Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Loudest bike bell below $15CAD/$10USD

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Loudest bike bell below $15CAD/$10USD

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 06:03 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
A Concord horn will get peoples attention. It does look strange on a carbon wonderbike though😀

https://www.northstarbicycle.ca/prod...RoCpO8QAvD_BwE

Or a Hornster

https://newatlas.com/hornster-worlds...le-horn/22457/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...aking-off.html
Old 01-16-22, 06:11 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
I can shout “Hey!”, or whatever else is appropriate, louder than any bell.
Old 01-17-22, 09:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
If the Spurcycle was priced reasnably, I would buy it. There's no way the cost should be more than $20 or so. It's simply an overpriced boutique item - the Gucci bag marketing model at work: charge a lot more and empty-headed, status-conscious people will want it.
And, there's nothing very unique about that design either.

Please report on how you like your Spurcycle bell and why it is worth the price.
I got one as a present and like it. Like many products, it's something that I wouldn't buy but would enjoy as a present.
It's in part why Yeti got big- $40 tumbler cups are dumb, but are constantly given as name brand expensive presents.

I got a ParkTool pizza cutter a couple weeks ago as a present. I would never buy that for myself as the benefit isn't there based on cost, but will accept it as a present.
Old 01-17-22, 11:17 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by zijin_cheng
Looking for recommendations on bike bells below $15CAD/$10USD. I heard a spurcycle and fell in love but $50 ($80CAD)??? Really???
So now I'm just looking for any bike bells that you know of that aren't super soft for the low low price of $15CAD/$10USD
EDIT: To be clear I'm not looking for a loud bike bell and being cheap about it, I'm looking for the loudest one amongst the multitude of $10 bells.
FYI
I also did a bell search a few months back - thinking it might be better than having to 'vocalize' whenever passing someone on the MUP... (bells don;t mean anything out in city/street traffic - at least not out here in SoCal.)
Got a small assortment... all loud enough for the MUP.
but - in Europe, when you bell ring and pass, most know to just stay to their path and progress and the bicycle will pass without incident.
Here in SoCal/USA - Most Everyone decides they need to look back or suddenly veer directly into your path, when they hear a bell.. If on a bike, they look back and in doing so, veer into your passing path...
Bells are still on the bikes - but never used... LOL!
Found it best to vocalize and let them know I'm passing and on which side - still get many who don;t know which their 'left' or 'right' is... LOL!
Occasionally, they might also need STRONG vocal encourgement to reduce their entitlement of the entire MUP....
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 01-17-22, 01:02 PM
urbanCyC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The loudest cheap Bell I know is a 40mm noname Brass Bell. It looks like a Crane Mini Suzu, but ist far louder, but hard to find, Sometimes on Amazon or AliExpress.

Last edited by urbanCyC; 01-17-22 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-17-22, 01:31 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I recently bought a Tooc for $9.00 as an alternative to the bottled air of my AirZound. Although the Tooc is rated at 120db, lacking a bell end it sounds less loud. It does have alternative sounds more useful around pedestrians. Smaller footprint on my bike, longer lasting on a charge, and doesn't suffer in cold weather. Still depends on electricity. Time will tell if I go back to my AirZound or not.
Old 01-17-22, 02:53 PM
urbanCyC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My solution for a cheap but fairly loud bike bell (not horn) looks currently like this:
You can download the file for printing it on thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5197246

Old 01-17-22, 03:25 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
in Europe, when you bell ring and pass, most know to just stay to their path and progress and the bicycle will pass without incident.
Here in SoCal/USA - Most Everyone decides they need to look back or suddenly veer directly into your path, when they hear a bell.. If on a bike, they look back and in doing so, veer into your passing path...
Bells are still on the bikes - but never used... LOL!
Found it best to vocalize and let them know I'm passing and on which side - still get many who don;t know which their 'left' or 'right' is... LOL!
Occasionally, they might also need STRONG vocal encourgement to reduce their entitlement of the entire MUP....
Ride On
Yuri
Our trails have been around well over 30 years and the majority of trail users know how to share and what a bell means. My approach, which is both safe and appreciated is to first use a bell several times from when I get within good audibility range. Most pedestrians will make a signal to acknowledge the bell. If I don’t get a signal, as I get near to pass, I call out “bicycle passing on your left”.

Most people here seem to appreciate the warning bell from a distance that gives more time to react. And I can usually tell the groups or individuals who aren’t regulars and I pretty much prepare for having to stop as I approach and pass, assuming they will be moving less predictably or perhaps slowly.

Otto
Old 01-19-22, 02:22 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I can yell louder than any bike bell and it is far more effective than a little tinkle, tinkle, tinkle. My voice cuts through when people are busy talking and oblivious to everything around them.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 01-20-22, 09:24 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I can yell louder than any bike bell and it is far more effective than a little tinkle, tinkle, tinkle. My voice cuts through when people are busy talking and oblivious to everything around them.
I did this for years. I found it moderately effective until I got to an area frequented by international tourists who obviously didn't speak english. To them I was just a crazy cyclist yelling gibberish at everyone. Not to mention the great number of people who don't understand what "passing on your left" means. And for me, yelling at random people to move kills my whole vibe when out on a relaxing bike ride.

The bell is far superior in my opinion. Definitely more effective at getting people's attention well before I get close to them.

I prefer the Spurcycle bell, buy once cry once. Money well spent for me.
Old 01-20-22, 01:19 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have found the Crane to be the best as the video validates. It is loud enough, right frequency, and long duration. When I commuted, the bell was used for the MUP and the Hornit for cars. The Hornet gives a choice of 140 dB or 100. It works. I had a driver give me the middle finger as he cut in front of me from a side street with a stop sign, he didn't pay attention to.
P1000036 on Flickr
P1020528 on Flickr
Old 01-20-22, 03:50 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Not to mention the great number of people who don't understand what "passing on your left" means. And for me, yelling at random people to move kills my whole vibe when out on a relaxing bike ride.

The bell is far superior in my opinion. Definitely more effective at getting people's attention well before I get close to them.

I prefer the Spurcycle bell, buy once cry once. Money well spent for me.
When I did a lot more running than bicycling I found "passing on your left" had a lot of people moving to their left. Switched to a cheery & hearty "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon" with enough time for them to react and for me to adjust my course based on which way they chose. It's worked much better.

I do have a Mirrycle Incredibell and it's okay, but I still feel a solid Good Afternoon works better.

I imagine different people in different environments likely encounter different results.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 01-22-22, 11:18 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Love the Crane Susu