Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork Crown Part Rotates

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fork Crown Part Rotates

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 12:34 PM
Seuong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork Crown Part Rotates

I have a Fuji Touring Disc 2022, there is a part(crown race?) which rotates & has vertical movement. My concern is that grit seems to be getting inside of the gap, what should I do? I can't yet post photos, but I've linked an Imgur album. Excuse my lack of proper terminology, I'm willing to clarify & learn. Thanks for the help.

imgur.com/a/bywR7wb
Old 08-30-23, 01:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
This is your pic. Good for you knowing how to post the link without the https:// and get through the SPAM filters. You also can upload to the Gallery here and just tell us they are there. But imgur works great too.

https://imgur.com/a/bywR7wb

I'm thinking it's mainly that everything wasn't in the proper place when the stem was tightened. Did you change the stem height?

Though visually that's not much gap, not sure what that particular lower headset should look like on that bike when all is proper. Also not too sure it matters if the upper or lower race rotate as long as there isn't any play in the bearings. But there are some real bike mechanics and frame builders that might be along later. I just DIY.

Welcome to BF.

This video might help... https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...ion-threadless

As I always recommend, if you got it from a shop this way, take it back and let them deal with it. If you bought it online, then maybe call the place you bought it from and check with them what they want you to do.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-30-23 at 02:04 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-30-23, 02:10 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
When you say it has vertical movement do you mean there is play/jiggle there? If so the headset needs to be adjusted. Those bearings and whatnot are called the headset; you are correct that the lowest visible part there is called the crown race; all of that stuff gets snugged up and held together by your stem. You could do it yourself if you're curious or a shop can sort you out pretty quickly. Cool bike btw. Good luck!

Last edited by jasoninohio; 08-30-23 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-30-23, 02:12 PM
Seuong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't changed the stem height but did the assembly myself as I bought it online. I'll try following the video you linked and make sure everything is in place & torqued properly, as it *seems* simple enough. Many thanks.
Old 08-30-23, 02:15 PM
Seuong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, play/jiggle is appropriate. It seems the headset adjustment is the way to go.
Old 08-30-23, 03:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by Seuong
Yes, play/jiggle is appropriate. It seems the headset adjustment is the way to go.
While you are at it, it might be a good idea to check if there is sufficient grease inside the headset. Often, there isn't
Old 08-30-23, 04:22 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
The lower ring is a dust cap. It fits over the crown race and attempts to keep grime out of the bearing. It's OK if you can move it around a little, but it won't hurt to open it up and make sure everything's greased and seated properly.
Likes For oldbobcat: