Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My first vintage "restoration" and it's a beaut: 1982 Fuji Royale II

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 07:47 PM
Da Kube

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 5 Posts

Greetings, riders. I spent a few years loosely looking for a decent (mid to upper level spec) Fuji to restore. I really had my heart set on an S-12 LTD or America but this 1982 Royale II popped up in my size in my dad's neighborhood. The only downside was there wasn't much to restore. The original owner took it for a spin, shelved it for a few decades and decided to break it out again. He added new rubber and didn't even break the hairs off the gumwalls this time, either. So I spent the summer riding this bike and shining things up. I also have been breaking down the components for a deep clean and servicing all the greasy balls and bits. This is my first vintage bike and I'm a novice mechanic when it comes to mountain biking, so I really just wanted to post this thread so a few can ogle at this sweet bike and also let people know it's really not too difficult for an average Joe A$$hat to achieve.

I'll note a few things that aren't stock, for those interested in that:

I swapped the MKS basket style pedals for MKS flats. I'm really not a fan of the cages. I like clipless on a modern road bike, but I wanted the look.

Dual pivot KoolStop brakes: I couldn't find the direct fit KoolStop pads for my Weidmann 610s so I opted for their crossbike pads that allow you to easily adjust how they hit the rim. I ride this bike and live in the hills, so stopping beat vintage there. They also are chrome and don't look too far off, save for the salmon skins.

The saddle: I kept the beautiful OEM Fujita seamless that bubbles up in the center but added a Brooks synthetic for comfort/looks.

Bar wrap: I went with grey (LizardSkin) padded wrap. The original is cloth, black. I love riding without gloves and the cloth doesn't cut it. That said, I wish I kept it black. Gum hoods for the brake levers are stock and on order. I also plan to lower the brake levers when I rewrap.

I think that's about it. I'll post a few photos of some of the inner workings from time to time and I can answer any questions anyone has. Thanks for reading!

Update, I guess I can't post pictures until I make 10 posts. Quick, someone ask me 9 easy questions!

Bike mid-way through the restoration. Not a lot of restoring got done on days that looked like this.

Gorgeous Sugino 170 cranks.

Fuji before the restore.

Last edited by Da Kube; 02-11-22 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-08-22, 07:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
You can download pictures to an album in the user control panel but cannot post them until 10 posts and limited to 5/day.
Once in your album others can look at them.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-08-22, 07:59 PM
Da Kube

Originally Posted by dedhed
You can download pictures to an album in the user control panel but cannot post them until 10 posts and limited to 5/day.
Once in your album others can look at them.
Thanks! I did make a 1982 Fuji Royale II album, if anyone is curious. Whew, that's post no. 3!
Old 02-08-22, 08:00 PM
Da Kube

Related to vintage Fujis, does anyone know when Fuji moved to the ISO standards for crown races? I thought they had by 1982, but another thread mentions finding the old JIS standard on an early 80s Fuji. Thanks!
Old 02-08-22, 08:12 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 816 Times in 451 Posts
Pict Assi

Originally Posted by Da Kube
Thanks! I did make a 1982 Fuji Royale II album, if anyone is curious. Whew, that's post no. 3!

Only turned up this Album, so far, of photographs "before the restore."
Old 02-08-22, 08:25 PM
Da Kube

Thanks bigly! The second image is the bike after a quick wipedown and the first is mid restore. I've done a lot of internal work since then but as you can see it was pretty well off. Paid $100.
Old 02-08-22, 08:37 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a good looking bike and a great first vintage restoration. Fuji Americas are hard to find. The S 12s pop up more often. Also keep an eye out for a Fuji Finest which is an older model than the America but has more or less the same frame geometry and similar tubing specs.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-08-22, 09:51 PM
cv350

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Nice find. The Royale II is certainly a worthy project and vintage Fuji’s are a great line up to work on. I also appreciate their touring bikes of the same era such as the Touring Series III, IV, and the elusive Series V.
Likes For cv350:
Old 02-09-22, 06:13 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
That's was a good deal on a super reliable, well made bike. I have a nice collection of Fujis, and have had many more over the years. Really good choice. This is my subtly upgraded Royale, which I love posting pictures of. The 2nd photo is another Royale that I used to have, which was too small for me. No, it didn't have a "growth spurt". Both are 1981 models in Anthracite gray, which was only available in '81.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 02-09-22, 07:12 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Nice bike. I am presently working on a Fuji Ace frameset that was gifted to me by a forum member. It has sort of become my experimental bike. I have had it set up in numerous ways since I have had it. I am not restoring it, the only thing that will be original is the bare frameset. I am refinishing it and going to build it back up with mustache bars and bar end shifters. I already had the mustache bars on it, but with down tube shift levers. The bike maxes out with true 32mm tires, which makes for a very comfortable ride, but still agile and quick enough. I am pretty sure it will no longer be an experimental bike, this time staying as it is finished. It is going to be an 8 or 9 speed triple, medium grey with black components that have a bit of silver mixed in, and a white and black saddle and bar tape. I am looking into getting decals that say something like: " Fuji Old School", maybe with something like " Home Built ". Or it may remain sans decals.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-09-22, 08:06 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
Welcome to the vintage Fuji fold. I bought a Fuji Royale in Orlando in 1980 when I was in the Navy. It was stolen while I was stationed in Norfolk, recovered, then stolen again while I was stationed in Alameda. I replaced it with a Miyata 310 that I still have. A couple years ago I got the bug to try to find a replacement for the Royale and found a S12-S LTD. It had a rattle-can repaint and homemade decals, so I felt no guilt in repainting with my own color choice. I tried to get close to how I remembered the dark blue of my Royale. It may not be exactly the same bike, but it is good enough to bring back the memories of forty years ago.

1981 Fuji S12-S LTD
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-09-22, 08:58 PM
Da Kube

Originally Posted by bikemig
That's a good looking bike and a great first vintage restoration. Fuji Americas are hard to find. The S 12s pop up more often. Also keep an eye out for a Fuji Finest which is an older model than the America but has more or less the same frame geometry and similar tubing specs.
Good to know. I have alerts set on Craigslist and Facebook and often check the area any time I travel. I'll keep an eye out for the Finest. They look great. I'd also like to grab something from the 70s, if possible.
Old 02-09-22, 09:03 PM
Da Kube

Does anyone happen to know the crown race spec on 1982 Fujis? I might just buy one JIS and ISO to be safe. I'm thinking Tange since it's at least a Japanese manufacturer (probably made elsewhere) and inexpensive.
Old 02-10-22, 07:03 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Nice bike! Not specifically on my “got to have” list but if I ever run across one, it would likely come home with me . Back in my college days (late ‘70s), Fugis & Motobecans (and maybe some Peugeots) were THE bikes on campus. Schwinns were for the “high school” crowd and the Italian stuff was too expensive for the “Midwest Country Folk” .
Likes For sovende:
Old 02-10-22, 07:10 PM
Da Kube

Originally Posted by sovende
Nice bike! Not specifically on my “got to have” list but if I ever run across one, it would likely come home with me . Back in my college days (late ‘70s), Fugis & Motobecans (and maybe some Peugeots) were THE bikes on campus. Schwinns were for the “high school” crowd and the Italian stuff was too expensive for the “Midwest Country Folk” .
I hear you. Fuji was my first choice but I was sorta priced out of any Bianchis. It seems hard to find any in decent shape that aren't already restored or expensive.

Couple more post and here come the photo bombs!
Old 02-11-22, 01:07 PM
Da Kube

What's everyone using for vintage looking bar wrap? I see Brooks makes some sweet looking stuff. The modern squishy, sweat reducing stuff doesn't look the part but it sure is nice. Adding some girth to those thin bars helps, too. <need to add two more words>
Old 02-11-22, 02:10 PM
cv350

Cotton bar wrap such as Newbaum’s or Tressostar come to mind. They are offered in a variety of colors, too.
Likes For cv350:
Old 02-11-22, 03:51 PM
Da Kube

Finally added some pics. Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-11-22, 09:12 PM
Da Kube

Restoration is complete. I swapped the old wheels for Panaracer protites and found some Dia Compe hoods that sorta fit (I think they make the new ones to fit the adjustable stops. I tried two hoods and none fit like the old. I had to move the stops inside the hoods to make it work. Really fun first restore!

Old 03-11-22, 10:30 PM
cv350

Wow. The result is really impressive.

I enjoy seeing these projects— thanks for sharing the build process.
Likes For cv350:
Old 03-12-22, 07:12 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 393 Posts
Really pretty and tasteful. The black accents complement the other colors nicely. It was nice for you to start on such a clean specimen, and you did it justice.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 03-12-22, 07:36 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
That is a very clean build and exemplifies what's great about this hobby. Big bucks and high level expertise not required, just a desire to tinker and make old things new again. Lovely work!
Likes For poprad:
Old 03-08-23, 05:44 PM
Rshaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, what size is it? Do you still ride it?
Old 03-08-23, 05:58 PM
Da Kube

Originally Posted by Rshaw
Hi, what size is it? Do you still ride it?
I do! Not a ton because I primarily ride mountain bikes and have another road bike. But I ride it more than the modern bike, honestly. It's comfortable and marginally slower than a new bike. I'm out to have fun and get stronger for the trails, so the extra weight is good. It's a 58 cm. I've seen a few others around for a fair price but none in this shape.
Old 03-08-23, 06:15 PM
Da Kube

I just logged back on and found all the kudos. Thanks all for the kind words. This project was super fun and I recommend it for any novice mechanics with time to learn. I did tear the brakes down to the bolts and springs in the offseason and restored them using magic eraser and buffing compound. They look primo. This spring I plan to do the same for the shifters. I won't touch the derailleurs since that seems like tempting fate. They look fairly close to showroom other than a bit of chain wear on the front derailleur cage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.