Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Charlie's Shed - Parts and tools

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Charlie's Shed - Parts and tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 06:57 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2528 Post(s)
Liked 3,349 Times in 2,099 Posts
Originally Posted by John D
Those are barrel adjusters/stops.
Yes they are, now that I get a better look on my chromebook.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 05-08-24, 07:41 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 2,238 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by GCBM

Packson Perfection
4 spd

Made in France SGSD
I am often contacted by folks looking for four-speed freewheels. I've never had nor serviced one. It's nice to see a NOS one. I've never seen this manufacturer. Thanks for posting.

6 spd corncobs 13-18 - yes they probably need your spa treatment
It's too bad the sprockets have rusted. The ORO/gold does not shine as well as Regina ORO, but they can be really pretty freewheels. If you'd like to send them my way for a rehab and de-rusting, I can see what I can accomplish in restoring them.

Thanks for posting all these pictures. I'd like to state, this has to be the best thread of the 2020s!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 05-08-24, 10:25 AM
GCBM

Bikes: Primary bike - late 70's gold ALAN Competition; mostly Campy with Huret Jubilee deraiileurs;When I joined that was my primary. Now back to my 1979/80 Shogun 600 since I can change everything and not feel like I'm committing sacrilege...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by John D
Those are barrel adjusters/stops.
Thanks jdawg, John D. I'm running through so much I don't notice everything until I try to caption the photo

braze on cover barrel adjusters/stops indeed
Old 05-08-24, 10:28 AM
GCBM

Bikes: Primary bike - late 70's gold ALAN Competition; mostly Campy with Huret Jubilee deraiileurs;When I joined that was my primary. Now back to my 1979/80 Shogun 600 since I can change everything and not feel like I'm committing sacrilege...

Thank PastorBob... but I'm going to see if we can find anything else interesting and cluster related in his used boxes
Old 05-08-24, 10:40 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 400 Posts
I was a conveyor mechanic for 30+ years and I've used chain breakers just like this. Now, I'm having flashbacks to a job I couldn't wait to retire and get away from . I just wish the ones we had were the same manufacturer as yours. We were on "radio call" and it would have been fun calling one of my partners and asking him to bring the King D*ck.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 05-08-24, 01:46 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 195 Posts
this is an awesome thread to watch. some of these items are quite rare, and to see them in quantity, in NOS condition, is pretty amazing. And then other items aren't particularly valuable at all, but still very cool to see from just a historical or "what the heck is that thing?!" perspective.
Old 05-08-24, 04:36 PM
GCBM

Thanks. Some of this I never had a need to see in the shop - the HTK stand, didn't realize we had it - and thought - maybe from when we were selling Puch scooters? Other things, just the mundane collection of freewheel removers remind you of just how many different manufacturers and their specific tools you had to be aware of. I just happen to like all the different spoke wrenches. I know there was another one I thought I threw in a bag that was a long gold/brass color knurled body with an angled wedge cut that was about 3/4" long at one end. Looked like you would hold it like a pen... At least I think it's a spoke wrench... when I find it and post it one of you folk will educate me on how it has some other purpose that will become obvious once you tell me lol. Still many cabinets and shelves to run through...
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-08-24, 04:47 PM
GCBM

I believe Columbia but I could easily be wrong - not my era at all
Actually found a guy who wanted this and two other partial frames that had the shaft drives intact (old, dirty, but intact). Turns out he's out of Alameda and specializes in Hi-Wheelers (Penny Farthings, Boneshakers whatever you want to call them) in fact has a shop making replicas "Rideable Bicycle Replicas" - said these could be end of same period as his specialty area, although different style entirely, but could probably find homes for the parts amongst the folk in his circle.
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-08-24, 11:39 PM
GCBM

TA Crank arm remover - found separate from others

maybe diameter or threading different from others?
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-08-24, 11:44 PM
GCBM

And a question - whose quick release?

And I only have one... I've got Campy, Maillard, Atom, Simplex, Spidel etc... but this no name - someone will recognize

Old 05-08-24, 11:50 PM
GCBM

what tool?

Isn't this a bottom bracket fixed cup remover? When the cup face edges are rounded or screwed up? Or you tried really hard to remove a cup thinking it was British ... but it wasn't... and you ended up with the cup face edges rounded or screwed up
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-09-24, 09:23 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,151 Posts
And I only have one... I've got Campy, Maillard, Atom, Simplex, Spidel etc... but this no name - someone will recognize
I think "Ringle" was the first with this 3-hole design, but there were others. This one might be "Ti-Stix."
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 05-09-24, 01:00 PM
GCBM

Originally Posted by obrentharris
I think "Ringle" was the first with this 3-hole design, but there were others. This one might be "Ti-Stix."
Brent
Brent!!! Thank you.
And I think your "Ringle" suggestion is the correct answer as I found an image of a Ringle for sale (below). You might note it has a rubber O-ring on the threaded end. Mine has the ridge space without the O-ring
Old 05-10-24, 11:28 AM
GCBM

Cyclo... what?

I have a vague recollection of asking Charlie about this ... but can't recall an answer. Thought some kind of adjustment tool, but I see the slot now and all that comes to mind is a spoke wrench...

Seems like a lot of metal and a wasted end just to be a spoke wrench... google image search didn't bring up anything in the first couple pages so I leave it to the cognescenti
Old 05-10-24, 07:29 PM
GCBM

I have a vague recollection of asking Charlie about this ... but can't recall an answer. Thought some kind of adjustment tool, but I see the slot now and all that comes to mind is a spoke wrench...

Seems like a lot of metal and a wasted end just to be a spoke wrench... google image search didn't bring up anything in the first couple pages so I leave it to the cognescenti
Through an image search I found a British eBay listing ... and they seem to be guessing as much as I am...
"CYCLO Genuine VERY RARE workshop tool 1940 - 1950’s in excellent condition."
"Believed to hold the gear changer in place while replacing the movement SPRING or TOGGLE CHAIN"
"Purchased in the 1940's or 50's directly from CYCLO Gear Company when in Potters Hill Aston, Birmingham before their move to Belgrave Road, Handsworth for our Birmingham bicycle shop 1932-1998 and transferred to our Sidmouth shop 1993-2014"

And they refer to an old,old Benelux ad image of a derailleur that look like some of the old Simplex models with the pull chain and the big coil spring?
Old 05-10-24, 07:40 PM
GCBM

maybe the slotted side slips into where the chain pull comes out, the chain pull fitting the slot as you adjust...something?

Image from Disraeligears of a Cyclo Benelx Mark 8 Tourist
Old 05-11-24, 08:11 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 315 Posts
Don't happen to have any simplex retrofriction shifter springs?
Old 05-11-24, 09:18 PM
GCBM

Stronglight, TA and a little Simplex... cranks and chainrings

Stronglight, TA & Simplex... maybe some Japanese mixed in

Campy, Ofmega... and definitely Japanese
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-11-24, 09:21 PM
GCBM

Stronglight cranks... from steel cottored "Competition" to several others lol

I cleaned up the steel a bit later...
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-11-24, 09:34 PM
GCBM

Stonglight, TA and Simplex Chain rings

6 hole, 5 hole - and different spacing

5 hole, 3 hole

oddest cut on the spider connectors

open face, big oval and small oval, only big oval

more mixed spacing

small triangle above bolt hole vs big triangle...

rounded versus straight cut

three different star patterns

rounded vs straight cut
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-11-24, 09:36 PM
GCBM

Stronglight chainguard

Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-11-24, 09:43 PM
GCBM

TA Chainrings: 49, 50, 56, 60, 63, 64, 65 and 66 teeth

yeah... from how many 63 - 66 there are, well, guess better freewheels came in to get the same gear inches/development... but for the wall mounting decorations...
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-11-24, 09:49 PM
GCBM

Not sure who made this... Williams???

REGD No 909182? I found one reference online to a "Williams" crank alloy adaptor

not flat...
Likes For GCBM:
Old 05-11-24, 09:53 PM
GCBM

Campy and Ofmega -

The Ofmega and two Campy Pista rings
Old 05-11-24, 09:55 PM
GCBM

An unmarked chainring, but the squiggle before the teeth marking looks familiar

Recognize the brand from that squiggle???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.