Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Used hybrid bikes for beginners

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 08:31 AM
Bikkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I am looking to buy my first hybrid bike and am looking to buy used. That being said i don’t necessarily have the option of always selecting all models. I’m looking for a bike in the $300-$500 range and 1-2 years old. So some of the common names I come across are the Norco, Giant, Gt and Trek (I’m in Canada btw). So out of these makes is there any I should avoid? Is one better than the rest? Are there any other names you would recommend or advise to avoid?

I am currently looking at this GT Vantara, thoughts?
Old 04-10-20, 09:38 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
That GT is a terrible deal, a low end bike at almost new prices. You could get a brand new Raleigh Cadent at that price.

Don't worry about age, look at condition and quality. The best deals now are high end vintage MTBs, many have been sitting idle for 25 years.
Old 04-10-20, 03:49 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I would suggest to look at Trek and Specialized bikes
Old 04-10-20, 03:58 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikkey
Hello everyone. I am looking to buy my first hybrid bike and am looking to buy used. That being said i don’t necessarily have the option of always selecting all models. I’m looking for a bike in the $300-$500 range and 1-2 years old. So some of the common names I come across are the Norco, Giant, Gt and Trek (I’m in Canada btw). So out of these makes is there any I should avoid? Is one better than the rest? Are there any other names you would recommend or advise to avoid?

I am currently looking at this GT Vantara, thoughts?
I don't have a specific opinion on that GT bike you linked as I don't see many GT bikes here in Wisconsin.
I think looking for a used bike is a good idea, and if you can find something that new then I would say go for it. But if I may ask, why just a used bike that is 1 or 2 years old. That strikes me as limiting yourself and possibly paying too much.

Especially hybrids, it really doesn't much matter if the bike is 2 years old or 10, or even 20 years old. If you know what to look for, even a bike from the 90s could be a nice riding bike for a fraction of the cost of a new bike. But for sure, a bike that someone bought 10 years ago then hung up in the garage after riding it just a few times would be the ideal. Or even a bike that has been well taken care of, but the owner is moving and doesn't have room for it would be fine as well.
So, why just bikes from 2019 or 2018?
Old 04-22-20, 07:25 PM
BreakingDad

Bikes: GT Vantara

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a GT Vantara last year and it's a great bike. I bought mine from Sport Chek.
Old 04-27-20, 06:11 AM
Tophy_Dee

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Take a look at Fuji if possible. I recently bough a used Fuji Absolute 1 and have not been disappointed. In fact, it fits my height perfectly. I definitely lucked out for sure! It’s a great bike for cruising and for exercise. I think the Fuji brand is a pretty underrated bike company. Wish I could submit a pic but I’m working on my 10 posts!
Old 04-28-20, 03:49 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I’ve been commuting 20 miles a day mostly on a old Globe Pilot Disc for about 12 years now. It was a spin-off marquee of Specialized. It is very comfortable and has served me very well. The end of last year I bought a new Sirrus on a Black Friday sale, it to is made by Specialized. It’s a nice refined comfort bike and would buy it again.
Old 04-28-20, 08:27 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
As MRT2 states, I wouldn't restrict myself by just looking at 1-2 year old bikes. In the used market there are always gems to find. There are plenty of hybrid/fitness bikes that were bought, ridden once or a handful of times and then put away. Years later the owners realize they're never going to get into bicycling and decide to sell their bike. You just have to find the right person who understands that their $700 Hybrid isn't worth $500 8 years later because it was never ridden that much. Here in the Los Angeles market there are always a ton of well-kept hybrids up on C/L all the time. Take your time, it's easy recognize when a bike hasn't been ridden or abused.
Old 04-30-20, 07:56 PM
delacrue96

Bikes: 2003 Women's Trek 7200 Multirack 15 inch Dusk Blue

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
I would suggest to look at Trek and Specialized bikes
+1 for Trek