Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody care about secrecy on your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anybody care about secrecy on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 07:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,882 Times in 7,456 Posts
The veal turned out great!

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-24, 09:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 2,099 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So what do you suppose these “bad actors” are likely to do with my Strava data?
I don't know, which doesn't really mean much.

BITD, before they nudged me on the mgmt train and I was a fair to midland developer, I tested for a job with a pen tester. The task was to evaluate a snippet of C code for potential vulnerabilities. The code was fairly straightforward, nothing gimmicky, not obscure syntax, no clever #defines. I understood what it was doing, but couldn't find much except a potential buffer overrun. The dude proceeded to explain the multiple ways it could be exploited. So devious. I'm glad he was a white hat.

The takeaway for me was, I'm not nearly devious enough to come up with a good con, a good hack, or a good exploit, much less imagine future exploitations.

The amount and variety of data about us, collected, stored, and essentially public, is unprecedented in history. You don't necessarily need to be afraid, but you should be aware. I tend to think commercial usages of such data is more ominous; others are more concerned about the government. Maybe the happiest people aren't concerned at all.
Old 05-07-24, 11:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7680 Post(s)
Liked 3,570 Times in 1,878 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Maybe the happiest people aren't concerned at all.
Pretty much.

I know that everything I say or do, every number associated with me, any photo ... and since I do go out in public where whoever has a camera has a fairly absolute right to photograph anyone at any time .... and all of it is out of my hands.

As you learned from watching the guy administering the test ... if someone wants to break the code, the code will break.

But you know ... I don't control the weather, nor the cars coming up behind me when I ride, nor meteors, not viruses or bacteria, nor the steady decay of increasing age. Very little is in my control, and I am not gong to pretend to grasp some measure of control to pacify myself. I am grown; I can accept that the vast majority of everything is out of my control.

I don't have the time or energy to be afraid of everything, and certainly I do not want to waste what little time and energy i do have, imagining things which could hurt me. After all, something out there is coming to kill me, and there is nothing I can do. I could get cut down while riding, or while fashioning a thicker tinfoil hat, or while sleeping, or anything .... I don't want to die being afraid of stuff which cannot kill me, cannot probably even hurt me, and might be entirely imaginary. I'd like to spend my life living, not fearing and hiding or protecting stuff which cannot be protected anyway.

I don't like a lot of stuff about the way the world is now, but making futile gestures to pretend I can hold back the tides ... not my style. I cannot control the ocean or the weather, so I might as well focus on sailing the boat of my thoughts and feelings .... I can barley control those.

I find I can be at peace if I choose not to worry. it isn't easy, but none of the stuff we do is really easy. We spend as much energy fighting the inevitable as we do trying to flow with the inevitable ... just one seems less like struggling. We all drown ultimately anyway, so ... decide what is going to go into your mind, decide what you are going to do with it.

But ... each to his own.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-08-24, 03:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 5,081 Times in 3,135 Posts

You don't necessarily need to be afraid, but you should be aware.
I’m aware of the ride data I make public and totally unafraid of it. It has no negative affect on my life or sense of personal freedom and does have a few positives, which is why I choose to do it.
Old 05-08-24, 04:17 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 3,097 Times in 1,762 Posts
Originally Posted by marko_1111
I hide in plain sight. it's my superpower

also, it would appear some of us have forgotten the first two rules of fight club...
We have two rules . . .

Old 05-08-24, 09:15 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 306 Posts
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 05-09-24, 09:37 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
One aspect of biking vs. other popular means of getting around is the relative secrecy it affords. You can easily and legally buy a nondescript bike in cash on a street corner without giving your name. You don't need a license, or (generally) registration. There are no secret VIN numbers hidden on the bottom of any bike parts. Without license plates, optical scanners of that sort aren't tracking you. There's no national bike registry. There's no Onstar or any realistic possibility of satellite or terrestrial tracking of your whereabouts (unless you bring a phone!). Heck, you can even hide your face behind a helmet and visor/glasses and nobody would notice.

I suppose that anybody who really values secrecy (government agents, domestic violence victims, crooks, witness protection program, etc.) won't reply to this random thread. I just find it refreshing that in this day and age of "1984" being foisted upon us, the bike provides a welcome bit of privacy to "disappear" for a little while.
Says a man on a public forum...!
Likes For AndrewJB:
Old 05-09-24, 10:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,882 Times in 7,456 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewJB
Says a man on a public forum...!
And not riding a bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-09-24, 10:53 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 400 Posts
We've been socially engineered. We are not as in control of ourselves as we like to believe. Our base human desires have been hacked.
Wait, what? I thought we were a simulation!, now I gotta do more research...
Old 05-09-24, 10:57 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by duragrouch
on the first day of class in fluid dynamics and heat transfer, the prof will tell you that "heat" means by definition the transfer of thermal energy. So heat transfer is redundant. So is means by definition.
lol.