Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anything particularly unsafe about flat bars???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anything particularly unsafe about flat bars???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-21, 10:15 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
'specially when you consider that MTBs are often the SUVs of the bike world - for many, they're simply the default choice and they may never be used off-road in any significant way.
This, exactly. It may be different in less-urban areas, but my unscientific observations here around town make me think everyone under a certain age rides a mountain bike. Kids riding home from school, hanging out at 7-11, riding on the bike path, at the playground, etc, etc all are on mountain bikes. I'm not sure they're doing much if any off-roading. Someone here on the forum once characterized drop-bar road bikes as "old man''s bikes".... I am not sure I'd agree, but in the eyes of someone less than 30 (or even more so, less than 20), maybe they are.
Old 11-10-21, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
True but you can’t assume that every road bike rider has done any group riding either. Nor that mountain bike riders haven’t done group riding. The scenario that was originally presented was about the lowest level ride of a club. It’s a pretty good assumption that you’ll find a fair number of newbies of all kinds at that level.
I agreed you can't assume anything from the drop bars, that's also true from the flat bars. Your post was a bit weird in that you made that point, then went on to assume MTB riders are experienced. Literally the only disagreement I had with it.
Old 11-10-21, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
'specially when you consider that MTBs are often the SUVs of the bike world - for many, they're simply the default choice and they may never be used off-road in any significant way.

I just don't think there's much correlation between people's bikes and their skill. I've seen people ride the hell out of WM MTBs on roads and I've seen horrible riders on $5000 road bikes. I also know a fair amount of people who have very nice MTBs and road bikes that haven't been ridden once in ten years.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-10-21, 11:21 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I think we're getting correlation confused with certainity. That there is no correlation would be truly shocking.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-13-21, 07:47 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
This

I find that flat bars just get uncomfortable after 15 - 20 miles or so. Drop bars have many more hand positions, each moves you back and shoulders a bit and that makes them better for long rides.
My Moloko bar has oodles of hand positions.
Old 11-13-21, 07:57 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I feel like this should be prominently posted at the top of most forums on the internet...
I'm making that my signature.

EDIT: No dice. The limit is absurdly short.

Last edited by smashndash; 11-13-21 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-13-21, 09:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,638 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
This, exactly. It may be different in less-urban areas, but my unscientific observations here around town make me think everyone under a certain age rides a mountain bike. Kids riding home from school, hanging out at 7-11, riding on the bike path, at the playground, etc, etc all are on mountain bikes. I'm not sure they're doing much if any off-roading. Someone here on the forum once characterized drop-bar road bikes as "old man''s bikes".... I am not sure I'd agree, but in the eyes of someone less than 30 (or even more so, less than 20), maybe they are.
I live in the country right in the heart of hard-core mountain biking. You will never see a Wallyworld bike out here when most of them range from $2000 to $10000. I took my $2500 cheapo Trek out today and its was funny with all the looks I was getting. I could care less, because I am out there to do my thing.

Since I live in both the road bike and MTB camps, I am aware the disciplines are so completely different, and only thing they have in common are the basics. I only know a handful of people who do both so its easy to see why one group really doesn’t understand the other. I liken mountain biking to slalom ski racing and road biking to cross country skiing.

When I ride my road bike in Seattle and the surrounding area, I see plenty of people in their 30s and 40s and not so many seniors. Out where I live, the proportion are about half young and half seniors on their road bikes.

A picture from todays ride.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-13-21, 11:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Branko D
I think we're getting correlation confused with certainity. That there is no correlation would be truly shocking.

I said I didn't think there was "much" correlation, not "no" correlation. I chose my words carefully, and I still think I'm right.
Old 11-13-21, 11:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Flat bars are safer because if the bar has two stories the drunks fall down the stairs.

Yes it did take me a week to think up this joke, no I’m not sorry.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-14-21, 12:01 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I said I didn't think there was "much" correlation, not "no" correlation. I chose my words carefully, and I still think I'm right.
Over 10,000 posts in around three years. A bit of a reach saying you choose your words carefully don’t you think! Almost all of your posts are of a judgmental argumentative nature adding nothing but dissent amongst the BF community. You are averaging over 10 posts a day, give it a rest for gods sake and go ride your bike with some like minded individuals, have a good laugh, drink some coffee, eat a piece of pastry. It really is a wonderful satisfying way to spend the day.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 11-14-21 at 12:48 AM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-14-21, 01:06 AM
PBYO988 

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I think she might be talking of crash or fall scenario and getting poked by the flatbar.

I've been poked by my own flat bar a few times before when I fell on the bike or the bike fell on me. It's unlikely to stab you, unless you crashed hard but poking can be quite painful, cause internal injuries, and can break bones. It's also likely if I'm riding with a group, my flatbar could poke others too in a group spill.

I've never been poked by a drop bar and I've crashed over them a few times. Dropbars are noted for that feature and for the most risk-averse riders would likely insist on dropbars.
Imagine an octogenarian group spill and everyone on flat bars?
Old 11-14-21, 06:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Over 10,000 posts in around three years. A bit of a reach saying you choose your words carefully don’t you think! Almost all of your posts are of a judgmental argumentative nature adding nothing but dissent amongst the BF community. You are averaging over 10 posts a day, give it a rest for gods sake and go ride your bike with some like minded individuals, have a good laugh, drink some coffee, eat a piece of pastry. It really is a wonderful satisfying way to spend the day.

Wow, word quibbles from a guy who doesn't know the difference between "choose" and "chose". Nice.
Thanks for the personal attack.
Ayn Rand was a truly awful writer, so the screen name fits you. It is ironic though, that you're using that screen name AND scolding someone for dissent.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them. Problem solved.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-14-21 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-14-21, 09:04 AM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
If I was able to keep up with road bike folks going 18-20 mph on my 28 pound 1x7 frankengravel bike this summer, I think you'll be fine with this level 4 wine tasting group.
Old 11-14-21, 09:27 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
A person can write a lot of words and choose each one carefully. In fact, that is one of the things which determines the quality of writing. Surely no one is suggesting that because novels are long, or news reporters write frequently, that there fore they must not write well?

Pretty sure Ayn Rand wrote more words per unit of time than Livedarklions. The funniest part of all of it .... so many people forget she was writing fiction.
Old 11-15-21, 01:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
A person can write a lot of words and choose each one carefully. In fact, that is one of the things which determines the quality of writing. Surely no one is suggesting that because novels are long, or news reporters write frequently, that there fore they must not write well?

Pretty sure Ayn Rand wrote more words per unit of time than Livedarklions. The funniest part of all of it .... so many people forget she was writing fiction.

So apparently, I trigger the guy so much that I responded as above, went for a 50 mile ride, and come home to find he's started a thread to try to get me and others banned. What a troll.
Old 11-15-21, 02:15 PM
nasabiker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TCollen
Last summer I was feeling quite spry and self-assured so I signed up for a 4-day, 230 mile ride. There were ~400 cyclists. Over the first 3 days I was unable to pass anybody. One woman, who I met over breakfast on the first day, was 73 years old and had undergone a partial right lung removal 9 months earlier; she blew me away every day.

OUch that had to hurt the pride a but! I hate Strava for the same reason..... it reminds me how slow I am
Old 11-15-21, 02:22 PM
nasabiker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Lol.

Nothing exceptionally hard or dangerous about riding in a group with flat bars.

But in order to save people from dying...I sold that bike this spring and bought a road bike with drop bars.

It really should be time to upgrade to a steering wheel