Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Carnivore diet on 50+ mile rides?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Carnivore diet on 50+ mile rides?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-24, 06:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked 5,170 Times in 3,197 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I think the only way to know for sure if those carbs are having a negative effect on long term health would be to have an insulin resistance test.
I recently did a 2 week test with a glucose monitor and my responses were completely normal.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-17-24, 07:25 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I recently did a 2 week test with a glucose monitor and my responses were completely normal.
How often do you ride in such a manner that you add 50 g carbs an hour? Were you adding that much while you were testing?
Old 05-17-24, 08:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked 5,170 Times in 3,197 Posts
How often do you ride in such a manner that you add 50 g carbs an hour? Were you adding that much while you were testing?
Not that often in the big picture. Basically only when riding at full race pace. I typically do half a dozen endurance events per year, which are mostly timed centuries on hilly or mountainous terrain. Most of my training rides are in Z2, where I consume far less carbs. I ramp up my carb intake as required with intensity. If I do a really hard Zwift race I will also consume heavy carbs if the race is more than 90 mins. I can burn some serious calories on those, averaging close to 300W for a couple of hours.

I do little or no carb loading in the lead up to an event. I just eat normally and make sure I am well hydrated.

I did a couple of high intensity rides while wearing the glucose monitor and the only spike I got was at the very end when I stopped. It was back to normal within a couple of hours. A bit like having a normal meal.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-24, 04:25 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 467 Posts
Yesterday I rode my first timed Fondo - 60 miles with 5k of climbing. My plan was to go full gas gate to gate. All 5k came from short/steep climbs. Up and down all day.

Carb loaded before the ride, 40-60 grams per hour during the ride, and a full recovery meal after the ride.

Riding without carbs allows me to ride sub threshold - Z2 with low Z3 all day. Z4/Z5+ and I blow up.

With the carb loading, I was able to maintain Z3 on the flats, threshold+/- on any climbs of a 1/2 mile or so, and VO2+ on the 1/8-1/4 mile ramps. Some of early the climbs were repeated at the end of the ride and I actually did them faster the second time. Finished strong, and recovered well...

This would never happen for me on my typical low carb diet.