Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 06:16 AM
MightyLegnano
The bike plague

Bikes: 70's Legnano Road Bike, Late 70's Mercier Road Bike, Ideal Target Mountain Bike, Specialized crosstrail trekking bike and a unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
[double post]
Old 04-17-12, 10:22 AM
Joe Padilla

Bikes: Trek 520 2011

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got my front bags in now! Handlebar bag comes next week!
Old 04-17-12, 04:29 PM
PeaceP@

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Tri-cross Sport & 2017 Surly Karate Monkey 27.5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Padilla
This was a year ago and I've never had a sore butt, and I ride everywhere, I don't own a car. I'm gonna get a brooks saddle after my CC tour. With the racks,bags,tires,drive train, rear derailleur, tires, map sets, and what not I won't have enough to get a new saddle. But Ive never had a problem with the stock one.
I was surprised to hear this...but more power to you if you can rock out with what you have. I also have not owned a car since 2007. It is a great feeling. I had to drive around a jeep for a minute while my bike was in the shop and I was blown away at how much my income was affected by the purchase of gas, not to mention that city driving is stressful.
Where are you touring next? How long? When and where are you leaving from?
Old 04-17-12, 04:30 PM
PeaceP@

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
you are the only other person that mounts their U-Lock like I do, although yours is facing the other direction. I have never seen this anywhere else. You bike is looking good!
Old 04-17-12, 04:41 PM
PeaceP@

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MightyLegnano
500 km straight without butt soreness? That's something! The damn thing is expensive, that's the only drawback. Which model do you have?

I have a 12$ one from a big european discount super market and performed beautifully in very long trips (German quality). I guess it's a matter of butt physiology and luck. But I'd definitely consider a Brooks after all that positive critique.

P.S.: Blood in stool? For real? I've never heard that. How is that possible?
Yes for real. My first tour across the states was not good for the lower deck. Having a terrible seat is no bueno. I have the B17 model of Brooks https://www.brooksengland.com/catalog...ng/B17+Select/

I found a bike on craigslist for $160 with the B17 on it. So I basically paid $140 for a bike (which is a sweet old women's criterion frame) and $20 for the seat, or however you want to work out the math.
Old 04-17-12, 08:13 PM
Joe Padilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah I saw a pic of a bike on here with there U lock there so I was like that looks good and being that I had no room anywhere else I gave it a shot! Must have been your bike, I thought It looked good so I stole your idea! I put it so the Trek Kryptonite sign was facing out! I leave June 18th from Fayetteville NC to Yorktown VA, Then I hit the Trans American Route to Astoria Oregon! I'm Really Really Really excited! This is gonna be my first long tour. I still have a handle bar bag on the way, and getting a Ortlieb dry bag for the back. Changing out my cassette and derailleur to SLX, and putting some Swhlabe marathon mondails on! I make minimum wage but since I don't own a car I can afford to waste that money on my bike and get Quality gear.
Old 04-17-12, 08:17 PM
Joe Padilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeaceP@
I recently switched up my compact crank to a full triple in the front along with a new derailleurs, bottom bracket, cassette, and chain. Since my bike was going to be pretty much stripped down during the transition of news components I decided to powder coat the frame black, up close it sort of look like leather. To strip the paint I had the frame soda blasted which does not hurt or damage the integrity of the aluminum. This is a 2006 Specialized Tricross Sport. I am touring up to Canada from Utah then down the coast to the redwoods, back trough Utah towards Austin, TX then up to Little Rock, AR (where I stayed for a good minute while touring across the states in '09) then to GA, FL, Boston, back down to TX then into Mexico with my sights set on Argentina. 15-20,000 miles total. I will have the company of my girlfriend and my 2yr old Australian Shepard/Blue Healer (Avenue). The kick off date is July 9th, 2012. I plan to continue my freelance web development services to clients old and new so will be working from the road, please bookmark www.worldsbetweenlines.com to follow the action.

Yep I stole the U lock Idea from you! Looks good though. Your bike looks great, must be doing some heavy duty touring with all those bags and a bob! You going on any tours this summer? Umm nvm I just read your post! Maybe I'll see you guys on the road I'll be in kansas hopefully by july though!
Old 04-21-12, 07:12 AM
wetourbycycle

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are the Surly LHT and Trek 520 loaded during our Europe tour happening right now. You can follow us on www.wetourbycycle.com

Last edited by wetourbycycle; 04-21-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 01:20 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
nothing will ever compare to the fully loaded bike of WRONG WAY WOOTEN. 300 pounds of bike gear and he rode his bike backwards. He was a total badass.. Too bad Tommy has left us but I remember meeting him and left his mark on all that met him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wrongway..jpg (61.3 KB, 550 views)
Old 04-22-12, 01:46 AM
BenzFanatic

Bikes: Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 45 Posts
WOW. I'd think that was a motorcycle if this weren't a bike forum. Nice mercedes 126 chassis in the background too.
Old 04-23-12, 06:57 PM
edwardgibbs

Bikes: 1981 Trek 311 Single Speed Shogun 600 Touring Bike, 1950's Schwinn Corvette, 1971 Raleigh Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
Finally got to the right poster.
Great picture. I too have a early 80's 520 that I love. Used it to pull my now grown kids around in a trailer. Now plan on using it as my tour bike. Mine still has the original DT shifters and 27" wheels but I've been thinking about changing to barends and 700 wheels. What barends do you have and how well is the shifting and are those 700 wheels?
Thanks for posting the pic.
Hi, glad you like the picture and sorry for the delayed response. Mine is a 620. Does your 520 have Cantilever brakes?
The bar ends shifters are old Suntour barcons and they shift fine. I was a little concerned about shifting when I switched to a 9 speed 12-36 cassette, but the shifters and the rear derailleur handle it with fine. That being said I am considering switching out the shifters for a pair of "Silvers" from Rivendell that I have.
The canti brakes are Shimano, from the same period as the frame (can't remember the model) and stop well and are super adjustable. They came from my old Shogun touring rig. There were no issues witching over to 700c wheels.
Old 04-24-12, 08:40 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts

My parents' old cannondale panniers and a racktop bag are all I had around. The Z-lite off the back totally worked. It doesn't really throw much weight back there and stayed rock solid for 175 miles last week. And it's aero!
Old 04-27-12, 10:17 PM
Joe Padilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
got all the bags and another water bottle and cage! I crashed for the first time in 1 and a half years today, but it wasn't my fault. traffic from behind passed me and cut me off turning right. I hit the side of the car crashed and they kept driving. I saw where they went though and got a cop and went to their house. It seems and ol' idiot can get a driver license these days! Only thing that got scraped was my left knee. My 520 was just fine (thanks to my Ortlieb bags). Oh the wreck happened a half block away from my LBS!
Old 04-28-12, 06:09 AM
dabrucru

Bikes: cube sl road comp, canyon neuron, GFM city bike with child seat attached, peugeot 80's city bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not so loaded, but i use it for touring, and im planning to use it to a short trip to sicily, just did the upgrade of , well , almost everything.
Attached Images
Old 04-29-12, 02:37 PM
JeanSeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally able to contribute to this thread, leaving soon on my first tour. Have a great summer everyone !

Old 04-29-12, 02:41 PM
Joe Padilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
first ride with almost everything that im taking with me. did 45 miles at a average of 15.4 mph, in 2hr 51 minutes.

Old 04-30-12, 04:54 AM
georgiaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to put that rope in a bag or something. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 04-30-12, 06:36 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Valid point. Good spotting that.
Old 04-30-12, 07:25 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
first ride with almost everything that im taking with me. did 45 miles at a average of 15.4 mph, in 2hr 51 minutes.

is that a light mount on the front rack? (the round thingy out front)
Old 04-30-12, 08:32 AM
Joe Padilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah I got a 35L Ortlieb dry bag coming this week, that should be all the room I need for the rest of my odds and ends. To be fair with the tubus rack I barely had to bungie my tent on top its so sturdy. Those Ortlieb bags hold a freakin ton of stuff!
Old 04-30-12, 08:33 AM
Joe Padilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah thats a light mount, I ride to work everyday and its dark on the way home, and with my new handlebar bag I had to mount my light somewere. I tried to mount to the bottom of my front fork but it sat to low for the other cars to see my light and my rim blocked some of the light so I took it to the car shop next to my work and the rigged it up with some tubing and zip cords! Its on there tight too!

Last edited by Joe Padilla; 04-30-12 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 08:40 AM
PeaceP@

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
got all the bags and another water bottle and cage! I crashed for the first time in 1 and a half years today, but it wasn't my fault. traffic from behind passed me and cut me off turning right. I hit the side of the car crashed and they kept driving. I saw where they went though and got a cop and went to their house. It seems and ol' idiot can get a driver license these days! Only thing that got scraped was my left knee. My 520 was just fine (thanks to my Ortlieb bags). Oh the wreck happened a half block away from my LBS!
Looks GREAT!!! I just biked a small weekend tour to Antelope Island, UT to get used to hauling my Dog in the Burley Nomad. Do you have a blog you will be updating? If not I would recommend https://www.travelblog.org/
Old 04-30-12, 01:23 PM
Bill G
Bill G

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeaceP@
Looks GREAT!!! I just biked a small weekend tour to Antelope Island, UT to get used to hauling my Dog in the Burley Nomad. Do you have a blog you will be updating? If not I would recommend https://www.travelblog.org/

There is a lot of Idiot car drivers out there that will run over you in second. Also there is a bunch of weekend warrors Idiots on the bike trails. Like familys with 2 to 5 kids out there on there bikes riding in all derections, circles and right in front of you if you do not watch it, you have to be carefull. They do not know proper trail rules nor do they care. Had a group of 5 or 6 pull in front of me just yesterday they saw me comeing didn't care then talked crap to me when I asked if I could get by them. Happens more and more everyday here where I live, plus they throw trash all over the place with no respect for the bike trail system.

Nice looking Rig it looks great, glad all is ok.

Ride Safe,
Bill G
Attached Images
IMG00096-20100717-1628..jpg (103.9 KB, 355 views)

Last edited by Bill G; 04-30-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-30-12, 02:23 PM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill G
There is a lot of Idiot car drivers out there that will run over you in second. Also there is a bunch of weekend warrors Idiots on the bike trails. Like familys with 2 to 5 kids out there on there bikes riding in all derections, circles and right in front of you if you do not watch it, you have to be carefull. They do not know proper trail rules nor do they care. Had a group of 5 or 6 pull in front of me just yesterday they saw me comeing didn't care then talked crap to me when I asked if I could get by them. Happens more and more everyday here where I live, plus they throw trash all over the place with no respect for the bike trail system.

Nice looking Rig it looks great, glad all is ok.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

I understand what you are saying about the rules of the trails, and roads for that matter. My twin girls have just learned to ride, but have been with me all the time. I took them to closed parking lot, set up cones, and showed them what to do in different situations. Then I ran behind them (while pushing my son in jogging strolle)r all the way home (they weren't going fast anyway) and gave guidance to them about if another cyclist is passing, what to say if they're passing, and how to signal. When I got home, my neighbor asked what I had been doing, so I explained, and he said he thought that was sort of wasteful! And yet another person to watch for.....
Old 04-30-12, 05:05 PM
Bill G
Bill G

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djyak
I understand what you are saying about the rules of the trails, and roads for that matter. My twin girls have just learned to ride, but have been with me all the time. I took them to closed parking lot, set up cones, and showed them what to do in different situations. Then I ran behind them (while pushing my son in jogging strolle)r all the way home (they weren't going fast anyway) and gave guidance to them about if another cyclist is passing, what to say if they're passing, and how to signal. When I got home, my neighbor asked what I had been doing, so I explained, and he said he thought that was sort of wasteful! And yet another person to watch for.....
That is awsome, I did the same kind of thing with my boys when they were younger now 27 & 22. I wish more would do the same. I do not have a problem with kids, family's or jogger's or follks going slower on the bike trail. I just wish everyone would play by the rules so it is all good and safe and enjoyable for everyone. And about your neighbor there are a lot out there like him, clueless that is why we have these issues in the first place on the trail and with adults, adult parents and there children today..

Great Job & Ride Safe,
Bill G
Attached Images
IMG00096-20100717-1628..jpg (103.9 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by Bill G; 04-30-12 at 05:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.