Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

901 DA chain too soft?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

901 DA chain too soft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 02:55 PM
davfink

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
901 DA chain too soft?

I just rebuilt my drivetrain, moving up from 10s to 11s, and with Shimano R8000 components and added a DA chain in the mix.

i ended up "stepping" on the pedals a couple times, this created a clicking noise, at the same spot in the chain, which lead to the chain skipping at that same clicking noise.
so, applying too much torque to the chain can cause a fresh DA chain to stretch so much, or damage the chain.

When i got home, the chain was binding in the spot it was skipping, so i guess a DA chain down the tubes.
I am thinking of ordering an ultegra chain, hoping the extra weight will mean it is more solid to withstand use.

is this a normal thing?
Old 04-19-22, 03:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Usually when a new chain skips on the cogs or rings, it's because the cog or ring is worn out.

Have you actually measured the new chain to see if it's worn and now out of tolerance?

What you are interpreting as binding of the link might just be the space between the teeth being too worn for a chain with the proper pitch.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-19-22 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-19-22, 03:13 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Is this occurring near the drive pin? Even if elsewhere, it sounds like a stiff link.
Firmly grab the chain a few inches from the kink and massage it sideways, to and fro.
FYI...chains do not stretch. Not even after hundreds of miles.
Old 04-19-22, 03:15 PM
davfink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not yet. the chain has like 50 miles on it, now about 80 miles.
only the front chainring is not new. rear cassette is new,
Old 04-19-22, 03:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Rotate the crank backwards slowly and observe the RDER.
It'll "twitch" noticeably when a stiff link goes through.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-19-22, 03:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Did you join the chain with the Shimano supplied joining pin or a quick link? If it was with the pin, I expect you didn't install it correctly. They aren't that tricky but there is a technique to do it right. DA chains are very good and I expect there was an installation problem.
Old 04-19-22, 08:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by davfink
I just rebuilt my drivetrain, moving up from 10s to 11s, and with Shimano R8000 components and added a DA chain in the mix.

i ended up "stepping" on the pedals a couple times, this created a clicking noise, at the same spot in the chain, which lead to the chain skipping at that same clicking noise.
so, applying too much torque to the chain can cause a fresh DA chain to stretch so much, or damage the chain.

When i got home, the chain was binding in the spot it was skipping, so i guess a DA chain down the tubes.
I am thinking of ordering an ultegra chain, hoping the extra weight will mean it is more solid to withstand use.

is this a normal thing?
Sounds like you didn't close the joining link completely. I'd look at that first. And of course chains don't stretch.

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Is this occurring near the drive pin? Even if elsewhere, it sounds like a stiff link.
Firmly grab the chain a few inches from the kink and massage it sideways, to and fro.
FYI...chains do not stretch. Not even after hundreds of miles.
You mean joining pin? The 11 speed chains don't have a pin, they use a link.
Originally Posted by HillRider
Did you join the chain with the Shimano supplied joining pin or a quick link? If it was with the pin, I expect you didn't install it correctly. They aren't that tricky but there is a technique to do it right. DA chains are very good and I expect there was an installation problem.
Again...these chains use a link not a pin.
Old 04-19-22, 09:12 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Originally Posted by cxwrench

You mean joining pin? The 11 speed chains don't have a pin, they use a link.

Again...these chains use a link not a pin.
We don't know that he used an 11-sp chain, do we? He said 901 chain - whatever that is.
Old 04-19-22, 09:25 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Are your chainrings worn. This sounds like a new chain not meshing properly with a worn ring. You said you have a new cassette and chain, but maybe your front rings are worn out - this would cause the symptoms you describe, of skipping under high power.
Old 04-19-22, 09:34 PM
cxwrench

We don't know that he used an 11-sp chain, do we? He said 901 chain - whatever that is.
You really did just post that...unbelievable. The HG 901 is the 11 speed D/A-XTR chain. It's always good to know what you're talking about when posting on the internet.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-19-22, 11:04 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

You really did just post that...unbelievable. The HG 901 is the 11 speed D/A-XTR chain. It's always good to know what you're talking about when posting on the internet.
I forgot you're a so-called professional mechanic that knows everything.
Same condescending schtick you pulled on a daily basis at roadbikereview.
You should be proud that you helped contribute to that website's demise.
From what I can tell, you're continuing your best to ruin this group. Thanks.
Old 04-19-22, 11:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
no sure where you are getting off. OP said 11 speed specifically and DA chain, and 901 is the DA chain so you call the guy who corrected you condescending? 38 posts in?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-19-22, 11:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Back to the issue. As others have clearly recommended or implied, the OP should first just go through the chain link by link and see if one is tight. I dont' know if they have done that yet? In the OP he said he was ready to trash an expensive chain for what's probably a minor easily corrected issue then later said he hasn't checked anything. I hope he updates.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-20-22, 09:12 AM
cxwrench

Yeah, you're right, that's my goal. But with nearly 1800 likes (whatever they're worth) I don't think I'm doing too much damage. Members that post polite yet incorrect advice cause more problems than I do.
Old 04-20-22, 10:35 AM
davfink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is the HG 901 D/A 11s chain. current 11s chain available.
it has the quicklink, and not pin.
there is a binding on one pin, and it is not near the quicklink, and it is i think from too much force one time.
yes, the front chainring is not new. i am working on trying to decide a new front chainring, but the mileage is about 2000. the visual wear tests on the front chainring show no issues. no lifting, no spacing, no looseness. shifts clean.

I will post a video shortly. I thought this video was better, but once uploaded to YT. it loses quality. you can hear it click, and skip.

I have applied force on prior chains, the ultegra and 105 level chains with no issues in the past.
And by force, i mean going from lighter riding to a hard sitting sprint. not from a stop to a standing jump on the pedals
Old 04-20-22, 11:32 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Good thing for you there's not a thumbs-down button.

Yeah, you're right, that's my goal. But with nearly 1800 likes (whatever they're worth) I don't think I'm doing too much damage. Members that post polite yet incorrect advice cause more problems than I do.

From my parts bin. Shimano sold the HG901 with pins - and no quicklink - for a good spell. And tell me if anybody ever shouted out, "Hey, get me a 901 chain." Nope. They say Dura Ace 11 speed. Gosh, I am so damaging with my poor advice.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-20-22, 02:14 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I don't doubt that a defective chain is possible, or that OP has one, but the claim that OP 'stretched' the chain by applying too much torque is nonsense. Total nonsense. Even chains that are 'stretched' after thousands of miles are not so because of excessive torque but are elongated because of wear inside the links.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 04-20-22, 02:20 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I so, applying too much torque to the chain can cause a fresh DA chain to stretch so much, or damage the chain.

is this a normal thing?
NO and NO. Take the advice of the previous posters and check/correct any other causes. There is a slight possibility that the chain is defective or a counterfeit and a poor one at that but I suspect something else is to blame.
Old 04-20-22, 03:00 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
it is the HG 901 D/A 11s chain. current 11s chain available.
it has the quicklink, and not pin.
there is a binding on one pin, and it is not near the quicklink, and it is i think from too much force one time.
yes, the front chainring is not new. i am working on trying to decide a new front chainring, but the mileage is about 2000. the visual wear tests on the front chainring show no issues. no lifting, no spacing, no looseness. shifts clean.

I will post a video shortly. I thought this video was better, but once uploaded to YT. it loses quality. you can hear it click, and skip.

I have applied force on prior chains, the ultegra and 105 level chains with no issues in the past.
And by force, i mean going from lighter riding to a hard sitting sprint. not from a stop to a standing jump on the pedals
have you tried to loosen that tight link? Why not? Rather than tell you how, simply search "how to loosen a tight chain link". I am having a hard time believing that you have actually considered trashing such an expensive good quality chain after virtually zero miles, and a chain ring after only 2,000 miles. And you think that a lay-person's force could harm a new chain? Do you think a pro would? Really?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-21-22, 11:22 AM
davfink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a video of the chain in action. not the best, but what i could grab while riding.

on you tube

YNxrVuVgF9k
or shimano dura ace chain skipping with the blue shoes.

I tried a bunch of things to try and unbind.
cleaned
re-lubed.
tried the moving, flexing, etc on the list to loosen a stuck link.
no impact.

i pulled the stuck pin, and there seems to be a slight burr that formed on it causing the stickiness.

In terms of comparing to real vs fake chains, and source, this chain should be legit. proper packaging, marks, legit bike store, hollow pins, chain markings, etc.

I am also asking, since DA are run by pros, but i presume dumped after each race/day if the lightness leads to a weaker chain, and dumping this and replacing with a lower level chain will provide more life.

or do i just stick in a couple more master links and wait for it to do it again?
Old 04-21-22, 12:22 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
II am also asking, since DA are run by pros, but i presume dumped after each race/day if the lightness leads to a weaker chain, and dumping this and replacing with a lower level chain will provide more life.

or do i just stick in a couple more master links and wait for it to do it again?
With Shimano and most others you're paying extra for lighter weight and nicer finish. Performance and durability for the next lower 3 or so tiers is the same.
Yes, just stick another quick link on there and ride it till it wears out or I'm sure there are plenty of other posters here that will take it off your hands for you so it doesn't go to waste.
Old 04-21-22, 01:05 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I

I am also asking, since DA are run by pros, but i presume dumped after each race/day if the lightness leads to a weaker chain, and dumping this and replacing with a lower level chain will provide more life.
If the chains are so weak that a lay-person can damage it in 50km then a pro would absolutely tear it in half the first time they went up a hill. Even changing after every ride (which they don't generally do) wouldn't be a useful strategy if the chain failed under heavy riding forces before the end of a stage.

Defective chain? Possibly. Installation error? Also possible. Rough shifting under load causing damage to a link? That can happen too. You're so strong you damaged the chain with your massive torque? Not in a million years.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 04-21-22, 01:45 PM
davfink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
If the chains are so weak that a lay-person can damage it in 50km then a pro would absolutely tear it in half the first time they went up a hill. Even changing after every ride (which they don't generally do) wouldn't be a useful strategy if the chain failed under heavy riding forces before the end of a stage.

Defective chain? Possibly. Installation error? Also possible. Rough shifting under load causing damage to a link? That can happen too. You're so strong you damaged the chain with your massive torque? Not in a million years.
you underestimate me sir. LOL. J/k.

lets hope for installation error or rough shifting, throw a couple quicklinks in for now and go again.
Old 04-21-22, 01:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
I have a video of the chain in action. not the best, but what i could grab while riding.

on you tube

YNxrVuVgF9k
or shimano dura ace chain skipping with the blue shoes.

I tried a bunch of things to try and unbind.
cleaned
re-lubed.
tried the moving, flexing, etc on the list to loosen a stuck link.
no impact.

i pulled the stuck pin, and there seems to be a slight burr that formed on it causing the stickiness.

In terms of comparing to real vs fake chains, and source, this chain should be legit. proper packaging, marks, legit bike store, hollow pins, chain markings, etc.

This, Cog teeth can cause a burr on a chain link from too much pressure when shifting or when the chain isn't fully settled in the teeth valleys. Not very common but I do see this a few times a year (out of hundreds+ bikes I touch annually). And the tighter tolerances, of the "too many cogs in the same space as fewer cogs use to be in" current specs we want, only make the chain's lateral location WRT the teeth tops even more critical.

My speculation is that the OP caused this burr with poor chain management reasons when they really went hard on the pedals. If the chain was not fully settled in the teeth valleys it would try REALLY HARD to do so when the added pedal force was applied. Andy