Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unpacking and getting to know the Sancineto

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 07:43 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,045 Times in 1,792 Posts

I actually paid for this about two months ago but told the seller no rush on the shipment. He had some issues crop up on his end but the bike came in today just fine. This is the same guy I bought my mint pink Motta frame from. I bought this mainly to see what these Sancineto's are all about. In the pics it looked a bit rough paint wise and I honestly though the chrome was trashed on the chain stays. First saw it on Ebay but once we realized who each other was we worked a side deal for much cheaper.

When I unpacked it I was like, yep dull paint. But hey the chrome isn't too bad. It was a bit rough with some rust pitting on the inside 1/3 nearest the BB and some on the bottoms. But some fine steel wool knocked that right out and then chrome polish finished things up. Attacked the chrome of the fork with good results too. Call that a win! Then I spent about an hour or so with paint compound going over all the paint surfaces. I had washed the bike before I did anything and the paint had stayed dull and dry looking. The first round of compound shows there's still plenty of shine to be had. So all and all I'm calling this a win. The bike has some honest wear in the paint but nothing I'm really bothered by.

Build quality appears to be really, really good on this one. Lot's of nice details and good lug work and all. The revived paint shows that it was a real quality job in my book. Surprising this is the decals feel like they are on top of the paint and not under the clear coat. Surprised by that bit.

Anyway, more to come on this. It has a Mirage 9 speed build on it that I thought I'd be fine with. But seeing the shine come out in the paint has be thinking evil Campagnolo purchasing thoughts. Must avoid that rabbit hole.

Here's some quick snapshots of things as I worked on it this evening.

Pretty much as out of the box. The Raleigh in the back sold as I was working on this.

After a wash.

Not sure yet about the over all paint scheme

Some damage on this side of the top tube

Mirage

Neuron tubeset

Columbus dropouts

Cool, unique seat stays

Pantographed BB

Not a flat crown but still nice.
Old 04-08-24, 07:47 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Nice details

Nice details

Nice details

Dull paint

After the initial polish

More dull paint

The shine is there with some work.

Chrome is looking good.
Old 04-08-24, 08:08 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 303 Posts
I have a hunch you’re going to find all the right bits for that one. Looking forward to the end result.
Old 04-09-24, 10:44 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 182 Posts
Did the seller know the precise year of manufacture of this particular frame? With the clues I see I'd guess it's a 1995 or 96 model. Sancineto's can be a little tough to pin down sometimes though. Good luck with the build!
Old 04-09-24, 11:45 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Did the seller know the precise year of manufacture of this particular frame? With the clues I see I'd guess it's a 1995 or 96 model. Sancineto's can be a little tough to pin down sometimes though. Good luck with the build!
Not sure off the top of my head but I also know who he got the bike from. Are the first numbers of the serial number the date? Pretty sure the serial number started with 96.
Old 04-09-24, 11:58 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 136 Posts
interesting treatment of the seat stay, I've never seen that before. Great to see it getting polished, it looks like a quality frame. Looking forward to your build.
Old 04-09-24, 12:32 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 652 Posts
Very nice bike frame and Neuron tubing is top quality.
Old 04-09-24, 05:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
That marque is new to me. Part of the fun of BikeForums/C&V!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-09-24, 07:46 PM
jamesdak 

Man, am I happy I pulled the trigger on this one. It sure looked rough when I unboxed it but you should see it now! All told I probably put 4 hours into reviving the paint by hand. I really need to find some kind of small polishing machine to make this easier. So, two rounds of Meguiars ultimate compound, followed up with a round of Meguiars ultimate polish, then their Gold Carnauba wax, and then topped off with the liquid spray wax. I found plenty of shine in the old girl. Now the dang rabbit hole has appeared again. This bike came with a perfectly fine Mirage groupset and wheels. But now that just does not seem adequate for such a beauty. So much for not putting money into this one....

Some quick P&S pics to try and show the shine.

There's a pretty good scratch along the drive side of the top tube but I don't plan to touch it up. It's not that visible from a couple of feet away. I will clean and then touch up a few bits of the black though since one is down to bare metal.
Old 04-09-24, 08:11 PM
jamesdak 

Oh and the Mirage (I think) wheels with Delta rims are quite hefty and probably not going back on this. With the current tires and cassette on them they are over 7 1/4 lbs for the pair without the skewers. I still have a brand new set of Zonda wheels waiting for their chance to roll. Just have to see if I have the right spacer rings to build another modified 8 speed cassette. If I stick with the Mirage parts....
Old 04-10-24, 12:27 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Oh and the Mirage (I think) wheels with Delta rims are quite hefty and probably not going back on this. With the current tires and cassette on them they are over 7 1/4 lbs for the pair without the skewers. I still have a brand new set of Zonda wheels waiting for their chance to roll. Just have to see if I have the right spacer rings to build another modified 8 speed cassette. If I stick with the Mirage parts....
I think that you will update it with 8 speed record or chorus
Old 04-11-24, 08:08 AM
jamesdak 

Last night I went over the Mirage parts this came with. Everything got a deep clean, degrease, polished and then relubed and all. When I took apart the jockey wheels to work on them they really have very little wear. Doesn't seem like the parts have much use. The sane thing is just to put them back on. But the urge to upgrade is strong on this one. I have a brand new Ultegra 6800 groupset and two very nice Dura Ace 7700 groupsets I could put on it but that seems so wrong. The Campagnolo "upgrade" seems the right choice. But I'm also thinking black parts on this versus silver due to the paint scheme. Which moves me more towards a modern C.F. Campagnolo option and the cost there of. These stinkin' rabbit holes seem to pop up everywhere, LOL!

Old 04-11-24, 03:21 PM
jamesdak 

Some days it pays to just take off. I was cruising another bike forum's classifieds for possible parts for this and appear to have struck Italian gold. Timing is everything sometimes. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be putting these Mirage parts on this beauty.
Old 04-11-24, 05:44 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Some days it pays to just take off. I was cruising another bike forum's classifieds for possible parts for this and appear to have struck Italian gold. Timing is everything sometimes. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be putting these Mirage parts on this beauty.
You will certainly put Record or Chorus or if not Dura Ace 7800
Old 04-12-24, 06:06 PM
jamesdak 

Finished cleaning up all the parts off the bike except for the crank and BB. Not going to pull that until I know for sure I'm not rebuilding with the Mirage parts. Oh and I still need to open up and go through the hubs.

The parts cleaned up really nicely. I've never had one of these hinged ITM 800 Open stems before.

ITM Super Europa 2 cleaned up nicely too. I soak in hot water with dawn made short work of all the tape residue and adhesive.
Old 04-14-24, 08:32 AM
jamesdak 

Attacked the wheels last night. First time I've run into a rear wheel with the cassette literally "glued" to the freehub. Someone had greased it and that was working as a glue of sorts. Had to actually pry it free cog after cog to get it removed. From there everything went great. Was not expecting the hubs to polish up so well. Has what appears to be brand new Schwalbe Lugano 2 tires on the Delta rims. Once I checked the reviews on the tires, I pulled them off. They'll go into the stash heading for the bike collective. Weighed the wheels without skewers. Front was 879, rear was 1190, 2069 grams total. Not the lightest in the world, LOL!

Good looking other than the wear on the brake tracks

Hubs shined up nicely.

Can't find much on these versions of the Delta rims but they seem pretty heavy.

Can't find much on these versions of the Delta rims but they seem pretty heavy.

Hubs shined up nicely.

Hubs shined up nicely.
Old 04-14-24, 10:06 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 182 Posts
I always like to completely re-build the wheels on a project like this. It would be a good opportunity to put on some nice polished rims to go with all that shiny Campy stuff! Almost nothing does more to refresh a bikes feel that a fresh set of wheels in my opinion.
Old 04-14-24, 01:21 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I always like to completely re-build the wheels on a project like this. It would be a good opportunity to put on some nice polished rims to go with all that shiny Campy stuff! Almost nothing does more to refresh a bikes feel that a fresh set of wheels in my opinion.
Alas, one skill I've never learned. Maybe when I retire.
Old 04-14-24, 02:13 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 142 Posts
Dang, you are the king of shine!

Nice ride by the way!
Old 04-21-24, 06:41 PM
jamesdak 

Ugh... here we go again. Decided to mock it up with the Mirage parts it came with. Looks pretty dang good like that. Still it almost seems a shame to put these heavy parts on this nice, light frame. Maybe I need to see what all I have in other silver Campagnolo parts.

Overall looks nice.

The end of the pivot bolt on this has lost it's finish.
Old 04-24-24, 09:04 AM
Noirval

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sancineto

Hi there, I have the opportunity to buy a similar Sancineto yelow bike. Would you recommend it?
Old 04-24-24, 11:58 AM
jamesdak 

^ If it fits you and the price is right I sure would. They are nicely built. Now that said, I haven't ridden it yet so it may be a dog on the road.

I will say I am actively seeking newer/lighter, silver Campagnolo parts for mine as I keep thinking it deserves better than the Mirage parts.
Old 04-26-24, 08:22 PM
jamesdak 

Finally decided how to go with this one today. I've been planning of getting rid of the old C4 Air One and it had a nice 8 speed Chorus groupset on it. Figured it would be easy to just swap the Mirage parts for the Chorus ones. And it was except for the dummy behind the wrench. Once again my wandering, distracted old brain got me. Long story short I have all the Chorus stuff on or ready to go onto the Sancineto but totally ruined the Mirage crankset with one of my senior moments. I pulled the rings off the crankset and chucked it.

And ran into an issue with the BB on the Sancineto. Seems like no matter how many BB tools I buy I always run into something different. So.....screw it! This one is heading to the LBS to get completed. I'm just burnt out wrenching on bikes and just want to ride and be outside. Well...if the stinkin' rain would stop.

Still have the Colnago CT1 to build and the Pegoretti and just am not feeling it. Plus some day I need to attack the stuck seatpost on the Kamra, rebuild that, and then donate it.

Vacation can't come soon enough....

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-27-24 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-27-24, 12:14 AM
Noirval

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally decided how to go with this one today. I've been planning of getting ride of the old C4 Air One and it had a nice 8 speed Chorus groupset on it. Figured it would be easy to just swap the Mirage parts for the Chorus ones. And it was except for the dummy behind the wrench. Once again my wandering, distracted old brain got me. Long story short I have all the Chorus stuff on or ready to go onto the Sancineto but totally ruined the Mirage crankset with one of my senior moments. I pulled the rings off the crankset and chucked it.

And ran into an issue with the BB on the Sancineto. Seems like no matter how many BB tools I buy I always run into something different. So.....screw it! This one is heading to the LBS to get completed. I'm just burnt out wrenching on bikes and just want to ride and be outside. Well...if the stinkin' rain would stop.

Still have the Colnago CT1 to build and the Pegoretti and just am not feeling it. Plus some day I need to attack the stuck seatpost on the Kamra, rebuild that, and then donate it.

Vacation can't come soon enough....
It sounds like you've had quite the adventure with your bike projects! Swapping parts between bikes can be a great way to refresh an older model, but it definitely comes with its share of challenges, as you've found out. It's a wise move to take the Sancineto to your local bike shop to sort out the bottom bracket issue, especially when the enthusiasm for DIY bike maintenance starts to wane. Taking a break and getting some riding in, weather permitting, seems like a perfect way to recharge before tackling the other projects like the Colnago CT1, Pegoretti, and the Kamra with its stubborn seatpost. Hopefully, the rain clears up soon, and you can enjoy some well-deserved time outdoors! Hang in there, and enjoy your upcoming vacation—it sounds like it's coming at just the right time.
Old 04-27-24, 11:46 AM
jamesdak 

Finishing the mock up of this one since it's still cold and rainy. Swapped the lighter Cane Creek wheels out for the slightly heavier Record/Hed Belgium wheelset since it gives me a wider rim. Hopefully more volume from the new GP 5000 700 x 25 tires. This bike will use a modified 9 speed Veloce cassette to make an 8 speed one that will fit on the modern freehub. Then I swapped out the heavy seatpost that came with this along with the Flite saddle. Those never get along with me on rides. Put on a Fizik Kurve Chameleon saddle with Thomson seatpost. Finally I swapped out the heavy stem and bars for the light Cinelli Grammo and Cinelli Top Ergo 66 bars. Even with the heavier wheels the total weight dropped by 10 ozs.

Final build will be black bar tape

Chorus RD

Generic Skeleton brakes

Thompson Seatpost and Fizik Saddle

Grammo stem, so light.

Generic Skeleton brakes

Top Ergo 66 bars

Chrous crankset with Record FD

Record hubs with Belgium C2 rims

Record hubs with Belgium C2 rims

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.