Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

St louis and I255

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 05:11 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St louis and I255

I think I read somewhere that we (touring cyclists) could cross the Mississippi River via I-255 south of St Louis. Is this true? Thanks!
Old 01-16-11, 07:50 PM
Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a note about using the JB bridge (the I-255 bridge) from this website. https://home.swbell.net/mpion/river.htm

***********************************************************************************
Jefferson Barracks Bridge

It is my understanding that bicyclists regularly use this bridge, and that Missouri authorities have no problem with this; however, Illinois authorities prohibit bicycling on the connecting highways. Bicyclists typically exit at the first offramp on the Illinois side, but must enter by walking down an embankment from a farm-to-market road.
Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

However most of the information on this site about other bridges in the St. Louis Area is seriously outdated. Here is what I know about the other crossings.

I-70 or Poplar street bridge - don't even think about it.

The Eads Bridge- From near downtown East St. Louis to downtown St. Louis. I have used this one, it is fine. Has a sidewalks on the outside of the traffic lanes for pedestrians. Riding in the traffic lanes should not be a problem, except maybe during rush hour traffic.

The McKinley bridge is farther north of downtown St. Louis, about 2.5 miles. From Venice to North St. Louis. Recently rebuilt with a bicycle lane, separated from traffic.

The old Chain of Rocks bridge, closed to cars. Open to bicycles and pedestrians during day time hours. Don't park in the parking lots, there is a lot of crime to parked cars. I haven't heard of any attacks on people.

I think the best bet is to take the Metrolink commuter RR line across the river. Of course, this depends on your intended route and destination. But it has stops in several locations on both sides of the river, and bicycles are allowed, with special guidelines on how to take them. They are pretty simple actually.

Some of these areas are not the safest, especially at night. This includes E. St. Louis, North St. Louis, and Venice. Especially the Eads and McKinley. I wouldn't use those at night, and I would certainly feel more comfortable in any of the areas as part of a group. Alone, I would use the Chain of Rocks bridge. The Jb bridge should not be a problem with personal safety.

There is also a bridge at Alton that may be usable by cyclists.

I assume you are planning a trip through the area. If I knew your approximate route, I might be able to help some more.