Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour Cassette/Hub Wobble?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-22, 08:05 PM
mattinkansas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I am working my way through repairs on a Schwinn High Sierra with Suntour components, including a free hub with six speed cassette . There is some side to side wobble which I think is either due to the free hub or the cassette. It is just a little bit of motion which I can detect when moving the entire wheel when it's up on a rack and from just moving the cassette itself when I have the wheel off the bike. I have seen instructions about removing the cassette -- apparently I need two chain whips to remove one of the sprockets (not sure which one?) and then everything should slip off the hub. But here is my question: Even if I do succeed in removing the cogs from the hub using the two chain whips, what have I gained as far as addressing the wobble in the hub? Is the wobble from the cogset or from the hub? And is there a solution? (I did service the wheel hub itself with new bearings and grease, but the wobble was there before I did that and remained after I did it.) Thank you to anybody who has a thought here!

Last edited by mattinkansas; 06-03-22 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-03-22, 08:32 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Your axle bushing nuts bearing cups are loosening, the ones where you need a 15mm and 17mm cone wrenches.

This is a great opportunity to re-grease the bearings.
Old 06-04-22, 04:36 AM
mattinkansas

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you. I did service the bearings, but will check again. It's possible I didn't get the tension right. If there is no damage to the cups or the cones or the axle and the ball bearings are new, is there anything else that could be causing the problem?
Old 06-04-22, 05:14 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Freehubs wobble. I don't know if its manufacturing tolerances for runout or on purpose to aid in shifting, but they all wobble to some degree.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 06-04-22, 06:10 AM
mattinkansas

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh, I did not know that. I've only worked on bikes with threaded freewheels so far in my brief experience with bikes. So, this could be me having the wrong expectations. Could be a big relief! Thanks, dsaul.
Old 06-04-22, 07:36 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Freehubs wobble. I don't know if its manufacturing tolerances for runout or on purpose to aid in shifting, but they all wobble to some degree.
Most wobble to some degree. In my experience, Campy freehubs do not wobble.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 06-06-22, 06:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by mattinkansas
I am working my way through repairs on a Schwinn High Sierra with Suntour components, including a free hub with six speed cassette . !

Are you certain it is a cassette and not a freewheel? Suntour did not have a lot of cassettes and 6 speed even less.
Old 06-06-22, 08:58 AM
mattinkansas

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey Dedhed -- I feel pretty certain this is a cassette. For one thing, there is simply no place to insert a tool to remove a freewheel. Then I found this post by a guy on Facebook who confirmed it. Kind of searching for a video of somebody using two chain whips to remove the sprocket that is acting as the lock ring, so if anybody is still interested in this saga and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure if the Facebook link will work, but it's from Bill's Vintage Steel Bikes, a post from 2015. In his photos though I just realized he is showing a seven speed free hub, not a six speed. So maybe I am just wrong. Seems unlikely that I would have somehow stumbled on to a rare six speed cassette.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Last edited by mattinkansas; 06-06-22 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-06-22, 10:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
The axis of the freehub mechanism is not perfectly coaxial with the axis of the hub. A cosmetic issue.