Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Think Continental will ever "loosen" the fit?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Think Continental will ever "loosen" the fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 06:31 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
My personal experience - upgraded my wheelset to a nice pair of Boyd carbons. The wheels were tubeless ready, and the proper tape and valve stems were included with the purchase.
I bought a pair of Continental GP5000 tubeless. They were impossible to mount. I'm not talking difficult, I'm talking IMPOSSIBLE, as in almost 3 hours myself, and then an hour at the LBS with myself and the tech trying.
I finally threw in the towel, and bought tubes and a pair of GP5000 clinchers. They went on with my thumbs. I sold the tubeless tires to a guy who told me he had no issue getting them mounted on his wheels (forget the brand, but they were alloy.)
Boyd has since come out with a notice to customers to NOT attempt to mount GP5000 tubeless on their carbon rims, as customers have damaged the wheels trying, and Boyd will not cover that damage.
Unless and until the industry comes out with a tubeless rim 'standard', I'll stick with tubes and clinchers.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-02-21, 07:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I put a new 25mm Continental GP 5000 tubed tire on my Mavic Open Sport rim without levers this last Saturday. I realized that I got the rotation wrong, so I removed it with out levers, fingers only. So that reputation you heard is just from those on the webs that can't.

In fact it's been a long while since I've used a lever to remove or install any tire.
Old 08-02-21, 09:25 AM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
My personal experience - upgraded my wheelset to a nice pair of Boyd carbons. The wheels were tubeless ready, and the proper tape and valve stems were included with the purchase.
I bought a pair of Continental GP5000 tubeless. They were impossible to mount. I'm not talking difficult, I'm talking IMPOSSIBLE, as in almost 3 hours myself, and then an hour at the LBS with myself and the tech trying.
I finally threw in the towel, and bought tubes and a pair of GP5000 clinchers. They went on with my thumbs. I sold the tubeless tires to a guy who told me he had no issue getting them mounted on his wheels (forget the brand, but they were alloy.)
Boyd has since come out with a notice to customers to NOT attempt to mount GP5000 tubeless on their carbon rims, as customers have damaged the wheels trying, and Boyd will not cover that damage.
Unless and until the industry comes out with a tubeless rim 'standard', I'll stick with tubes and clinchers.
Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless mounted on my Boyds pretty easily. I originally wanted to use GP5000s, but as you said Boyd was very clear about not using those.

I did put some GP5000 non tubeless on my wife's bike and they went on reasonably easy.
Old 08-04-21, 06:13 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Universally, no matter which of the LB rims you select at the top, the 25mm is extremely hard to install, and the 28mm pretty easy.
Interesting. I'm using 28s mounted tubeless on carbon rims with 17mm internal width and hooked beads. I'm currently on my third set of GP5KTLs for these wheels. I've got 5 bikes that are all tubeless and this is one of the easiest and most reliable tubeless setups I've had. The last swap of the 5KTLs took maybe 20 minutes total for both tires and the beads seated with a floor pump.

One note: I've had really good luck with the 5KTLs. They have proven to be very durable, they roll fast and have lots of grip. Years ago, I had such a terrible time with sidewall cuts on three different tubed 4KIIs that I actually swore off Conti for a while. The 5KTLs have brought me back to the brand. Tubeless vs. tubed: probably not a fair comparison but there you go.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-04-21 at 06:17 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 08-04-21, 01:37 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Gp5000 clinchers are only tight the first time. After that its supercsimple to pull one bead to swap tubes by hand.

My only argument against gp5000 if you lack the skill, you can damage sidewall.
Old 08-04-21, 01:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've been riding GP4K for 28,000 miles on Zipp 303s. Once I break the bead I can remove them with just my hands. Installation is totally tool free.

I just hope the new GP5K are just as easy.
Old 08-05-21, 09:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Don’t know where the bad rap is coming from but have Conti 5000s tubeless and tubers on two bikes with no issues getting them on or off. Had some 23C Vittoria’s many years ago that fought me every time.