Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sram Rival road adapter for MTB mounts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-23, 10:08 AM
marbles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I have Sram Rival road disc calipers and I would like to mount them on and MTB with 74mm post mounts. The disc rotars are both 160mm.

What adapter/s do I need?

Thanks
Old 07-03-23, 10:30 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by marbles
Hi,

I have Sram Rival road disc calipers and I would like to mount them on and MTB with 74mm post mounts. The disc rotars are both 160mm.

What adapter/s do I need?

Thanks
Road Calipers use a different Pull Ratio than MTB calipers.. if you have MTB levers now (Long pull, 32-35mm from pivot to cable center, for v-brakes and MTB disc calipers), you'll need short pull Levers (23-27mm, pivot to cable center), or actual MTB Calipers..

Last edited by maddog34; 07-03-23 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-03-23, 10:33 AM
marbles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddog34
Road Calipers use a different Pull Ratio than MTB calipers.. if you have MTB levers now (Long pull, 32-35mm from pivot to cable center, for v-brakes and MTB disc calipers), you'll need short pull Levers, or actual MTB Calipers..
I have matching Rival road levers. The levers match the calipers. I'm doing a monstercross build....drops on an mtb frame and fork.
Likes For marbles:
Old 07-03-23, 10:49 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

I have matching Rival road levers. The levers match the calipers. I'm doing a monstercross build....drops on an mtb frame and fork.
post mount calipers?the front should be a direct bolt-up...and the rear may be the same direct bolt-up...i've regularly placed v-brake pad cup/cone washer stacks on caliper bolts to adjust the height of pads to the discs.. some take the short cups between the caliper and post, others need tall cups there... and a few only got a stack of 3 to 6 good washers... Avoid having the pads hitting the disc spokes and/or the caliper rubbing the outer edge of the disc.

there are too many variables to just say "You need THIS or THAT part!"... brake setups require guessing, testing, checking, adjusting, then testing again.. .

Last edited by maddog34; 07-03-23 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-03-23, 10:56 AM
marbles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddog34
post mount calipers?the front should be a direct bolt-up...and the rear may be the same direct bolt-up...i've regularly placed v-brake pad cup/cone washer stacks on caliper bolts to adjust the height of pads to the discs.. some take the short cups between the caliper and post, others need tall cups there... avoid having the pads hitting the disc spokes and/or the caliper rubbing the outer edge of the disc.

there are too many variables to just say "You need THIS or THAT part!"... brake setups require testing, checking, then testing again, etc.
The SRAM Rival disc mount plates are 70mm. The frame mounts I have on both fork and frame are 74mm. Therefore I need to swap out the Rival mount plates for 34mm to 74mm. My question is where do I get these?
Old 07-03-23, 10:58 AM
maddog34

The SRAM Rival disc mount plates are 70mm. The frame mounts I have on both fork and frame are 74mm. Therefore I need to swap out the Rival mount plates for 34mm to 74mm. My question is where do I get these?
ok.. i'm not doing your shopping for you... maybe someone else will. Bye.
Old 07-03-23, 12:05 PM
marbles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looks liekly to be this...
Wolf Tooth Post to Flat Mount Brake Adapter allows flat mount brakes to be added to a frame or fork that was designed for post mount brakes.

Old 07-03-23, 03:50 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 479 Posts
You are correct. You need a Post Mount to Flat Mount adapter like that Wolf Tooth version. Wolf Tooth appears to be out of stock, but A.S. Solutions in Canada has some in stock and there are a few Chinese sellers on eBay.