Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just how far have C&V prices fallen?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just how far have C&V prices fallen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-24, 08:55 AM
iab

Liked 3,955 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by cleverbeefalo
It's unclear what your opinion is here. Are you arguing it's easier to mix and match parts with old bikes than it is to find replacement parts for new bikes? Perhaps pointing out the exceptions?

Besides, I was speaking in generalities. It's not hard to point out the exceptions. My argument was not "it's always easier to find replacement parts for every new bike than it is to get old parts for C&V bikes to mix and match." That'd be silly. Actually one of the best "upgrades" to bikes is the wheelset. By virtue of choosing C&V you're limited to rim-brake compatible rims (already miniscule to choose from) and the clearance of that particular frame. As others have pointed out, documentation on these bikes often goes by the wayside, so I'm left digging through forums for info that may or may not be correct. Considering I didn't grow up with the bikes I don't have all the details memorized. There are many tangles to sort through to actually build up a C&V bike. If I didn't enjoy the process I probably wouldn't do it/may not do it again. I don't know.

Realistically, in my budget, hopefully the new Cues brifters are out if I build another bike. Compatibility would be much simplified at that point.

Not sure how any of this pertains to the current prices of C&V, though...
If you are interested in C&V, you will want what is called a Sutherland's manual. It will tell you everything you need know about mixing and matching. It is really quite simple when compared to modern bikes.

And I will entirely disagree that rim-brake rims choice is miniscule. You aren't looking. They are as common as dirt. As for clearance, that is easy too. A ruler and caliper will take care of that.
Old 05-26-24, 10:56 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Liked 696 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Miyata 610 touring bike reduced from $100 to $70 on FBM (Rocky Point, N.Y. on Long Island).
That's a lot of bike for $70, I hope it finds an owner who really appreciates what a nice bike it is.
Old 05-26-24, 11:03 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,018 Times in 2,345 Posts
This is up to a 6 page thread now, but I skimmed through it and didn't find anybody post anything giving what I think is the simple explaination why C&V prices have dropped.

When COVID hit, two things happened to the bicycle business. One, supply chains were disrupted, and two, cycling was something that we all could do. No concerts, no amusement parks, no pickup basketball games, etc. Everybody wanted to buy a bike, new or used. I had my best year ever doing 650b conversions, custom racks, frame repairs, etc. Now there's too much new and used bike inventory. These things tend to normalize if you're patient.

Are e-Bikes eating into C&V sales? I imagine somewhat, but I'm not sure if it's significant or not.
Old 05-26-24, 11:10 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

I'm seeing a lot of electric bikes and scooters on the road, they whizz by me regularly on the street and on a path that is supposed to be for "bikes", annoying but at least they're not driving gas-guzzling cars.

What really bugs me is this new obsession with battery powered bikes and power tools. Batteries don't last forever so I hope there is a plan to recycle them, we don't need that crap (lithium, plastic, whatever) in land-fills.
Old 05-26-24, 11:21 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,657 Times in 3,295 Posts
I bet 80 percent of you regulars fully overhaul every bike that passes through your hands. But how many of you take pics of the bare frame and displayed components before you rebuild it?

Take a few minutes to do that and add them to your listings. Good photography and clear, concise messaging sell vintage bikes far more easily than not.

I remember a regular here (for several years, gone now) started a detailed, pic-heavy bikeforums thread on the rebuild of his Specialized road bike. But when he listed it on Craigs, he included like three pics of the full build sitting in his living room. Text like "I overhauled everything" carry a lot more weight if you back it up.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 05-26-24 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-26-24, 11:39 AM
branko_76 

I did exactly that, the bike sold the next day

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-rehabbed.html
Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-26-24, 11:50 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I bet 80 percent of you regulars fully overhaul every bike that passes through your hands. But how many of you take pics of the bare frame and displayed components before you rebuild it?

Take a few minutes to do that and add them to your listings. Good photography and clear, concise messaging sell vintage bikes far more easily than not.

I remember a regular here (for several years, gone now) started a detailed, pic-heavy bikeforums thread on the rebuild of his Specialized road bike. But when he listed it on Craigs, he included like three pics of the full build sitting in his living room. Text like "I overhauled everything" carry a lot more weight if you back it up.
...now you tell me. But yes, the phrase "custom hand built wheels" seems to get lost in the shuffle. I agree I am terrible at marketing. I always just bought stuff I was interested in exploring, and never took the time to sell off stuff. Probably because I am terrible at marketing.

Not disagreeing, but for some strange reason I always thought that anyone who showed up to buy, would see the obvious in a fully restored classic bicycle, with all the consumables replaced and in perfect cosmetic and mechanical condition. I think that was my first mistake. As to gugie 's point about things normalizing. I hope he's right, but with all the new product flooding in from an oversupply in production (the infamous boom and bust bicycle manufacturing cycle), my guess is that it will take some time to play out. And it will involve some sort of partial collapse of the manufacturing and sales of new cycles. Not unlike the '70's bike boom we always reference, as the era of classic junk bikes.

I do think maybe there's less knowledge about what is, and is not, a high quality older bicycle. So I guess if you're trying to sell something, it's on you to emphasize that. Again, something I have trouble with conveying as a general idea.

I guess if there's one thing in favor of C+V prices rising back from the ridiculous, it's that they're not making very many equivalent bikes now. But again, it would need to become trendy again, to a younger demographic. Not sure how that happens.
Old 05-26-24, 12:41 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,657 Times in 3,295 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...now you tell me.
Just rebuild 'em again.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-26-24, 02:36 PM
cleverbeefalo

Bikes: Panasonic DX 3000, '91 Hard Rock Sport

Liked 44 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
If you are interested in C&V, you will want what is called a Sutherland's manual. It will tell you everything you need know about mixing and matching. It is really quite simple when compared to modern bikes.
Thanks for the rec. I'll check that out.

Originally Posted by iab
And I will entirely disagree that rim-brake rims choice is miniscule. You aren't looking. They are as common as dirt. As for clearance, that is easy too. A ruler and caliper will take care of that.
Not what I meant. Miniscule compared to non-rim brakes, especially on a budget. Options for truly cushy tires end up being get a bike that was 27" and convert to 700c or get a 700c and convert to 650b. I have no interest in tires smaller than 38's. There are likely bikes that fit that I'm unaware of. But let's say I knew of a model, then the next step is spending time searching for that model in my size and it becomes more and more up to chance. My Panasonic is 650b. I'd love to setup another set of wheels that are more trail oriented. The main choices that are actually in stock for those are Velocity, Brevet, Soma Weymouth, every once in a while Ukai comes back in stock, Velo Orange, and Pacenti. And I have to find compatible hubs that are 7 speed. I'd love to have the option to skip it all and pay for a complete set. That's been pretty rare in my searches, but there's an abundance of full disc brake wheels at the ready. That's more so what I was referring to.

Where am I missing the complete 650b's at 126mm OLD in the rear with hyperglide? If it exists I'd be pumped.
Old 05-26-24, 02:54 PM
iab

Liked 3,955 Times in 1,443 Posts
Where am I missing the complete 650b's at 126mm OLD in the rear with hyperglide? If it exists I'd be pumped.
Now you aren't playing fair. You want want specific wheels for your specific bike.

But if you are general, most every Italian frame from the 50s/60s will take 700c wheels with 38mm tires. I have always seen at least a couple of examples of that frame at the Madison swap every year. FBM and ebay.it are littered with them for under $300 delivered. If you want to pay a premium, Antonio has a ton of them - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn....m3561.l170197

700c rims or full 700c wheelsets at 126mm are as common as dirt. Get tubulars and you can almost get them for free.

Yes, you will need to switch from your current "standard" that you currently have. But prices are low, it is the right time to take advantage my young padawan.
Likes For iab:
Old 05-26-24, 02:59 PM
cleverbeefalo

Bikes: Panasonic DX 3000, '91 Hard Rock Sport

Liked 44 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Now you aren't playing fair. You want want specific wheels for your specific bike.

But if you are general, most every Italian frame from the 50s/60s will take 700c wheels with 38mm tires. I have always seen at least a couple of examples of that frame at the Madison swap every year. FBM and ebay.it are littered with them for under $300 delivered. If you want to pay a premium, Antonio has a ton of them - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn....m3561.l170197

700c rims or full 700c wheelsets at 126mm are as common as dirt. Get tubulars and you can almost get them for free.

Yes, you will need to switch from your current "standard" that you currently have. But prices are low, it is the right time to take advantage my young padawan.
Hahaha alright fair point. If I could go back and do it all over again I'd probably have purchased a bike that fit fat 700c's, but here I am. Appreciate the good-spirited banter, sir.
Old 05-26-24, 04:39 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Liked 2,105 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
What really bugs me is this new obsession with battery powered bikes and power tools. Batteries don't last forever so I hope there is a plan to recycle them, we don't need that crap (lithium, plastic, whatever) in land-fills.
did you say “power tools?”

what wrong w power tools
Old 05-26-24, 04:42 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Liked 485 Times in 146 Posts
The title of this thread should now be...

Just how far can we stray from the topic?

Guy
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 05-26-24, 05:18 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by Robvolz
did you say “power tools?”

what wrong w power tools
Nothing wrong with "power tools", I use them daily for work but 99% have a cord you plug into the wall, no need for batteries.
Old 05-26-24, 07:10 PM
Steel Charlie

Liked 614 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
NorCal is a rough market. Piles of old steel on CL with most at never sell prices. I had a Colnago up for about a year and a Masi for 6-8 months. And they were both in excellent condition. I just flipped a S-WORKS M4 and it was on there for nearly 3 months. There are a couple that I would be interested in but the prices are stupid and they've been up for over a year.
Seems most sellers look to fleabay for pricing but I have to wonder if that stuff is selling either.
Best of luck
In addition, I'm cheap. I'm also old, fat, and slow. I've ridden high end steel almost exclusively for about fifty years. My two latest purchases are both post-2000 Asian produced steel bikes. Both tig welded. One is a 2005 Specialized Allez Comp (Thermocrom) and the other a 2004 (Haro) Masi (853). Both are 9spd Ultegra. Both ride as fine as anything that I have had. I couldn't buy a set of hotrod modern wheels for what I have in them.
Sometime soon I expect that I will try to sell my Team3V. I don't actually think that I will be successful.
Old 05-26-24, 08:37 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
In addition, I'm cheap. I'm also old, fat, and slow. I've ridden high end steel almost exclusively for about fifty years.
50 years of riding hi-end bikes and you're fat?
Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-26-24, 08:44 PM
orcas island 

Liked 254 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by cinelliguy

Guy
Was wondering about that, but it’s all good!
Likes For orcas island:
Old 05-27-24, 08:20 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Liked 463 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

I’ve had 7 bikes listed on my local CL in the last week. Of those 7 I’ve only had 2 ads with pictures that included component and/or tear down and build up photos. Those are the only 2 ads that I’ve been contacted to sell. One is with its new owner and the second is supposed to be picked up this afternoon.

I wasn’t sure having those type of pictures in my ad would matter. But reading your post and experiencing more traffic has me thinking that it might make a difference. So I started to add those type of photos to my listings.

Sample size of one….maybe two. Who knows? It could be that it’s there is more nostalgia for a Schwinn though, because that is all that I’ve been able to sell.

To the overall theme of this thread I have no experiencing selling C&V bikes until this last week. I only returned to bicycles a year ago and have only been a buyer. But my experience so far has been the bikes are selling for less than what the bikes cost in parts.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 05-27-24, 08:47 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Liked 363 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
... my experience so far has been the bikes are selling for less than what the bikes cost in parts.
It's long been conventional wisdom that you can make more money by parting out a bike than selling it complete. But it also takes more of your time and effort to create multiple listings, field more emails and calls, and meet with more people.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 05-27-24, 09:17 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,792 Times in 1,292 Posts
I buy damaged bikes for parts. I just can't bring myself to parting bikes to make money after spending so much time putting them back together. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-27-24, 01:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,584 Times in 3,779 Posts

Guy
Originally Posted by orcas island
Was wondering about that, but it’s all good!
Its kind of what we do.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-27-24, 01:32 PM
branko_76 

One concern I have about selling a bike and disclosing the work done is that if something goes wrong, are we liable?
Old 05-27-24, 04:12 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Liked 485 Times in 146 Posts
I've been waiting 25 years for the market to fall apart. Time to buy some really great stuff!

Guy
Old 05-27-24, 06:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,584 Times in 3,779 Posts
I've been waiting 25 years for the market to fall apart. Time to buy some really great stuff!

Guy
Atta boy, that's the spirit!
Old 05-28-24, 02:22 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Liked 236 Times in 124 Posts
Thanks for the rec. I'll check that out.

Not what I meant. Miniscule compared to non-rim brakes, especially on a budget. Options for truly cushy tires end up being get a bike that was 27" and convert to 700c or get a 700c and convert to 650b. I have no interest in tires smaller than 38's. There are likely bikes that fit that I'm unaware of. But let's say I knew of a model, then the next step is spending time searching for that model in my size and it becomes more and more up to chance. My Panasonic is 650b. I'd love to setup another set of wheels that are more trail oriented. The main choices that are actually in stock for those are Velocity, Brevet, Soma Weymouth, every once in a while Ukai comes back in stock, Velo Orange, and Pacenti. And I have to find compatible hubs that are 7 speed. I'd love to have the option to skip it all and pay for a complete set. That's been pretty rare in my searches, but there's an abundance of full disc brake wheels at the ready. That's more so what I was referring to.

Get a 130mm wheelset and stick it in your frame. Stop making this hard on yourself. Nobody has made 126mm wheelsets for decades.

You can get brand new, fancy silver, 130mm rim brake HG wheelset, even in 650b, in a couple of days, tops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.