Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fat boy saddles ... what do you ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fat boy saddles ... what do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 11:36 AM
sofc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I know all saddle fit is personal and doesn't always translate well to everyone.

Having said that; I still have to put my 265 pounds (that haven't been near spitting distance of a bike in 20 years ) on a bike and be somewhat comfortable.

My Lemond Big Sky SL came with Bontrager Race. I tried that several times for very very short rides. Okay but still a bit painful.

I swapped it out for a Fizik Pave (much nicer build quality and materials; lighter; titanium rails.) I have been on the rollers for short spells (for those of you who read my rollers thread- I finally bought a fork stand.) But there is minor pain with chamois and major pain with non padded regular shorts.

Any suggestions?

I know 678,765,543 of you will say the Arionne but I'm not shelling out that much money until I know I will ride regularly. And I did not search for old posts, maybe I should have. But alas, I posted this and you'll have to deal with it.
Old 12-07-05, 11:41 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Go to a Specialized dealer and sit on their saddle fitting thingy. I did this and got the saddle width they suggested and the thing fits like a...well I guess something that fits your butt well.

They make 3 widths in a couple of their saddles, for reference I am 216lbs and use the 143mm. I am not so sure weight has as much to do with it as bone structure BTW.
Old 12-07-05, 12:21 PM
sofc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Go to a Specialized dealer and sit on their saddle fitting thingy. I did this and got the saddle width they suggested and the thing fits like a...well I guess something that fits your butt well.

They make 3 widths in a couple of their saddles, for reference I am 216lbs and use the 143mm. I am not so sure weight has as much to do with it as bone structure BTW.
Thanks, I'll do that when I can. And I just realized that the front of the saddle (horn?) is a wee bit high. Either the roller fork is higher than my rear wheel or I didn't adjust properly when I changed saddles. Will try to do that after I thaw out in front of the fire. It is 22 degrees without wind chill here in Worcester, MA.
Old 12-07-05, 12:36 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A persons bone structure does not change with weight so you will need the same saddle at 265lbs that you will if you lose 100lbs so don't go by "I am a big buy I need a big saddle". I second the recomendation for the Specialized BG "Ass-O-Meter" and coresponding saddle, which will probably wind up being a 143mm. That seems to be the one that most people who try the BG stuff wind up fitting on from what I have seen, and experienced myself.
Old 12-07-05, 12:50 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by Jaye
A persons bone structure does not change with weight so you will need the same saddle at 265lbs that you will if you lose 100lbs so don't go by "I am a big buy I need a big saddle". I second the recomendation for the Specialized BG "Ass-O-Meter" and coresponding saddle, which will probably wind up being a 143mm. That seems to be the one that most people who try the BG stuff wind up fitting on from what I have seen, and experienced myself.
I will add to the comment about most people coming out with the 143mm saddle. Most road bike saddles I have seen have saddle widths in the 130-135mm range which to me explains why so many people have issues fitting a saddle.

For reference the fi’zi:k Aliante has a width of 140mm and the WTB Speed V line is 147mm. The Brooks B17 saddles that some people rave about are much wider (165mm) but the suspended leather also forms to your shape when it breaks in...however this would explain why smaller riders may not like the Brooks B17.

Adding some additional info:
Your Pave is 137mm wide
The Arione is 132mm wide
Selle Italia SLK 135mm
Selle Italia Flite 143mm Max Flite is 153mm
Selle Italia SLR 131mm
Selle Italia SLC 134mm
Selle San Marco Aspide 130mm
Selle San Marco Rolls 147mm
Selle San Marco Regal (I think this is right their site is a bit blury in the width numbers) 150mm
Specialized Toupe 130mm or 143mm
Specialized Alias 130mm, 143mm or 155mm
Specialized Avatar 130mm, 143mm, or 155mm

Last edited by Grasschopper; 12-07-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 12:55 PM
^oZ
shut up legs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For your reference, that's the Specialized Avatar GEL, in 132, 143, and 152 mm wide
Old 12-07-05, 01:43 PM
sofc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, you guys are awesome. So much information from everyone on this site.
Old 12-07-05, 01:50 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

FWIW you can really see the difference in profiles in this photo:
Old 12-07-05, 02:46 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 377 Posts
I will add to the comment about most people coming out with the 143mm saddle. Most road bike saddles I have seen have saddle widths in the 130-135mm range which to me explains why so many people have issues fitting a saddle.

For reference the fi’zi:k Aliante has a width of 140mm and the WTB Speed V line is 147mm. The Brooks B17 saddles that some people rave about are much wider (165mm) but the suspended leather also forms to your shape when it breaks in...however this would explain why smaller riders may not like the Brooks B17.

Adding some additional info:
Your Pave is 137mm wide
The Arione is 132mm wide
Selle Italia SLK 135mm
Selle Italia Flite 143mm Max Flite is 153mm
Selle Italia SLR 131mm
Selle Italia SLC 134mm
Selle San Marco Aspide 130mm
Selle San Marco Rolls 147mm
Selle San Marco Regal (I think this is right their site is a bit blury in the width numbers) 150mm
Specialized Toupe 130mm or 143mm
Specialized Alias 130mm, 143mm or 155mm
Specialized Avatar 130mm, 143mm, or 155mm
Explains why the Selle San Marco Rolls on my Paramount is a heck of a lot more comfortable than the Aspide on my Merlin, that and maybe a 100grams of padding.
Old 12-07-05, 03:11 PM
bigdraft

Bikes: Arnold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used a Selle San Marco Rolls for years. One of the best for comfort without being too soft.
Old 12-07-05, 03:38 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't give up on the Pave too soon. As your legs get stronger, you start putting less weight on your seat. Also you will probably begin losing weight faster. This will make the saddle more comfortable. Unless the saddle is so uncomfortable that you just can't put any distance on it, hold off. On the other hand, if it is causing chafing or more serious problems, that is another thing. Get a good pair of shorts. The Pearl Izumi's have a pretty thick pad. Or you could try wearing 2 pairs of shorts. I've never tried it but I have seen it done.
Personally, I have an Fizik Aliante and I love it.
Old 12-07-05, 06:45 PM
FunkyTang
'07 Dean El Diente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm at 200 lbs right now. My sit bones are 130mm apart according to the body geometry foam thingy. My LBS fit me to the 143mm specialized avatar. It's been good so far.
Old 12-07-05, 07:55 PM
luv2cruz

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a Brooks B17. I think you'll be pleased. Most folks that do try one, are.

The Brooks is heavy, but at 265 pounds, who cares?
Old 12-08-05, 08:16 AM
sofc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luv2cruz
Try a Brooks B17. I think you'll be pleased. Most folks that do try one, are.

The Brooks is heavy, but at 265 pounds, who cares?
Seriously.
Old 12-08-05, 08:22 AM
sofc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
I wouldn't give up on the Pave too soon. As your legs get stronger, you start putting less weight on your seat. Also you will probably begin losing weight faster. This will make the saddle more comfortable. Unless the saddle is so uncomfortable that you just can't put any distance on it, hold off. On the other hand, if it is causing chafing or more serious problems, that is another thing. Get a good pair of shorts. The Pearl Izumi's have a pretty thick pad. Or you could try wearing 2 pairs of shorts. I've never tried it but I have seen it done.
Personally, I have an Fizik Aliante and I love it.
I can't put any distance on it because I don't have any stamina. That's part of the problem. I haven't ridden enough to know all the ins and outs of this cycling thing. I changed back to the Bontrager and it was slightly more comfortable.

I have a pair of Cannondale shorts but they are a bit on the flimsy side. I ordered new Liquicell bibs from Nashbar. I probably should have bit the bullet and bought a nicer one but I'm not too sure about short/bib sizing (especially with the European sizes being woefully small - and xxl is 34-36 waist and 44-46 chest.) Those things wouldn't fit on my leg.

I have begun riding regularly on the roller and can feel much slowly getting stronger. I'm not winded after 48 seconds anymore. Part of this is that I have no concept of a proper cadence and pedal at whatever speed I feel like. This will all change as I get more used to the bike and I find my legs. At that poin, I'll see what happens.
Old 12-08-05, 08:23 AM
sofc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I called my LBS and will go in to sit on their trainer and try out different saddles. I did want a Brooks b17 but they don't have any in stock.
Old 12-08-05, 08:28 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Dude don't focus too much on the shorts. I can ride for 30-60 min on my Avatar with thin running shorts and no padding at all. Lots of padding is for people that plan on doing short rides (like really short), if you are going to do any serious riding at all you are going to want a firmer saddle. The Avatar is the softest Specialized road saddle and it is still pretty firm.
Old 12-08-05, 09:03 AM
JohnnyCool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't seen it mentioned so I'll add the one that I ride, Serfas Rx model. They're inexpensive at $40 and more comfortable than the Selle Italias that came on the bikes. I believe they are 143's but I'm not positive. On our tandem, my wife rides a 'comfort' saddle because...well because it's comfortable to her. She doesn't ride a solo. If I were you I'd get the biggest, cushiest, comfiest saddle you can find and ride it. You can always upgrade down the road to a "racing" saddle.
Old 12-08-05, 09:07 AM
alxra
I hate hate crimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked the look and profile of the Fizik Arione, but I have unusually wide sit bones for a guy. The Arione didn't work for me because of that. I bought a Fizik Rondine, which is around 148mm, has a similar profile, wing flex, and is just a little bit shorter in length. Even though it's shorter, it seems to have as much USABLE riding space front to back as the arione. It's $60 plus shipping at bicyclebuys.com. I've done about 200 miles on the saddle and really like it. If I hadn't bought that, my only other options would be a 155mm Specialized, or one of the woman-specific saddles by one of the Selle companies. I'm not OCP, but I don't think I could emotionally deal with the ridicule I'd get from my buddies if I put a WSD saddle on my bike. It's a harsh world out there, ya know.
Old 12-08-05, 09:10 AM
sofc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude don't focus too much on the shorts. I can ride for 30-60 min on my Avatar with thin running shorts and no padding at all. Lots of padding is for people that plan on doing short rides (like really short), if you are going to do any serious riding at all you are going to want a firmer saddle. The Avatar is the softest Specialized road saddle and it is still pretty firm.
I'm trying not to focus on anything but riding. However, since I've been on a bike maybe 40 times in my entire life, it needs to be somewhat of a "not too painful" experience so I can continue. I don't plan on doing any serious riding at least until the spring. I just want to be able to get on the bike indoors for 20-30 minutes and not be in pain.

My goals are simple. I'm not that hard to please.
Old 12-08-05, 09:28 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 316 Posts
(Dude don't focus too much on the shorts. I can ride for 30-60 min on my Avatar with thin running shorts and no padding at all. Lots of padding is for people that plan on doing short rides (like really short)
What? This makes no sense, would you ride for 6 hours in your unpadded running shorts? I don't think so dude! I'm not a fan of too soft saddles but nicely padded shorts with a well fitting chamois is a must I think. This will protect from chafing, provide padding, ventilation, and freedom of movement.
Old 12-08-05, 09:37 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by masi61
(Dude don't focus too much on the shorts. I can ride for 30-60 min on my Avatar with thin running shorts and no padding at all. Lots of padding is for people that plan on doing short rides (like really short)
What? This makes no sense, would you ride for 6 hours in your unpadded running shorts? I don't think so dude! I'm not a fan of too soft saddles but nicely padded shorts with a well fitting chamois is a must I think. This will protect from chafing, provide padding, ventilation, and freedom of movement.
If the bike and the saddle fits properly you don't need the thickly padded shorts. Just look at what the pros look for, nearly no padding in the saddle and a thin chamois even when they are in the saddle all day. I DO wear padded shorts when I go out for a ride but I also could ride my bike for quite a while without them and still be comfortable...well in the sitz bones region anyway (chafing from seams etc set aside that is).

I am just trying to say that the solution to an improperly fit saddle is NOT get shorts with more padding...that is the only thing I was trying to say.
Old 12-08-05, 09:40 AM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "right" saddle is also going to depend on your riding position. If you are sitting more upright, as you will probably do on a Mtn. bike/hybrid and may do on a trainer, then the saddle will need to be wider to support you properly. Conversely, a narrower saddle is more appropiate for a road bike. My vote goes to the Brooks B17 which is on my touring/sloppy weather bike (Trek 7500FX), and to the Brooks Team Pro which is on my Lemond. I think it's unusual for a LBS to stock a Brooks, they are easy to buy online/mail order and there are almost always some listed on ebay.
Old 12-08-05, 09:49 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
If the bike and the saddle fits properly you don't need the thickly padded shorts. Just look at what the pros look for, nearly no padding in the saddle and a thin chamois even when they are in the saddle all day. I DO wear padded shorts when I go out for a ride but I also could ride my bike for quite a while without them and still be comfortable...well in the sitz bones region anyway (chafing from seams etc set aside that is).

I am just trying to say that the solution to an improperly fit saddle is NOT get shorts with more padding...that is the only thing I was trying to say.
Plus, it seems to me that a thick chamois works against the design trends of modern saddles, i.e. the ergonomic splits and other efforts to relieve the perineum and support the sit bones. The padding fills in the splits and puts the pressure right back on the perineum. I think on my next set of bibs I'm going to try to find a thin, conforming chamois and rely on a well-fitting saddle to put the pressure in the right places (bought a B17 recently...hoping to break it in on my trainer this winter).
Old 12-10-05, 03:34 PM
luv2cruz

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sofc,

Just order the Brooks from Wallingford Bike in NO, they give a six month unconditional guarantee on new saddle purchases. Even if it doesn't work, you can't go wrong.

And still cleaning up from Katrina and Rita, they can use the business....

No affiliation, yada, yada....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.