Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadside Tire Repair

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadside Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 09:48 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
A few times I have opened a new tube of Vulcanizing Cement only to find it had dried up in the unopened tube. So I also carry an unopened tube of Super Glue along with the Vulcanizing Cement.

Note: When using Super Glue on a patch you just put one drop of the Super Glue right on top of the hole and then apply the patch. The Super Glue is not flexible so the less used the better. That gets ya home where you can replace the patch properly using Vulcanizing Cement.

I once used Super Glue to patch a Side Wall blow out. I did not let it dry fully before remounting and pumping up. What a mess! That tube was permanently fixed to the tire. But I did get home... Ha
Old 04-23-24, 10:07 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked 5,546 Times in 2,877 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
A few times I have opened a new tube of Vulcanizing Cement only to find it had dried up in the unopened tube. a
What is also infuriating is when you are at home in the garage, about to apply a patch on a tube, and you find your 8oz can of Rema vulcanizing fluid has turned into a semi-solid blob in the can!
Old 04-23-24, 11:35 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
...your 8oz can of Rema vulcanizing fluid has turned into a semi-solid blob in the can!
Yep... Pretty common. You can still get Toluene. Just thin out the Rema and your good ta go.
Old 04-23-24, 11:40 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 269 Posts
On Amazon, I successfully bought a twelve-pack of small glue tubes.
It enables me to carry an unopened one in my riding repair kit.
The opened one stays home for patching duty. And even those eventually dry out.
Old 04-24-24, 02:43 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,443 Times in 821 Posts
I had my first flat with a TPU tube today. I have not looked at to find the cause. I had a spare TPU tube with me. Two times the valve core popped out while inflating. The third time, I really tightened down the core, inflated slowly, and carefully removed the chuck, all good.
I had the same thing happen at home, once. I used some plumbing tape on the threads and it has been fine. I will do the same to the one I used today, and the new one I have. I think the threading is plastic of some sort, and the tape helps keep it locked in.
If this is a common occurrence, it’s a problem. Otherwise, I very much like the tubes. BTW, they are Aerothan brand

I found 2 pin holes on opposite sides, tire side and rim side, nothing stuck in the tire. I was doing a multi-surface ride and went off the trail a bit to miss piled up sand. Tube patched just fine, Schwalbe glueless.

Last edited by delbiker1; 04-25-24 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For delbiker1: