Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sram AXS: Login into App not working

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 12:21 AM
mjbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello,
I hope this is the correct forum.

I recently bought a MTB with a GX AXS drivetrain.
A few days before I bought the bike, I installed the sram app (Android) without any problems and set up an sram account on their website. Login into the app worked.
When first trying to connect to the drivetrain I suddenly had to login again and it didn't work. Only after removing and re-installing the app.
Then it worked. I could update the firmware and use the app for a few days.
Now I am logged out again. And can no longer login.
I have two login possibilities: Google social login and username/password. Both work on the axs.sram.com Website without any problems.
But on the phone (which I assume simply calls the same servers for login as does the website) it does not work. There is a circle turning on the login button for about 1 second and then nothing happens.
No error message.

Has anybody had similar problems?
Old 05-05-22, 10:42 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mjbike
I am logged out again. And can no longer login.
Sounds like a glitchy app. Contact Sram?

This is a new shop for me (my first bike from Trek) and I am very happy with them. I am sure to have a great relationship with them in the coming years.
Your relationship may be more frequent than you imagined. Take your bike and your phone in, and see if they can help figure it out.
Old 05-05-22, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Did you buy it from a LBS? Let them set it up for you like you want it configured.

You don't have to be logged in to ride do you?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-05-22, 12:05 PM
mjbike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the answers.
The guys at the bike shop hadn't seen this login problem and I fear this is a software bug not related to the bike. I am a programmer myself and I think this is a bug in the login part of the app.
I've contact Sram, let's see if they have an idea.
Friends and colleagues who own an AXS drivetrain have never had this issue.
@Iride01:
I bought the bike from a bike shop not too far away (not my usual one but at another one where the full suss I wanted was available). Both are great shops but of course no software experts.
The app is not necessary for riding the bike or even for most of the drivetrain setup. But it is convenient and I - as far as I know - the only way to update the firmware on the drivetrain.
Old 05-06-22, 02:42 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Do you have another phone available to try the app on? On the whole I've found Android apps pretty well behaved, but I know of at least one app that works perfectly for my wife but misbehaves on my phone. Both phones are Samsung Galaxy's of a similar age; ironically, mine is the higher spec.
Old 05-06-22, 02:48 AM
mjbike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It worked on my brother's phone which is a new model. But I haven't tested it for longer. I worked on mine as well, it's just that I got logged out and can no longer login again.
Mine still has Android 8. I plan to get a new phone soon but I am waiting for the Google Pixel 6a which might be a few month until it hits the stores.

It seems that the login actually is performed because it doesn't show that the credentials are wrong (which it does if I enter an incorrect password).
I don't think this has something to do with my Android version, though. Sram says it works for Android 8 (otherwise installing it wouldn't work) so I expect it to let me login.
Still no response from Sram but I think they'll write soon, normally they are quite fast.
Old 05-06-22, 12:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My bikes have a lot of problems, but not being able to log in isn't one of them.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-07-22, 12:44 AM
mjbike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My bikes have a lot of problems, but not being able to log in isn't one of them.
It's just the app. The bike works perfectly fine without the app :-)
I'll post an update once I have an answer from sram in case others also run into this.
Likes For mjbike:
Old 05-07-22, 06:09 AM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It worked on my brother's phone which is a new model. But I haven't tested it for longer. I worked on mine as well, it's just that I got logged out and can no longer login again.
Mine still has Android 8. I plan to get a new phone soon but I am waiting for the Google Pixel 6a which might be a few month until it hits the stores.

It seems that the login actually is performed because it doesn't show that the credentials are wrong (which it does if I enter an incorrect password).
I don't think this has something to do with my Android version, though. Sram says it works for Android 8 (otherwise installing it wouldn't work) so I expect it to let me login.
Still no response from Sram but I think they'll write soon, normally they are quite fast.
6a will be released after 5/11 when Google has that conference. Android 8 is ancient and AXS was invented just a while ago.. My phone is on 10 (started with 8). Check if you can upgrade OS.

Since it works on newer phones, there is your problem.

SRAM also say SX is great, so their opinion is biased.

Over time your phone gums up.. I recently did a factory reset on mine and only installed what I really need. That helped a lot.
Old 05-10-22, 01:05 AM
mjbike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sram also said that older phones might be more of a problem.
I managed to get it running after another uninstall/reinstall. For now that is a workaround I can live with. I only occasionally use the app for firmware updates and maybe very rarely for some config changes.
In a few weeks a new phone should arrive and that will hopefully solve this problem completely. By then my gravel bike with the rival axs xplr may also arrive.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!
Old 05-10-22, 09:36 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Sram also said that older phones might be more of a problem.
In a few weeks a new phone should arrive and that will hopefully solve this problem
I'm not bashing the technology, but when buying a new bike also requires that you buy a new phone, I'm less than sold on the whole electronic shifting thing...

That rant aside, I hope you get everything working to your satisfaction!
Old 05-10-22, 01:19 PM
mjbike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was getting a new phone anyway, completely independent of the bike :-)
But I agree, if I didn't plan to buy a new phone anyway this would be a bit annoying. That said, the app is not really mandatory. I am sure a bike shop would also perform a firmware update once in a while or as part of the the yearly service.
Right now it works. My phone is really old, the Google Nexus 5X was launched more than 6 years ago (mine is almost 6 years old and the battery is getting weak).
Likes For mjbike:
Old 05-12-22, 01:11 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thanks for the answers.
The guys at the bike shop hadn't seen this login problem and I fear this is a software bug not related to the bike. I am a programmer myself and I think this is a bug in the login part of the app.
I've contact Sram, let's see if they have an idea.
Friends and colleagues who own an AXS drivetrain have never had this issue.
@Iride01:
I bought the bike from a bike shop not too far away (not my usual one but at another one where the full suss I wanted was available). Both are great shops but of course no software experts.
The app is not necessary for riding the bike or even for most of the drivetrain setup. But it is convenient and I - as far as I know - the only way to update the firmware on the drivetrain.
If they sell AXS/ETap/Di2 or any other electronic shifting, they should absolutely know how to do everything related to that system, including the apps. If they don't they have been too lazy to actually learn about and properly service what they're selling. The excuse you mention would be like a Ford dealer/service center not knowing how to deal with a firmware or software issue in their vehicles. The days of mechanics being simply physical mechanics is long gone, including bikes.

For what it's worth, there's a Facebook group on AXS users with a lot of similar questions. You might check it out. However, this forum and all the subforums is so much better than all the various Facebook bicycle related groups. I'm regularly referring people here because people here are better and far nicer.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-12-22 at 01:14 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-28-22, 03:58 AM
mjbike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quick update for those with similar problems: Yesterday a new version of the app was installed. This requires a new login (which I think shouldn't be necessary). Then only a uninstall/install fixes the problem. Maybe I turn off auto-update.
As written, this is a workaround until I get my Pixel 6a.

Funny feature: My nwe road bike (KTM Revelator Alto Master) has the new Ultegra Di2 2x12 (awesome shifting!) and it's connected to my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus. And my SRAM account is linked to my Garmin Connect account. Yesterday when I got back from a road bike ride the SRAM website (and the app which just displays the axs.sram.com website) showed how often I shifted the Ultegra rear derailleur. Given that SRAM and Shimano are not compatible (and the weird **** Shimano pulled on Hammerhead this week) I think the Garmin stores the shifting data from the Ultegra drivetrain and the SRAM-Garmin connection then has access to it.