Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When will they ever learn

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When will they ever learn

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 07:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

So did you spend 58 years staring at your front wheel?
Old 08-25-22, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I thought there wasn’t going to be any math on this thread.
The 1% is always taking the math from the 99%! We need to break up the big math and make it smaller. Bernie 2024
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-25-22, 07:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
With my 58 or so years on a DF bike and 17 on bent and trikes, Im quite sure my experience has taught me a lot about cycling.
Mere longevity does not equal knowledge.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-26-22, 05:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Mere longevity does not equal knowledge.

Apparently, it was 58 years of riding a DF bike incorrectly.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-22, 07:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
The actual conversation went like this. Bike trouble?? Yes, flat tiire, I got a huge screw in my tire. I have a patches and a pump. Thanks but the hole is too big for a patch, and the tire will have to be thrown away too. Well ok, so, how far have you walked, and how far do you have to go? About 5 miles, and 5 miles to go. And that was about all that was said. As I stated before, I didnt demand to see the tube or the hole. He was the one that said it was too big to patch.
So ....THE ENTIRE THREAD IS BS!!!!!!!!

The guy would have needed a tire and a tube .... do You, Mr. Rydabent, carry a spare Tire .... or Two, because likely your recumbent has two different sized wheels? This guy could have brought two tubes, three patch kits, and a boot, and still might have had to walk.

But you won't miss a chance to denigrate anyone else for any reason---for their clothes,. their bicycles, their gear ..... all superficial things, but you p!$$ all over anyone who doesn't do it Just Like You Do .... and since no one else does, you think you are the best in the universe, and thus it is your place to judge--and judge negatively--everyone else in the world.

You even took a cheap shot because the guy had a decent bike .... in fact, the whole thread was a bunch of cheap shots about a guy who as you tell it, was quite alright with his life. You are the one getting all worked up into some self-righteous caustic explosion over this guy's flat tire.

Why didn't you ask him why he didn't have repair gear?

Do you even know if it was his bike? Maybe a couple friends went riding and loaned him a bike so he could join them, then when he flatted, her told them to enjoy the ride, he would walk home---they had patches, etc., but as he stated, the damage was too great.

Maybe it was his bike, and he was out with friends who didn't being repair gear, and when he realized he couldn't fix his tire, he loaned them his saddle-bag and told them to enjoy the ride, knowing that they could patch Most flats if they needed to .... and it wasn't doing him any good.[/QUOTE]

So all your attacks are the usual bull schidtt, from the same few, trying to make me out the bad guy. But let me state this, to offend me, first I would have to respect your opinion, but I dont, and let your snide remarks roll off like water on a ducks back.
That's pretty funny. You attack some poor guy who got a flat, you come here to start a thread on an international website to ridicule this guy .... but you don't see that You Started This Fight. You made the post ridiculing this guy, You attacked first.

And if you don't respect our opinions, why do you post here? How pathetic are you? And how dishonest, because if you didn't want to be noticed, if not granted approval, you wouldn't post here. There are a lot of people whose opinion I do not value at all .... they are not part of my life, I do not engage them in conversation. You are not being honest with us, which we expect .... but seriously, are you trying to fool yourself?

OH----------and BTW this last week end I rode my trike in perfect comfort 65 miles. Not too bad for an 84 year old-------------right********************?
Yeah, but you can be a decent rider and rotten human being.

There are "wise elders" who have learned a lot from life and continue to learn .... and there are "crotchety old folk" who lie to themselves and others, yell at clouds, belittle other people over superficial matters, and who stopped learning decades ago .... the only thing that has continued to grow is those people's sense of ultimate rightness .... you think because you haven't died yet, you must be special .... yeah, and the garbage dump in my home town is older than both of us put together, and it is still going strong, too. You have a point, maybe?

Look, whether you know it or not, I do respect you, at least somewhat, because you are (or claim to be) an old person who has kept up with his love of cycling for many decades. (of course, you could be some obese 19-year-old who joined the site as a preteen and have been posting troll-threads for all this time .... ) But hey. I am not here just to run you down, though I will make a joke about you now and then.

Most of the people who have posted here are pointing out a real behavioral issue you express--you like to crap on other (possibly imaginary) people. You like to see people and imagine them as being stupid, and then attack them for the things you only imagine.

This is Not healthy behavior. if you are just too old to learn---if your brain has calcified, and new thought patterns simply cannot be introduced---well, alright then. But if you are still of sound mind---Learn a Lesson. Change the way you think. If you Want to be an increasingly bitter old man, crapping all around you on imaginary foes, and sitting in a pile of your own toxic crap .... go for it.

Most people here would rather you keep riding, keep posting, and Keep Getting Smarter.

I wouldn't mind if both of us were still posting here in six years, and both still riding and liking it .... I am eager to hear about how long it takes you to ride your age when you turn 90. Heck, by then maybe I will have finally moved someplace with decent bike trails and be pedaling that trike I have been wanting for so many years. I would definitely drive to Nebraska (or wherever Rydabents grow) to harass you along your birthday ride .... if I could keep up.

But do yourself and the rest of the world a favor, and rein in the abuse. If the toxic thoughts keep growing, they will choke out all the rest and you will be that crazy old guy who sits in his trike on his front lawn, waving his fist and shouting at imaginary clouds. Nobody wants that.
Old 08-26-22, 08:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

There are "crotchety old folk" who lie to themselves and others, yell at clouds, belittle other people over superficial matters, and stopped learning decades ago ....

You will be that crazy old guy who sits in his trike on his front lawn, waving his fist and shouting at imaginary clouds.
Ah, I just KNEW Rydabent seemed familiar, like I'd seen him before! This must be him:

Old 08-26-22, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
So, for those having trouble following the alleged conversation:

-mr. bill

Wanna know the fun part? That account, which Ryda confirms, never has the guy saying he didn't have a pump and a spare tube and/or patches.

So unless Ryda checked his pocket or is psychic, the whole thread is probably based on a completely false premise.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-22, 09:08 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I'm hereby initiating a naming contest for this DF design conspiracy. It should also use the phrase "big bicycle", and it would probably need to mention chamois cream as well. Bonus points for a Borg reference.
... the Big Bicycle Conflict Diamonds Conspiracy ? It's based on the fact that more and more bicycle production has shifted to China, and the mainland Chinese are using the DF bicycle as their export model as a way to subvert the West. Once there are enough people here with chronic postural issues and sore butts, we will eventually succumb, and the Chinese economic model will triumph. It's obvious that they are producing primarily recumbent bicycles for their own domestic use.
Old 08-26-22, 09:19 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I've written about riding with recumbents before. A friend who rode DF bikes for years including road racing and velodrome switched to a cf 'bent and eventually to an electric trike like the OP. He's always fun to ride with and will engage in the usual banter about 'bents vs uprights, but NEVER denigrates or insults or tries to convince us we are wrong. I haven't seen much of him since the pandemic messed with our club schedule but I look froward to it if I get the chance to ride with him again.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 09:24 AM
big john

Here is his friend on one of their e-trike dirt rides. This guy has also ridden a cf "bent on our road rides and never got evangelical about them. They will answer questions or explain their thinking but never deride df bikes.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 09:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
A man came up to me and said
"I'd like to change your mind
By hitting it with a rock, " he said,
"Though I am not unkind."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-22, 09:41 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
....I know I will regret asking you this, but in for a penny farthing, in for a pound. Why on earth do you suppose this is the case for everyone who rides a standard, diamond framed, bicycle ? Rider positioning is very adjustable on such a bike, using a combination of adjustments to reach, stem height, saddle tilt and positioning, etc, etc. I can be as forward leaning or as upright on a safety bicycle as I care to be. The only reason people adopt more forward leaning positions is a combination of aerodynamic adjustment, to reduce drag, and an attempt to better activate certain muscles in pedaling the things.

If I don't care about either of those, I can sit bolt upright, like I see a lot of the cruiser bike contingent doing as they pedal around the neighborhood.

Indeed, the Tweed Ride people here make it a point of pride to adjust their old Raleigh 3 speeds so they are sitting upright on them.

Half wheeling and no helmets! they could crash and DIE!
Old 08-26-22, 09:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

...I am looking forward to the inevitable thread, where rydabent and timtak finally meet, at high noon on the streets of Dodge City, and finally resolve the issue of ideal riding position.
"Prone."
"Suppine."
"Prone!"
"Suppine!"
"PRONE!"
"SUPPINE!"
"Watch this video! Then read my longwinded and remarkably data-free handwaving about how everyone else is wrong!"
"Read my constant harangues about how everyone else is wrong!"
"Wait, you also think everyone else is wrong? Maybe we have something in common!"
"NO! You're wrong, too!!!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-22, 09:46 AM
big john

Originally Posted by genejockey
"Prone."
"Suppine."
"Prone!"
"Suppine!"
"PRONE!"
"SUPPINE!"
"Watch this video! Then read my longwinded and remarkably data-free handwaving about how everyone else is wrong!"
"Read my constant harangues about how everyone else is wrong!"
"Wait, you also think everyone else is wrong? Maybe we have something in common!"
"NO! You're wrong, too!!!"
You forgot:
"butt pain"
"chest parachute"
"butt pain"
"chest parachute"
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 09:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
You forgot:
"butt pain"
"chest parachute"
"butt pain"
"chest parachute"
I snorked at that.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-22, 09:54 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I would rather walk than ride a recumbent...For me it's DF or nothing.
Old 08-26-22, 10:02 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Here is his friend on one of their e-trike dirt rides. This guy has also ridden a cf "bent on our road rides and never got evangelical about them. They will answer questions or explain their thinking but never deride df bikes.
Looks like the Dirt Mullholland area.
Old 08-26-22, 10:06 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
Looks like the Dirt Mullholland area.
Yep!
Old 08-26-22, 10:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would rather walk than ride a recumbent...For me it's DF or nothing.
Closed mind.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-26-22, 10:15 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Yep!
The dirt in those hills looks different than my 'hood - less grey, and finer grains.
Old 08-26-22, 10:21 AM
big john

The dirt in those hills looks different than my 'hood - less grey, and finer grains.
Lots of hard pack and a lot of it is good for gravel bikes. Have you ridden out to the Parker Mesa Overlook? You could fly on your hardtail.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 10:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Lots of hard pack and a lot of it is good for gravel bikes. Have you ridden out to the Parker Mesa Overlook? You could fly on your hardtail.
Not yet. I still have a lot more exploring to do in that area, but I only get there sporadically.
Old 08-26-22, 10:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Closed mind.
At least he's honest.
Old 08-26-22, 10:41 AM
big john

Not yet. I still have a lot more exploring to do in that area, but I only get there sporadically.
From Sullivan and dirt Mulholland it's probably about 10ish miles to the overlook. Lots of climbing both ways. I do it from the top of Reseda and it's an 18 mile round trip.

Here is a friend almost there.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-26-22, 11:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
From Sullivan and dirt Mulholland it's probably about 10ish miles to the overlook. Lots of climbing both ways. I do it from the top of Reseda and it's an 18 mile round trip.

Here is a friend almost there.
Dude .... he we are arguing about trikes and your friend rides two bikes at once! I might have to quit this sport ..... I will never make the grade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.