Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

1999/2000 Marinoni Cyclo rebuild?

Search
Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 05:13 PM
GordonP

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Norco Rampage, Bontrager Privateer S, Motobecane Super Touring, Rocky Mountain Hammer Frankenbike, Marinoni Turismo Extream, Marinoni Special, Tern Link 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Good day, there is a 1999/2000 Marinoni Cyclo with a 9 speed Camagnolo Mirage groupset available locally for under $500. The frame looks to be in good condition but the groupo looks worn out. 9 speed Mirrage parts are not commonly available so is this bike not worth the time and effort to get back on the road. Or can the frame be built up with other components? My plan would be to use it for recreational rides on bike paths.
Old 10-04-23, 03:44 AM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 67 Posts
Hard to say if it's worth it without more details, e.g. frame material, brand of tubing, fork material, lugged/welded, etc. Can it be built up with different components? Absolutely, but unless you have parts on the shelf you will put more into than it'll ever be worth. For what you want to use it for I believe you could find something better suited and not in need of potentially in need of attention.
John
PS You say the Mirage bits look worn; in the right hands maybe all they need is some TLC and they'd be working acceptably. You might be throwing money down a hole by replacing everything. Makes me more confident in saying that you can probably do better.
Old 10-07-23, 05:32 AM
GordonP

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Norco Rampage, Bontrager Privateer S, Motobecane Super Touring, Rocky Mountain Hammer Frankenbike, Marinoni Turismo Extream, Marinoni Special, Tern Link 8

Thanks for your reply. Marinoni makes great frames and this one is welded and made from Columbus Zona Chromoly with a EVO Carbon fork. So the frame is good but after searching for parts and upgrading it would be a costly pain and probably not worth the effort. It would need new chain, cassette, and triple chain rings etc... This must be a common problem with people buying great frames and only to have the components become obsolete and costly to replace! It is a shame.
Old 10-12-23, 11:44 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonP
It would need new chain, cassette, and triple chain rings etc... .
What you listed are consumables. Maybe not the rings, usually there is one that is worn more than the others and it can be replaced.
It comes down to if you are going to keep it or flip it over time. I usually keep them all. Over time, they have become more desirable and even in this depressed market, I could do better or break even.
For me it is more about the bike than the value.
This is one I built up from F/F and spent more on it than I probably should have but it looks pretty good and is a great rider.
P1050321 on Flickr

Having several bikes allowed me to acquire parts over a 1 yr. period which allowed me to minimize cost. Some parts were way less than they should have been and others were more than I wanted to pay.
Old 10-13-23, 06:34 AM
GordonP

I did a bit more research and during this period Campagnolo was switching between Exa Drive and Ultra drive and since this bike is from around 1999/2000 it could be either system. I think I will pass and look for a newer bike. Beautiful De Rosa by the way.