Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I Just an Angry Loner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 04:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4072 Post(s)
Liked 7,665 Times in 3,076 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
I think the unwashed masses are reading too much into my proposition.

The thesis is and remains as follows "The sheer volume of 5 am groups was a shock, a whole other world revealed while I would normally be sipping a morning coffee. Besides the "pro" type groups that race around the main roads at all times of day, I expected the city's masses would have adopted cycling as a solitary endeavour."
And yet, in virtually all of your posts, you've stated why you have no interest in participating in group rides.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-19-24, 04:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7163 Post(s)
Liked 11,366 Times in 4,858 Posts
Just coming back from a long solo ride I can safely add that I want to use the bushes when I want to use the bushes. No shame or uncomfortable conversations about the ethics of urinating in "nature"

The sheer volume of 5 am groups was a shock, a whole other world revealed while I would normally be sipping a morning coffee. Besides the "pro" type groups that race around the main roads at all times of day, I expected the city's masses would have adopted cycling as a solitary endeavour.
I'm glad that I lack the insight and intelligence to just know what I'll dislike before I even try it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-19-24, 04:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7733 Post(s)
Liked 3,665 Times in 1,934 Posts
Never have and never will. Group biking contradicts my core values of self-motivation and self-determination.
I am going to restrain my own core impulses here and be kind ....

One has to motivate oneself to do anything ..... including arranging for, getting to, and participating in a group ride. If you have no motivation to do a thing it doesn't get done, whether you do it alone or with others.

Further, riding in a group is not a group riding---it is You riding, and if you don't turn Your pedals, You sit in the parking lot, unmotivated.

Further, You determine where and when to ride and how, no matter who is around. if you are riding with a group and want to go faster, ride off the front. if you want to go slower, drop off the back. If you want to take a break, pull over. In no way does having people around prevent you from determining your own course---I hope.

If you are about to drive to the store to pick up items too bulky or heavy to fit on your bike and friend says, "Hey I need to go to that same store, can I get a ride," do you tell him'/her to get stuffed because it would go against your core values?

And of course you never go on a date, because going to dinner or a movie As a group (of two) would go against your core values.

And you only work alone, from home, on your own jobs because working with others would violate your core values.

You know ... great that you learned a few vocabulary words, but you do know that words relate to and indicate real-World situation, right? The actual definition of thee word isn't what is in the dictionary, but how it relates to the shared reality in which we exist ... and when your words are not indicative of that shared reality, they are nonsense.

No problem with trying to get all conceptual, but if the concepts are divergent from reality .... that is psychosis.

Say, did it occur to you that you are participating in a Group chat here, a conversation with a Group, and when you respond to our posts ... We are controlling your responses to a degree. Where is the self-determination and self-motivation you hold so dearly?

I will not mention the obvious solutions ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-19-24, 05:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 5,829 Times in 2,946 Posts
The smell of old socks is leaking from my laptop.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-24, 05:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
I think the unwashed masses are reading too much into my proposition.

The thesis is and remains as follows "The sheer volume of 5 am groups was a shock, a whole other world revealed while I would normally be sipping a morning coffee. Besides the "pro" type groups that race around the main roads at all times of day, I expected the city's masses would have adopted cycling as a solitary endeavour."

Of course, this being a forum, a supposition of negativity coalesced and as Taylor so eloquently ruminates...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM
That is not a "thesis". That is simply a statement about your own reaction to what you (ostensibly) 'observed' in relation to your 'expectations'. If you are going to engage in sophistry, do try a little harder.
Old 05-19-24, 06:06 PM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 45 Posts
I apologize if banging out a response on a phone during a spare moment does not meet the Oxfordian literacy standards this forum demands.

After careful reflection, I can assure the badgering assembly that I will not be trying group riding as it is diametrically opposed to the reason I cycle.
Old 05-19-24, 07:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 5,829 Times in 2,946 Posts
And cycling groups worldwide breathe a sigh of relief.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-24, 08:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,094 Times in 7,557 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And cycling groups worldwide breathe a sigh of relief.
Yeah. The word choice especially. Who is it/are they? I know the MO, but can’t recall the sock brand.
Old 05-19-24, 08:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have never eaten Brussels sprouts and never will. They undermine my core value of eating foods that taste good.

Which begs the obvious question: Why do you care what we think, especially if differing opinions would undermine core values of yours?

Are you beginning to see the problems with your construct and follow-ups?
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Finally, a subject we can sink our teeth into ...
These aren't your mother's brussel sprouts

https://www.bhg.com/news/brussels-sprouts-less-bitter/
Old 05-20-24, 03:52 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 76 Posts
I apologize if banging out a response on a phone during a spare moment does not meet the Oxfordian literacy standards this forum demands.

After careful reflection, I can assure the badgering assembly that I will not be trying group riding as it is diametrically opposed to the reason I cycle.
Perhaps you should also consider not posting on a bike forum, since you have no interest in anyone’s thoughts or comments except your own…
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 05-20-24, 08:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Perhaps you should also consider not posting on a bike forum, since you have no interest in anyone’s thoughts or comments except your own…
Forums do require group efforts. The OP might be better off with a bunch of mirrors around him instead. The people in those mirrors would be his type of people.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-20-24, 10:40 AM
MikeDeason

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 45 Posts
I took much of the advice offered in this forum when purchasing my bike. This thread was simply a poorly worded awakening to the fact that cycling is embraced in massive numbers as a group pastime.
Old 05-20-24, 10:42 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked 6,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Time to close this thread.