Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tandem content: 1984 Joe McElroy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 01:11 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts

First off, I had another thread on this bike about nine years ago. When photobucket went through some changes several years ago, I lost the photos that were in that thread. Anyhow, here's an updated version of that .

I found this tandem on Craigslist a bunch of years ago. At the same time, Elliot Bay Bicycles had another McElroy tandem for sale(smaller and cooler than this one). Long story short, I drove down to Des Moines(WA) and bought it).

Joe McElroy was a Boeing engineer who in his free time, built about 35 bicycle frames during the 1980s). Mr. Freeman(Bob) knows Joe, and was kind enough to put me in contact with him. I exchanged a few emails with Mr. McElroy and he informed me that he built this frame in 1984, and that the original owner lived in the same town as me(at the time of purchase).

About the bike. It has a variety of different parts. Some original to it, and others were either installed later or by me. It's a pretty heavy bike at around forty pounds, and rides on 27" tires.

Rear derailleur: Deore
Front derailleur: 105
Crankset: Specialized
Pedals: Specialized
Brakes: Magura hydraulic
Hubs: Phil Wood
Tires: Pasela 27x1 1/4
Saddles: Brooks Professional
Bars: Control Tech and Specialized
Bag: Acorn

You'll have to excuse the zipties on the hydraulic lines. They were on there when I purchased it. I haven't come up with a more elegant solution yet. Also please look past my dowel and ziptie mount for the saddlebag. Brooks Pros don't have loops, and I'm too lazy(cheap) to buy the clamp on loops.

My son and I have logged about 3,000 miles on it since he was four years old(using a kid stoker kit). For comparison, my wife and have ridden it together a little less, like maybe 50 miles(for good reason..). I have many great memories on this bike, even with several BF members here.

So this week I went through it and got new tires and bar tape, gearing change, as well as a quick polish. I did have to cut down the stoker stem a couple of inches to get the reach sorted for my lanky kid. One note on the tires: These Paselas are replacing some cheaper 27" tires of the same size. The Panaracers are noticeably wider,, and barely clear the rear brakes.

Getting it ready for Cino next month, and looking forward to riding it with my thirteen year old son, and some you folks.

Last edited by Roger M; 07-29-21 at 02:44 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 07-29-21, 01:58 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Just stunning!!! And what a great story. Was the builder inspired by Santana? It definitely has a Santana look with its fillet brazing.

How to the brake calipers work? I've always wondered about them and whether it would be worth the effort to find a pair to use here in NH's mountains.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 07-30-21 at 06:21 AM.
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 07-29-21, 02:18 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Just stunning!!! And what a great story. Was the builder inspired by Santana? It definitely has a Santana looked with its fillet brazing.

How to the brake calipers work? I've always wondered about them and whether it would be worth the effort to find a pair to use here in NH's mountains.
Thanks Pastorbob. I'm not sure about the inspiration, but the brazing and finish work is very nice on it. The paint shines up well, but it seems to be kinda fragile, as I have added to the amount of scratches on it over the years.

These brakes are awesome! I rode a Jack Taylor tandem for a few months. It had cantilever brakes with a Phil Wood disc drag brake. These Maguras are much better stoppers on a tandem.

Last edited by Roger M; 07-29-21 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 07-29-21, 02:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Great bike, Roger! See you at Cino.
Likes For nlerner: