Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Big Guy on a Trek 7.5 fx, need suggestions for upgrades

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 01:00 PM
hsben

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a good deal on a used Trek 7.5 fx. Issue is that I'm 6'1" 340, and this bike seems like something that someone my weight shouldn't be riding. I figured at least that at some point under 300lbs it'd be safe(r) for me to ride.

So, should I keep scouring CL for used Treks/Giants for MTB/hybrids that would be better for someone like me? Or should I change the stock wheels/tires on this 7.5 to something that will hold my weight better? I'll mostly being doing trail riding around WI, and whatever streets would entail getting to them etc, so no crazy jumps or off-road stuff.

Feel free to let me know if you need more information, and thanks for any help. I've browsed this forum off and on looking for info prior to a purchase and decided to finally make and account once I actually got a bike.
Old 05-19-16, 01:26 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
The Trek 7.5FX will be safe to ride, but you might have issues with the wheels. Wheels are the biggest issue with heavier riders, so upgrading them to a well built high spoke pair would likely make the 7.5FX work for you.

Honestly though, I'd just ride the Trek and see how it goes. Just keep a close eye on the the wheels after rides and expect to see things like broken spokes and wheels coming out of true (wobble when you spin them).
Old 05-19-16, 01:29 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I would get some sturdy wheels made. At least 36 spokes front and back. You could just ride the stock wheels until they fail but it really is more a question of when rather than if.
Old 05-19-16, 01:35 PM
hsben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
The Trek 7.5FX will be safe to ride, but you might have issues with the wheels. Wheels are the biggest issue with heavier riders, so upgrading them to a well built high spoke pair would likely make the 7.5FX work for you.

Honestly though, I'd just ride the Trek and see how it goes. Just keep a close eye on the the wheels after rides and expect to see things like broken spokes and wheels coming out of true (wobble when you spin them).
Yea thats the part that scared me, the spoke count on these tires are low(compared to whats suggested in other posts here), and in a weird pattern. I've seen elsewhere people have had luck getting wider tires on the stock rim, but then i'd be on the same rim, so it doesn't solve much. Thanks!
Old 05-19-16, 01:36 PM
hsben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I would get some sturdy wheels made. At least 36 spokes front and back. You could just ride the stock wheels until they fail but it really is more a question of when rather than if.
How easy is getting something like this done? Shouldn't I be able to just purchase something online already or does it require going into a shop?
Old 05-19-16, 01:41 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by hsben
Yea thats the part that scared me, the spoke count on these tires are low(compared to whats suggested in other posts here), and in a weird pattern. I've seen elsewhere people have had luck getting wider tires on the stock rim, but then i'd be on the same rim, so it doesn't solve much. Thanks!
Fatter tires will only help with absorbing pot holes or running down curbs. At 340lbs you shouldn't be doing either!

How easy is getting something like this done? Shouldn't I be able to just purchase something online already or does it require going into a shop?
Your local bike shops should be able to build wheels, and you can talk to them about your needs. This route is not cheap though, I must warn you.

You can buy 36h wheelsets that are machine built online, and many (including myself) have had good luck with them. Something like this might fit the bill:

Velocity Chukker 29er Wheels Shimano Deore 36h M590 non-disc [66885] - $179.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

Note that the rear hub spacing is 135mm for those wheels, which I believe is what you need for the Trek. Road bikes have 130mm (non disc brake), and hybrids often use 135mm hubs. You can measure the distance between your rear dropouts to figure out what you really need. Reading this will help you understand this issue:

Bicycle Frame/Hub Spacing
Old 05-19-16, 01:48 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Yes, you can buy some cheap wheels online. But you still might need the help of your local bike shop.

How comfortable are you with truing your own wheels? Removing a cassette and cassette hub from the old wheel and moving it to the new wheel?
Old 05-19-16, 02:02 PM
dr_lha

Riding those stock wheels that came with the Trek will be a great way to learn how to true wheels yourself. Truing is not necessarily a required step for machine built wheels though, both sets I bought from Velomine did not require truing on purchase. One set required a minor true (like half a turn of one spoke nipple) after about 3000 miles.

But yes, to do the job of swapping a wheelset entirely yourself you would need purchase tools. A chain whip (e.g. Amazon.com : Park Tool SR-1 Sprocket Remover/Chain whip with Header : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors ), a cassette freehub tool (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Free...4658VZQP0GNY1X ) and a crescent wrench (or 1-inch socket) are the basics for removing/installing a cassette. You should already own tire levers needed to swap the tires and tubes.
Old 05-19-16, 02:18 PM
hsben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Riding those stock wheels that came with the Trek will be a great way to learn how to true wheels yourself. Truing is not necessarily a required step for machine built wheels though, both sets I bought from Velomine did not require truing on purchase. One set required a minor true (like half a turn of one spoke nipple) after about 3000 miles.

But yes, to do the job of swapping a wheelset entirely yourself you would need purchase tools. A chain whip (e.g. Amazon.com : Park Tool SR-1 Sprocket Remover/Chain whip with Header : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors ), a cassette freehub tool (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Free...4658VZQP0GNY1X ) and a crescent wrench (or 1-inch socket) are the basics for removing/installing a cassette. You should already own tire levers needed to swap the tires and tubes.
Originally Posted by MRT2
Yes, you can buy some cheap wheels online. But you still might need the help of your local bike shop.

How comfortable are you with truing your own wheels? Removing a cassette and cassette hub from the old wheel and moving it to the new wheel?
Ya I'm not afraid to do any of the mechanical work, especially with all the youtube vids out there to learn from. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 05-19-16, 02:20 PM
dr_lha

Ya I'm not afraid to do any of the mechanical work, especially with all the youtube vids out there to learn from. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!
It's good to learn to do this stuff yourself, but also don't be afraid to talk to your LBS. Wheel issues can be very frustrating.