes.

...winning.
Here is a many who truly understands. Winner!
Old 08-26-23, 12:00 PM
gt3racerich

Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
So, six years later I thought I would update this thread.
As much as I wanted a new bike, I just couldn't find THE one, for many reasons. I was happy riding the Litespeed. Over this time I got better all around, the hills in my area made sure of that and I had no issues with the fit of the Litespeed.
The area I live in has many paths and trails so last year I bought a Ridley Kanzo Fast. It is an Aero gravel bike and I thought I would also use it as a less aggressive road bike as well as using it for gravel.
Well, I'll cut to the chase. In the back of my mind I still wanted an Aeroad. It was a moot point since Canyon seemed to never have my size available and I stopped looking long ago, but recently the urge was getting stronger so I started looking again.
This morning when I checked they had new stock and the components and color (very important:-) I wanted was in stock.
So this morning, at age 65, six years after starting this thread, I ordered an Aeroad. It should ship Monday and I can't wait!!!
Likes For gt3racerich:
Old 08-26-23, 01:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Liked 384 Times in 289 Posts
Aero bikes are designed for straight line riding at a steady speed and not the best choice for hilly terrain. The old triathalon bikes were quite similar to today's endurance bike in terms of frame geometry and made for a very nice ride. An endurance bike with aero handlebars or extensions might be worthwhile but only if you want to ride a fixed course and reduce your times.

There is a trend to measuring our performance and logging in the data from rides and using special watches like the Garmin Forerunner and that is fine if you are a numbers fixated person. For me it goes against a key aspect of riding to be free of clocks and schedules and keep it as a recreational activity.
Old 08-26-23, 03:55 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Liked 1,235 Times in 532 Posts
So, six years later I thought I would update this thread. [...] six years after starting this thread, I ordered an Aeroad. It should ship Monday and I can't wait!!!
Thanks for the update. Best wishes with your new bike!
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-28-23, 11:00 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
I would love to get a Canyon Aeroad but am wondering if it would be a mistake and I should get an Ultimate.
I am 59 yrs old and started riding again after 10+ years off.
I am riding a 2000 Litespeed Palmares. When I first got back to riding it was killing my neck and back and I was going to purchase an Endurace (endurance bike). I made some tweaks to my bike and really improved quickly. I am riding 60 miles (about 25 miles of hills) with only minimal pain. I moved on from wanting an Endurace to the Ultimate but as I said, I would really love an Aeroad.
When I look at the geometry, my Litespeed is actually more aggressive then the Ultimate and even the Aeroad. They did not have reach and stack numbers in 2000 so I estimated fairly closely.
The reach on the Aeroad is less then my bike but the stack is less as well. I am at the small end for needing an XS so the stack would not be so extreme? I don't know if I am missing something or an Aero bike would have more things to consider?
Another thing I don't understand is how the Aeroad for an XS frame has a top tube of 527 (the same as an Endurace?) and a reach of 376 yet an XS Utimate has a top tube of 529 and a reach of 378. Those numbers would mean the Aeroad (aero bike) is slightly less aggressive then the ultimate (road bike)?
Sorry for the long post but look forward to any thoughts. I know Canyon offers a 30 day exchange but would rather order the right bike to begin with.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
As someone who road an Ultimate and Aeroad I can confirm they feel basically the same even though the Ultimate is techically more agressive geo. IMO Both are pretty hard bikes to adjust unless you know your size since they all rely on Canyon's one piece cockpits and Canyon USA no longer allows you to change your cockpit size. Like you alluded to, I will say if you are worried about the agressive geo than the Ultimate isn't a greta chocie because really the only difference between that an the Aeroad is the aero nature of the frame.

IMO if you want a "race" bike I would look into a Cervelo Soloist which isn't as nearly as difficult to work on and get your fit dialed in but you will get a decently lightweight bike w/ aero benenfits. You also could look into a Specialized Aethos which will give a much more compliant ride compared to all the mentioned bikes albeilt the geo is still "race" oriented mimicking the Tarmacs but at leats you easily could swap out the handlebars and stem to whatever size or even to aero ones

Last edited by Jrasero; 08-28-23 at 01:20 PM.