Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Chorus shifter question

Search
Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Campagnolo Chorus shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-23, 10:12 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
One of the happier days of my life was when I finally found a buyer for the 8-speed Campy that I had replaced with Ultegra. I was afraid that I was gonna die with that box of ugly (with wheels) still on the shelf. Now I'm in the same situation with a box of Campy Racing Triple 9- speed.
But I've learned the lesson. I passed on a lovely bike cos it had Mirage on it and I knew that I'd NEVER find a (deleted) to buy that. Ah, well.

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 11-19-23 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-23-23, 01:16 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by mramra
Hi and sorry, but why?
The poster's bike left handle has 12 clicks, he or she said. Most likely that 12 clicks actually covers 3 front sprockets plus some extra positions. I have one similar which has 10 clicks and I've used it on 2-speed front, 2-speed compact front, 3-speed Racing Triple, and 3-speed Record Triple. The extra clicks allow you to precisely position the front derailleur cage for best engagement, zero noise or crunching, and for the chain to stay where you put it. With a friction shifter you had to do that same fine-tuning (called "feathering" back in the day) by listening, intuition, and really slow motion of the left hand shift lever, usually located on the down-tube. While you were making that adjustment, you were riding the bike one-handed. I gained and retained that skill because I started riding derailleur bikes in the late 1960's (yeah, I'm old). With the friction shifters you had to tension the shift leverbu its friction screw until it had enough friction to stay where you put it, but not enough friction to prevent you from shifting it conveniently and quickly. This issue was equally bad for Campy, Shimano, SunTour, Huret, Sachs, and all the other classic makers of friction-shifting systems and parts. For the Campy systems, that lack of friction was the benefit of indexed shifting, for the front derailleur. For later Campy systems, the design is "one-click equals one-shift," as it is for the rear derailleur.

The right-hand shifter for all the Campy indexed systems is for the rear-derailleur, and all of the different levels are one-click one shift. Sometimes (it is said) a 9 s shifter will work for an 8-speed cassette (or other mixed combinations), but I have not seen that work, now have I tried to make it work. It's really not hard to buy the correct cassette for your shifter or the right shifter for your cassette and derailleur. Usually ince you have the bike set up correctly it stays that way for a large number of miles.

I know this is late, but I hope it helps.
Old 11-23-23, 01:36 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I run 8-speed Ergopower for much of the year. The shifting is perfect, as in as good as any mechanical shifting gets in 2023. So no over-shifting, undershafting, ghost shifting, hesitation, clattering, noise etc. Again, precise and consistent.

I don't understand what you mean by the 9s chain is slipping. Regardless, I use 8-speed chains on my 8-speed Ergopower, as the 9-speed chains will be too narrow to engage correctly on the 8-speed cogs. Favorite chain: Shimano IG-70, or any of the HG chains. Real ones: not the fakes/clones you can buy online. SRAM, Taya OCTO or KMC chains also work well. Chains: buy cheap and replace often.
The inside width of 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed chains is the same. What do you mean 9 are too narrow for 8 speed cogs?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-02-23, 03:30 PM
ChromeChainstay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
More clicks in the left shifter is better for the trim function of front derailleur to prevent the front derailleur cage chain rub while shifting across the rear cassette range.
best invention ever !