Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When did cycling gloves go out of fashion?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When did cycling gloves go out of fashion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 06:18 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,084 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
How would it affect your personal choice if the pros did stop wearing helmets? I presume you don’t wear a helmet anyway.
...my attempt at sarcasm flopped I guess. I presently do wear a helmet but going to try weaning myself from wearing one.
Old 05-27-24, 07:07 AM
13velos
Cyclist

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX50, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1982 Trek 720, 1970 Motoconfort, 2023 Soma Pescadero

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I had quit wearing gloves for a number of years until I had carpal tunnel surgery on my hand. I bought some really cheap gloves to help with the post-surgery discomfort and am still wearing gloves all these years later.
Old 05-27-24, 08:10 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Liked 259 Times in 136 Posts
I find gloves very convenient for snot-management.
Your mucus may vary.
Likes For NJgreyhead:
Old 05-27-24, 11:25 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,631 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
Can’t wait until helmets get dumped…..who needs em…..
Cheaper than a neurosurgeon. Had a good friend many years back take a low speed tumble without a helmet and smacked her noggin so hard, she was unconscious in the ICU for weeks and could never return to work because her eggs were so scrambled. She never fully regained her mental faculties.

Also witnessed an autopsy where I guy ran into a light pole and the resulting pressure in his brain caused it to turn into the consistency of red Cream of Wheat. That image is indelibly etched.

So it can never happen to you? Unfortunately on a bike, you can’t always control all the variables.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-27-24, 02:17 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,084 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Cheaper than a neurosurgeon. Had a good friend many years back take a low speed tumble without a helmet and smacked her noggin so hard, she was unconscious in the ICU for weeks and could never return to work because her eggs were so scrambled. She never fully regained her mental faculties.

Also witnessed an autopsy where I guy ran into a light pole and the resulting pressure in his brain caused it to turn into the consistency of red Cream of Wheat. That image is indelibly etched.

So it can never happen to you? Unfortunately on a bike, you can’t always control all the variables.
most of the brains I have seen looked nothing like cream of wheat...more like chunks of chicken...
Old 05-27-24, 04:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jadmt
most of the brains I have seen looked nothing like cream of wheat...more like chunks of chicken...
Evidently they didn’t simmer long enough.

Old 05-28-24, 12:16 AM
VegasJen

Liked 713 Times in 385 Posts
I don't pay attention to what the pros do, I'm so far removed. But I wear gloves on every ride because road rash hurts.
Old 05-28-24, 09:56 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 771 Times in 506 Posts
2024 Giro - Stage 19, Andrea Piccolo -EF team, hit a small pothole which turned his front wheel. He endo'd and landed arms down and on his torso and knees.
Tore himself up quite a lot.
Wasn't wearing gloves and both his hands were so badly torn, he couldn't even put them down to get himself up...
Abandon... It'll be a long recovery.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-28-24, 11:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by cyclezen
2024 Giro - Stage 19, Andrea Piccolo -EF team, hit a small pothole which turned his front wheel. He endo'd and landed arms down and on his torso and knees.
Wasn't wearing gloves and both his hands were so badly torn, he couldn't even put them down to get himself up...
Ride On
Yuri
Yeoch!

Old 05-29-24, 06:40 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,876 Times in 3,626 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Ride On
Yuri
I bet he wears gloves from now on. Tuck and roll crash “technique” obviously didn’t work for him either! Many crashes like this are beyond our control and then it helps if you have some form of protection. Helmet and fingerless gloves is a bare minimum for me and I sometimes wear light elbow and knee pads for mtb, which have saved some nasty injuries over the years.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-29-24, 11:07 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I bet he wears gloves from now on. Tuck and roll crash “technique” obviously didn’t work for him either! Many crashes like this are beyond our control and then it helps if you have some form of protection. Helmet and fingerless gloves is a bare minimum for me and I sometimes wear light elbow and knee pads for mtb, which have saved some nasty injuries over the years.
I hear that about elbow and knee pads. Finally graduated to those after too many bruises and blood loss. Never was as good as I thought I could be.

Old 05-29-24, 03:48 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,876 Times in 3,626 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I hear that about elbow and knee pads. Finally graduated to those after too many bruises and blood loss. Never was as good as I thought I could be.
Yeah I’ve walked away unscathed from numerous mtb crashes that would have certainly removed all the skin off my knees and elbows. Wearing pads is something I picked up from my skateboarding youth. I don’t wear them all the time for mtb, but certainly anywhere unfamiliar and challenging.
Old 05-29-24, 06:40 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Liked 259 Times in 136 Posts
This from BQ's Jan Heine:
"In longer events, numb hands and even nerve damage are common. The Rene Herse Randonneur bars may look unconventional, but they’ve evolved from a shape that has been fine-tuned for decades. The upsweep provides three-dimensional support for the palms of your hands to eliminate pressure points. (The palms of your hands aren’t flat when you hold the bars.) This works so well that I’ve stopped using gloves for these long adventures. I found that gloves can bunch up and cause blisters—and I just don’t need them any longer."

Unbound XL: Jan’s Bike – Rene Herse Cycles
Old 05-29-24, 07:04 PM
cweb99

Liked 176 Times in 70 Posts
I don’t wear gloves

soon I won’t wear shorts or a jersey

just a helmet and clipless shoes it’s the future
Old 05-29-24, 08:10 PM
LarrySellerz

Liked 499 Times in 363 Posts
I might start wearing gloves on one of my bikes, got a single speed and the grips or tape gave me chemical burns on my hands.

Over 2 weeks after exposure

I got a shop to switch the tape, but now I’m paranoid and don’t trust the hoods, they say I need new brake levers to swap that. Considering using gloves when riding that bike, and I often dont wear a shirt, usually don’t wear a helmet, use street shoes, feel like gloves would look silly. But I have tough hands (work with them for a living) and this was not a mechanical rubbing of skin. Could be Lyme disease but that would be a bizarre symtom. It looks a bit better than the picture now, but still tender like 3 weeks later.

as for crashing, I’ve torn up my hands while crashing, and for me that isn’t reason to wear gloves. I’d be shocked if I don’t tear them up again at some point, it’s just something I accept. Cost of doing business I suppose, wearing padding in case of a worst scenario is bad juju in my opinion.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-29-24 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-30-24, 08:05 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 56 Times in 35 Posts
I have been wearing them since the middle 1970s. Better grip of the hoods and drops, can wipe sweat away from the brow better, safer in a crash, prevention from sunburn....
Old 05-30-24, 10:23 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I have been wearing them since the middle 1970s. Better grip of the hoods and drops, can wipe sweat away from the brow better, safer in a crash, prevention from sunburn....
Waaay too logical and rational. And you forgot shock absorption. Now clean up your act!

Old 05-30-24, 10:27 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,313 Times in 3,301 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Considering using gloves when riding that bike, and I often dont wear a shirt, usually don’t wear a helmet, use street shoes, feel like gloves would look silly.
Yeah, that would look silly.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-30-24, 11:16 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,352 Times in 1,237 Posts
I expect modern padded tape is ultimately the reason.

I rode with gloves for years, for all the reasons discussed.

I'll occasionally ride gloveless these days, even on a 200k if weather is nice. If weather is cool, I'll wear unpadded full fingered gloves. I don't find padding helps comfort. With unpadded tape, gloves mattered for comfort.

I've crashed with gloves and without. With is better. Not crashing is even better. I make my decisions and accept the consequences. The boney protrusions at ankle, hip, and elbow would also benefit from protection. I have scars on scars there.

​​​​​
Old 05-30-24, 11:21 AM
Trakhak

Liked 3,598 Times in 2,036 Posts
Interesting. The responses in this thread show who does and who doesn't read both thread titles and opening posts. Seems to run about ten who don't to every one who does.
Old 05-30-24, 12:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,313 Times in 3,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Interesting. The responses in this thread show who does and who doesn't read both thread titles and opening posts. Seems to run about ten who don't to every one who does.
As noted in post #17, the premise of the opening post appears to be false, so reading it is of questionable value.

https://www.giroditalia.it/en/foto/
Old 05-30-24, 01:33 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 771 Times in 506 Posts
Most threads are a start of a conversation, and like conversations, they wander broadly. Sometimes the OP has a specific Q or Qs. That will wander also.
There are always plenty of other conversations, when one no longer has interest in any particular one...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-30-24, 02:28 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Liked 45 Times in 23 Posts
Unless it's well below 10 degC I never wear gloves when riding and haven't for several decades. I see no point. I wear full finger gloves when it gets cold.

The safety angle for me is nonsense given that I've crashed once in the last 15 years and when that happened my front wheel slipped out so quickly that I went straight down onto my shoulder, still holding the bars. And I ride a lot, at a reasonably fast pace, and have done lots of TT racing.

I ride somewhere with a low accident likelihood (rural roads with virtually no traffic). For the infinitesimallly small likelihood of crashing I choose to wear a helmet (high stakes: brain damage prevention) but not gloves (low stakes: gravel rash prevention).

If I road raced I would 100% wear gloves.

Horses for courses.
Likes For Groasters:
Old 05-30-24, 02:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,964 Times in 4,200 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
As noted in post #17, the premise of the opening post appears to be false, so reading it is of questionable value.

https://www.giroditalia.it/en/foto/
Looking through pics of Stage 15, Pog had no gloves at the finish, but was wearing gloves in an earlier pic. He ditched them at some point.
Old 05-30-24, 03:14 PM
cweb99

Liked 176 Times in 70 Posts
Gloves are like condoms. Good protection yet without them it feels so good
Likes For cweb99:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.