Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front rack with platform?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 03:19 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I want to add a front rack to my Windsor. I need something that has a platform so I can mount a trunk bag to. I may also add panniers down the road. I have an extra boss on each fork (about half way down each blade) that I am assuming is to mount a rack. Am I right on this?

Can anyone recommend anything? I do not need top end but I do not want something that can't take everyday commuting.
Old 08-01-11, 03:34 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The sturdiest I can think of is the Surly "Nice Rack". It's on the pricey side, but it's gonna take a beating like no other and it fits your requirements of being able to mount a trunk bag and panniers.
Old 08-01-11, 04:33 PM
threecarjam

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Surly is a pretty huge rack, might be a bit of overkill. I've also heard mixed reviews of it, and if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a rack I'd rather just buy a Nitto - never had an issue with Nitto racks, except that they cost almost as much money as any bike I'd put them on.

If you just want a regular rack trunk on the front, you could mount a Pletscher rack (Rivendell has photos of it mounted on the front of a bike. You can also get a cheap front rack that mounts to the cantilever posts, though you'd want to check the size to see if it could carry your intended load, something like this. For a platform with pannier capabilities, I've used this Blackburn rack, which is a very good value at that price. Jandd makes a front rack as well that has a platform that can also have panniers mounted to it, though I've never used one.

I mostly have Velo Orange (Constructeur, Rando and Pass Hunter) and Nitto (Campee, with low rider frames that are removable) front racks on different bikes. Pricier, though (I got most of them used while trolling ebay), and again, if you are looking to mount a rack trunk up front the platform may not be long enough.

I think a bike is incomplete without having complete crap-hauling capacity, if you couldn't already tell.
Old 08-02-11, 02:28 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old Man Mountain - Cold Springs model is the way to go. Completely bombproof.
Old 08-02-11, 05:16 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Any trunk bag is going to look pretty dorky off the front of the bike, and there will be more weight further out from the steering axis, which has the potential to more adversely affect handling.

I have a VO Contructeur rack on the front, considered a trunk bag, but it stick out quite far off the front of the rack. Ended up making a wood platform to support a Bailey Works rack bag.
Old 08-02-11, 08:10 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
not to discourage you on an equipment purchase, but do you already have a rear rack and panniers? I have a front rack on a used bike I recently purchased and so far the only thing I have felt a need to put up there is a pizza. I like to make sure my pizza box does not move around on the ride home and the beer rides better in the panniers.

That said, the front rack is a blackburn and is built as sturdy as my delta mega on the back of my commuter.
Old 08-02-11, 08:31 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
The Surly Nice is overkill, as said.

That cheap, small, light Sunlite front rack (eBay, Amazon) works great, assuming it can secure on your bike. Mine makes use of the canti bolts. I have small handlebar bag I keep on the rack (two diff bikes), I think it's a Topeak. It's lower, out of my line of sight, and the handlebar attachments aren't in the way of hand positions, perfect.

If you want a pannier system too, I suggest a minimialist system unless you are touring. The Jannd low comes to mind, and there are similar cheap ones on eBay. Yes, those eyelets are for securing the front rack, but these days most front racks aren't made specifically for that connection point because they are on so few bikes. Fit is a big deal, you really need to analyzse how a particular rack component might secure to you bike, and whether you can adjust and level it, before you buy.

My experience is weight is a huge deal unless you are talking fully load tour rig. You don't want a massive system that extends its weight beyond the front wheel hub or the handling of your bike will turn to crap. Think less is more.
Old 08-02-11, 08:47 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I have a Jandd Extreme front rack, it's definitely sturdy but not the cheapest. I mostly use it for is to carry bulky light weight items that will cause little effect on my steering, and it frees up space on my rear rack and panniers for the more heavier items.

Old 08-02-11, 02:33 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Let me explain my need for a front rack: I have a really nice handlebar bag I like a lot. But I commute during the early morning and use a headlamp. The bag blocks the headlamp.... except if I build another mount for the light. When I used the Jamis as my main commuter I had built a mount whereas the light could be mounted below the bag. That bike had flat bars and the Windsor has drops.

So either I keep trying to find a way to mount my headlamp lower on the Windsor, or go with the frontrack/bag option. And I refuse to try a helmet mounted lamp!!
Old 08-02-11, 02:44 PM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Let me explain my need for a front rack: I have a really nice handlebar bag I like a lot. But I commute during the early morning and use a headlamp. The bag blocks the headlamp.... except if I build another mount for the light. When I used the Jamis as my main commuter I had built a mount whereas the light could be mounted below the bag. That bike had flat bars and the Windsor has drops.

So either I keep trying to find a way to mount my headlamp lower on the Windsor, or go with the frontrack/bag option. And I refuse to try a helmet mounted lamp!!
how about one of these?
https://paulcomp.com/ginolightmount.html
Old 08-03-11, 10:55 AM
c3hamby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is a racktime topit rack that fits your description. they are made by the same company that makes tubus. 45.00 bucks. https://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-...cks-c-310.html
Old 08-03-11, 10:59 AM
c3hamby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, don't let anyone talk you out of a front rack. I have the bomb proof Surly Nice Rack and I put ride maps on mine. I tied a sprinkler I bought at Lowe's to it the other day to make sure it didn't fall off unbeknownst to me. I will be using mine more when I start my tour in September. I don't use it a whole lot for daily commuting but when I do I'm glad I have it.
Old 08-03-11, 11:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
I have a Paul's flatbed, its a wide Porteur's rack type, EZ to mount .. aluminum .
14"x18" capacity .. so you can go retrieve pizzas with it. wood pieces for the load area..
https://www.paulcomp.com/flatbed.html

Have a a narrow wheel top rack?, adding a piece of plywood makes it more practical ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-11 at 11:28 AM.