Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I want a rigid SS, but it doesn't "make sense" for me......

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 05:14 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I'm currently riding a Giant Talon 27.5 4--an "entry level" hardtail, and am certainly having a blast and getting better with my skills. At 54 I'm new to mountain biking, just got really hooked this past winter. I live in LA and ride around the hills and mountains around La Canada/Pasadena--fire roads and pretty rocky singletrack, and lots of constant up and down (mostly UP it seems to me. I'm thinking about my next bike, and will have less than 2k to spend as dough is tight. Friends of mine suggest going full suspension for where I'm riding, and also for my age and old bones. Others suggest a better hardtail, as I'll get lots more for my money than with a full suspension at that price. Both suggestions certainly make sense in their own regard. However, what excites ME, is a rigid ss. It just speaks to me--the simplicity, the minimalism. The idea of something like a Kona Unit gets me going, far more than the idea of the other options.
I know I could ride it around here and have fun, but am I just a glutton for punishment? If I could try one out on my regular trails I would, but so far the opportunity hasn't presented itself. I think I'd have to go ahead and buy it to try it. And, I'm not much of mechanic or tinkerer as far as upgrades/mods (but I could learn I suppose..) Anyhow, is it a crazy idea for me to be considering?
Old 08-14-14, 06:07 PM
xuwol7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not at all, I work on all my bikes an my main commuter is a Rigid Peugeot SS MTB running a hub brake.
I have it geared very low (56 gear inches and I spin out at approx 22mph), and I ride with a high cadence.
Hills are a non issue and with a SS maintenance is very low and it is a blast to ride.
I have approx $400.00 in this bike which is complete with fenders and a rear rack.

PS. I play a 1962 Jazz Bass with all GK amps/speakers and was a studio musician in So Cal for years..
For me my SS commuter is simple and bullet proof like my Bass Rig....lol
Old 08-14-14, 06:18 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by xuwol7
Not at all, I work on all my bikes an my main commuter is a Rigid Peugeot SS MTB running a hub brake.
I have it geared very low (56 gear inches and I spin out at approx 22mph), and I ride with a high cadence.
Hills are a non issue and with a SS maintenance is very low and it is a blast to ride.
I have approx $400.00 in this bike which is complete with fenders and a rear rack.

PS. I play a 1962 Jazz Bass with all GK amps/speakers and was a studio musician in So Cal for years..
For me my SS commuter is simple and bullet proof like my Bass Rig....lol
Cool! As you can tell, I'm more a pbass guy, but I have a Jazz too.....and like you, I like it simple.

Gotta do some more research, but I bet it'd be super fun to ride, even if I end up walking more than I do now I don't know much about the tech stuff though--the gearing in particular--need to educate myself on that.
Old 08-14-14, 06:30 PM
xuwol7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the SS for commuting, I have a Rigid Peugeot Canyon Express MTB that I use for serious Mountain Biking.
You can learn a lot at Bike Forums, I know I have...

I do take my SS off road sometimes but a hub brake is not ideal for some of the off road single tracks.
This book is awesome if you are looking to do some serious Mountain Biking:

Amazon.com: Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - 2nd Edition eBook: Brian Lopes, Lee McCormack: Kindle Store

My single speed has had no problem at all on any hill as it is geared very low.
The steepest hill I ride here is about 1/2 mile long at a 13% grade on an old cobble stone road.
That is a good workout.....lol
Old 08-14-14, 07:04 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by xuwol7
I use the SS for commuting, I have a Rigid Peugeot Canyon Express MTB that I use for serious Mountain Biking.
You can learn a lot at Bike Forums, I know I have...

I do take my SS off road sometimes but a hub brake is not ideal for some of the off road single tracks.
This book is awesome if you are looking to do some serious Mountain Biking:

Amazon.com: Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - 2nd Edition eBook: Brian Lopes, Lee McCormack: Kindle Store

My single speed has had no problem at all on any hill as it is geared very low.
The steepest hill I ride here is about 1/2 mile long at a 13% grade on an old cobble stone road.
That is a good workout.....lol
I have that book--I love it. I also took a MTB skills class that CORBA offers out at Malibu Creek Park--maybe you rode there in your SoCal years.
Old 08-14-14, 11:10 PM
Canker

Liked 222 Times in 142 Posts
I ride with a lot of rigid SS guy and they are all much faster up hill than me on my geared bikes, they just ride a hell of a lot more than me. I did finally break down and get a rigid 29er but it is still geared for now.
Old 08-15-14, 07:47 AM
pbass

What do you guys think about 650B vs 29er in this case? I'm very comfortable w/my 27.5 Talon, but would the slightly bigger wheels be an advantage with the ss rigid? I'm not a big guy--about 5'7"--I chose the 27.5 at the time because the 29ers I tried felt a little big to me. But maybe those big wheels would help with only one gear and no suspension?
Old 08-15-14, 12:48 PM
skol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go 29" and bigger tires 2.3's or so run tubeless and low pressure, carbon fork and have fun. SS is really about the simplicity but you have to commit to it mentally as its all about momentum.
Old 08-15-14, 01:50 PM
Pendergast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking as someone in my 50's and having ridden a rigid 26er until recently, I'd want as much rollover benefit as I could get if I ever went back to rigid. I'm 5'7" and I'd still go with a 29er. I might even build up a Surly Krampus singlespeed if I decided go in that direction.

Last edited by Pendergast; 08-15-14 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-15-14, 02:25 PM
xuwol7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pbass, I didn't have a lot of spare time when I lived in Cali, I was married raising 3 kids, working full time and playing bass A LOT.
Now that my kids are grown and I am burnt out playing bass for so many years I am taking a break.
I work, sleep and ride....I love my life...lol

29" mtbs are the latest fad and I know many that like it.
I have rode them and they do seem to roll over things easier but I like the 26" as I feel I have more control and can "man handle" the bike better....lol.

I also have 3 Peugeot 26" mtbs' so I keep it simple with the tires and tubes etc.

A single speed 29er might be just the ticket for you...
Old 08-15-14, 02:44 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A single speed is fine as long as you're sensible about your knees. Meaning that if you can spin up a hill with the gear you've chosen then you either have to stand to pedal... or get off and push. That's the bottom line, really: single speed = more pushing.
Old 08-15-14, 02:52 PM
xuwol7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by meanwhile
A single speed is fine as long as you're sensible about your knees. Meaning that if you can spin up a hill with the gear you've chosen then you either have to stand to pedal... or get off and push. That's the bottom line, really: single speed = more pushing.
+1 on the knees, I gear my rigid ss mtb at 54 gear inches so I have had no problem with any hill.
( yes sometimes I stand but not a lot).
I spin at a high cadence and run out at approx 22mph on the flats.
I used to have it geared at 76 gear inches and my knees would sometimes hurt and I got tired of more pushing than riding..
Old 08-15-14, 02:59 PM
pbass

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I realize my riding experience will be quite different (i.e. more standing) but coincidentally (not to digress too much) I've been experimenting more with standing to climb and standing more in general, based on this guy's ideas: https://www.bikejames.com/
I've been doing some of his workouts. Previously I've been a sit and climb guy, but I dunno, I think this guy has something here--I'm really liking what standing more is doing for my rides, so, what the heck, maybe I'm destined for a ss anyway!
As for wheel size, I've seen some rigid ss 650Bs starting to pop up, and as I say I like my current 650B, but I think I should strongly consider a 29 as ya'll are suggesting...
Old 08-15-14, 03:00 PM
skol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^hills are where good SS riders attack while geared riders sit and spin. If your not standing a lot while on SS you aren't geared high enough ..or enjoy spinning like crazy on the flats. Some have bad knees no matter what they do or ride

Last edited by skol; 08-15-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-15-14, 03:05 PM
Canker

Liked 222 Times in 142 Posts
Mine is a Surly Karate Monky steel frame and fork. I bough it used with a 2.1 front tire and what really made me to start liking rigid riding was putting a 2.4 maxxis ardent on the front. That tire rocks.
Old 08-15-14, 03:06 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by skol
^^hills are where good SS riders attack while geared riders sit and spin
I've been playing around with staying in one gear as much as I can on some of my regular trails, and leaving it in that tougher gear when I get to the climbs to try and simulate a ss experience. I just don't know enough about gearing to really know what gear ratio I'm at!
Old 08-15-14, 03:17 PM
skol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I've been playing around with staying in one gear as much as I can on some of my regular trails, and leaving it in that tougher gear when I get to the climbs to try and simulate a ss experience. I just don't know enough about gearing to really know what gear ratio I'm at!
this is a good site to calculate gear inches etc. Bicycle gear inch calculator.
Old 08-15-14, 03:22 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by skol
this is a good site to calculate gear inches etc. Bicycle gear inch calculator.
Very cool--thanks
Old 08-15-14, 07:03 PM
pbass

Just popped into one of my LBSs, and I test rode a 2014 Specialized Crave SL. I loved it. Will have to try some others out, but I think I'm convinced about a ss now! Just street riding of course on the test, but did take it up a steep little hill a few times. What a fun bike, and SUPER light.
Old 09-18-14, 10:24 PM
4psi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a cheap bikesdirect single speed full ridged 29er on the trails here in Oklahoma. I like my bike and I have been as hard on it as it is on me, and we are both still functioning properly. I think.

Sometimes I wonder if I am doing myself a disfavor by not having gears, or any suspension. Maybe I could ride longer, further, or faster with squishy bike? I dont know, but I can't help but wonder.

I have trained myself to get around pretty decent on my bike. I never even thought about my techniques until I read this thread. I do stand to power up the hills, or if I am hauling ass down a hill. I let my arms and legs act as suspension so to speak. Elbows and knees bent, head slightly lowered. I make it a point to carry my momentum into corners. You HAVE to make it a point to keep your momentum on these things, you will be so slow around the trails if you don't. It is pain in the ass to scrub off all of your speed going into a turn, and then have to get back on the pedals to climb up a hill with out the ability to drop it down a gear or two.

I don't know anything else other than my single speed full ridged 29er. If I am I riding the worst bike in the world, I literally don't know any better. I have only been on one other MTB on the trails and it was my friends full suspension Giant with 26inch wheels. When I hit the sugar sand on that Giant and the bike started bouncing up and down with every down stroke I wanted to get off the bike, walk it to my truck, then take it to my shop and disassemble it with my blow torch.

I found this thread using the search function. I wanted to make a SS Full ridged VS the world thread, and I still might. I want a new bike, and I don't know what I want yet.

-Charlie
Old 11-06-14, 04:08 PM
pbass

Well, I did it - just put a 2014 Kona Unit on layaway. Will pick it up soon. VERY stoked. I test rode it and it just spoke to me. Money is tight so it'll be stock for a while(save for putting my VP gripster pedals on it), and the shop said they'd swap me in some nicer grips no charge. The only other SS rigid I tried was the Specialized Crave SL, and it was seriously cool (and light), but the Unit just felt like a better fit/geometry for me, and comes in at a way better price for my budget (they wanted to move the 2014). Plus, aesthetically I love the look and vibe of the Unit more- simple and classic. And, I thought it was time I see if "steel is real"

Last edited by pbass; 11-06-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 03:01 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Well, I did it - just put a 2014 Kona Unit on layaway. Will pick it up soon. VERY stoked. I test rode it and it just spoke to me. Money is tight so it'll be stock for a while(save for putting my VP gripster pedals on it), and the shop said they'd swap me in some nicer grips no charge. The only other SS rigid I tried was the Specialized Crave SL, and it was seriously cool (and light), but the Unit just felt like a better fit/geometry for me, and comes in at a way better price for my budget (they wanted to move the 2014). Plus, aesthetically I love the look and vibe of the Unit more- simple and classic. And, I thought it was time I see if "steel is real"
nice one op, have fun with it! i was so excited at getting a singlespeed a few years ago, i made up a Pastey Howler 853 frame but unfortunately i had trouble with my knees. i have a bit more weight on than most but its something i'd like to do again particularly when the weight comes down

edit: steel is most definitely real!!
Old 11-08-14, 04:27 PM
pbass

Thanks. Can't wait to go pick 'er up and get out there. My only reservation really is the gearing. Several of my regular rides have pretty significant climbs right at the get-go(but then once at the top it's extended fun rolling stuff). We'll see how 32x18 works out - I'm not that strong! Almost contemplating having the shop set it up 32x20 straight away....
Old 11-09-14, 01:15 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I started on a 29er HT three and a half years ago, I made it a 1X9 to make me ride smarter, no bailout granny gear.
I learned alot, got my skills up and all that never having a full squish.
Having to stand up was fine for the first ten miles of a hard ride but on longer rides the bike would smack me hard if I was a little late coming up.

Then I upgraded my HT Scott 29er to the Scott Spark 760 27.5 full squish.
The bike was faster in turns and quicker in tight spots, Strava said I was faster everywhere from the first ride.
The thing Is I could ride longer,
The smaller wheels were stronger and alot lighter.
This bike was faster in EVERY place/situation people told me the 29er was faster.
From a stop the bike got up to speed with so little effort compared to the 29er I felt like I was on a 25 pound bike.
Both bikes weighed the same btw.
Deep Sand,
Down hill,
Seated or Standing climbs,
Switch backs,
Steep drops,
on roots,,,,,, everywhere I was faster and used less energy.

Good by 29er

I'm also keeping all three of my chain rings and other than pedals and my old saddle this full squish is staying box stock.

I want a full suspension Fat bike next, The Bucksaw 2 will do me just right.
Bucksaw | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

So Go on and get yourself a single speed ridged and ride the crap outta that bike !

OP I'm 55, everything makes sense to me, don't fret, you will be buying more bikes,
You'll get this In a few more years,,, maybe sooner if you,,,,

contemplate this on the, 'Tree Of Woe'

Last edited by osco53; 11-09-14 at 01:19 PM.