Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

craigslist 2003 jake the snake for $450 (yay or nay)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 03:14 AM
prichard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to purchase my 1st cyclocross bike and this looks like the best one for sale in my area. Is this almost decade old bicycle really worth the $450? If not how much would be top dollar on it? It is the correct size for me.

If it matters, I will be using this bike for fun and exercise on some local trails and roads.

In my situation, if he wouldn't budge on the price would you take it at $450 or am I better off waiting for something else to pop up?

Posted the link below,

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/3137789138.html

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Richard
Old 08-04-12, 08:22 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UB0tO8VZaQo

It might be a little much but, if it's in great shape, and doesn't really need anything, I'd probably pay it. I've been known to sometimes overpay a little to get what I want, though I think $400 would be more reasonable, but really, what's $50, if you're going to ride the bike, and it's what you want? I may be a little biased though, as I own a 2010 Jake (great bike) and I briefly owned a 2005 JTS, which I should never have sold.

Personally, I LOVE that paint scheme. It looks better than anything I've seen from Kona recently, IMHO. Kona paint, back then, was known to be pretty weak. Meaning it was very sensitive to being rubbed and scratched. On a bike that old, there are bound to be imperfections.

Does it have tires that you would actually use, that are in good shape? If not, that is an immediate cost you might be able to use to lower the price. It came with cross tires, and the pic looks like they may still be on it. If so, that may also be an indicator of little use.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-12, 08:29 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just re-read your post, and you said "if" he wouldn't budge. I thought you said that he wouldn't budge.

I'd offer something like $300 or $350, and try to keep it in the $3xx range, if possible, with $400 as my probable max. I would also look it over very carefully to see what shape it's in, and try to determine how much actual use it got. Little things like tires, pedals, etc... mean a lot at this price range. If you like and want the ones on the bike, that makes a big difference in what it's worth. If you don't, those things cost money. Seats are always guesswork, unless you've ridden that particular seat before.
Old 08-04-12, 02:41 PM
prichard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I offered $350 and he declined, so I'll probably head over there next time I get some free time and check it out in person. When I'm there with cash money in hand, I'll offer him $400 and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-04-12, 03:21 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No prob. If it's in great shape, it's worth what he's asking, IMHO. $400 for it would be just fine. I don't see him selling it fast though, considering the age. It is one fantastic bike if it fits you.