Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How much saddle to bar drop on your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

How much saddle to bar drop on your gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 02:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
8cm for my gravel bike. Measured to the saddle top and measured to where the top of bars and hoods meet.

Its deceiving due to the feed bag blocking the stem.
Old 08-05-21, 10:52 AM
Simonix

Bikes: Giant Bowery single speed, Whyte hardtail MTB, Cannondale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jayp410
It does look aggressive but I'm riding about 90% of the time with my hands resting on the bar tops or hoods, and have a fairly long torso / monkey arms.

Most of the gravel rides I'm doing are steep and/or rocky rather than fast. If I rode a lot in the drops, it would make more sense to raise the bars up...otherwise it would likely hurt my back.
you see I’m with you on this, and without intentionally going off topic, I see online in various places that you “should” ride in the drops on technical stuff, especially descents, as this is why flared bars exist. To give more control.

MY reality is, I feel much more comfortable riding the hoods when in technical sections, including descents. But of course, after well over 25yrs of riding MTB, “getting low” is very much a new experience for me (only had a drop bar bike in some form for a couple of years).
Old 08-05-21, 02:55 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Simonix
MY reality is, I feel much more comfortable riding the hoods when in technical sections, including descents. But of course, after well over 25yrs of riding MTB, “getting low” is very much a new experience for me (only had a drop bar bike in some form for a couple of years).
Me too - I only use the drops on the road trying to gain speed or to change my hand position on a longer ride.
Old 08-05-21, 02:57 PM
Simonix

Bikes: Giant Bowery single speed, Whyte hardtail MTB, Cannondale Topstone Gravel

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
Me too - I only use the drops on the road trying to gain speed or to change my hand position on a longer ride.
yeah, I find it more for trying to get a bit of aero and change things up a little
Old 08-06-21, 02:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
My saddle to bar drop measures in at 9.83 cm (3 7/8”):

It’s a bit higher than my purely pavement setups (~11cm) and seems to work well for my roads and ride style.
Old 08-08-21, 04:19 PM
Simonix

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Here is my diverge setup then. Basically level. This is 58cm frame with specialized hover gravel bars with a 12mm rise and about an inch of headset spacers.

Also, as is mentioned earlier in this thread, I’m 6’3”, with 34” inseam.

Last edited by Simonix; 08-08-21 at 04:24 PM.