Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I saw a nasty crash recently

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I saw a nasty crash recently

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-22, 02:55 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
A few years ago I was on a group ride, there was a multiple bike pile up, fortunately I was not involved. It seemed to happen in slow motion (although it only took a few seconds) and can’t get the sound out of my mind.
Old 10-24-22, 09:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I do get good-natured ribbing when I walk my mountain bike down sudden dropoffs or very steep eroded technical singletrack. My response to the razzers: "My bike may have suspension, but I don't bounce anymore." That usually gets a wave and good reply. And, regrettably, it's true.
You reminded me when I started doing more walk downs with my MTB because I definitely didn’t want to bounce. Before it was banzai! But after 15 years, it became - uh don’t want to risk it. Pretty much gave MTB this year since my back hurts for days after every ride unless I see the chiropractor to get popped back into alignment. Not worth it, not to mention two friends of mine getting severely injured.

Moral to the story: So it’s ok to walk down steep hills.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-26-22, 04:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The worst one was a car flying thru the air and landing no more than 10 feet in front of me.
That's not something you see every day
Old 10-26-22, 04:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You reminded me when I started doing more walk downs with my MTB because I definitely didn’t want to bounce. Before it was banzai! But after 15 years, it became - uh don’t want to risk it. Pretty much gave MTB this year since my back hurts for days after every ride unless I see the chiropractor to get popped back into alignment. Not worth it, not to mention two friends of mine getting severely injured.

I've toned down my mtb riding over the last few years (basically when I turned 50). Sold my long-travel Enduro bike and replaced it with a shorter travel trail bike, which I actually find more fun to ride. I still ride fairly techy trails, but nothing with big-air or sketchy drop-offs. Touch wood I haven't crashed since and still enjoy a good off-road mtb ride. I just choose trails with more flow and less rocks!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-26-22, 10:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've toned down my mtb riding over the last few years (basically when I turned 50). Sold my long-travel Enduro bike and replaced it with a shorter travel trail bike, which I actually find more fun to ride. I still ride fairly techy trails, but nothing with big-air or sketchy drop-offs. Touch wood I haven't crashed since and still enjoy a good off-road mtb ride. I just choose trails with more flow and less rocks!
you just reminded me, that we have a well built very flowy mtb park nearby which provides a good workout with out the bumps and jumps unless I so choose. I usually forget about it since it’s use primarily by beginners and intermediates and a handful of people that go off insane jumps which keeps are local ER busy. Will need to put some more sealant in the tires and head up.

Old 10-26-22, 03:32 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
That's not something you see every day
Not every day, but often enough.....
Old 10-26-22, 03:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I fell off of my enduro bike when I was 66. I was rounding a turn and the front wheel slipped off of a little lip and dropped into a hole and the bike stopped immediately. I didn't even take my hand off the bar. Now when I'm riding and something sketchy comes up I remember what that felt like 2 years ago. A short travel bike would handle the stuff I do now but the enduro has saved me from mistakes more than once.
Old 10-26-22, 04:09 PM
big john

My back usually hurts more after a long road ride than a mountain bike ride. Sometimes when I feel sore from a road ride I will ride the mtb the next day because it's so much easier on my body.
All of the serious injuries to friends have occurred on road bikes. Also, to me.
Old 10-26-22, 08:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by big john
My back usually hurts more after a long road ride than a mountain bike ride. Sometimes when I feel sore from a road ride I will ride the mtb the next day because it's so much easier on my body.
All of the serious injuries to friends have occurred on road bikes. Also, to me.
An alternate universe for sure. One thing never works for everyone. Don’t know how your MTB, but I typically go down steep technical single track full of rocks, boulders, and over fallen trees. It’s very jarring even with full suspension. You may have a much set up bike than mine. Am glad to hear your MTB helps you iron out the kinks.

PS just finished three hours ago a 30 mile road ride and my shoulders ache so much I took Ibuprofen.

Old 10-26-22, 09:30 PM
big john

An alternate universe for sure. One thing never works for everyone. Don’t know how your MTB, but I typically go down steep technical single track full of rocks, boulders, and over fallen trees. It’s very jarring even with full suspension. You may have a much set up bike than mine. Am glad to hear your MTB helps you iron out the kinks.

PS just finished three hours ago a 30 mile road ride and my shoulders ache so much I took Ibuprofen.
I don't do as much technical stuff as I used to. I rode dirt bikes every weekend for 10 years and I've had 5 mountain bikes, the last 3 full suspension. The one I have now has 150mm rear with a 160mm Fox 36.
Old 10-28-22, 02:30 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
And nobody stopped to see if he was ok?
Old 10-28-22, 04:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Pratt
Typically in racing, the riders do not stop, just like in car racing. I know it sounds heartless but at bigger races there is usually medical staff.

Old 10-29-22, 08:48 PM
Airfehr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
I bounced hard today on mt MTB today. Shoulder, ribs and hip are not happy. Helmet did it's job so I get to pick out a new one. This kind of stupid hurts with every breath.
Old 10-29-22, 09:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Airfehr
I bounced hard today on mt MTB today. Shoulder, ribs and hip are not happy. Helmet did it's job so I get to pick out a new one. This kind of stupid hurts with every breath.
Glad it wasn’t worse. MTBing definitely has its risks. I have an expression that works for most bad decisions, “Paying the stupid tax”. I have paid a lot of these taxes. Heal quickly and get back at it.

Old 10-30-22, 08:59 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,591 Times in 739 Posts
While MTBing I hit an upturned tree root at about 15 MPH on a fast downhill.
Amazing how fast it happens at that "moderate" speed. My front tire flatted on a turn this week at around the same speed and I was down instantaneously. I got a bit of road rash, shredded kit and some amusement reading the Shaved Legs topic.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 10-30-22 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-30-22, 09:17 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon

Anyone else have a good crash story?
Well actually, yes.

Some years ago, a friend and I were regular attendees of the Critical Mass ride here in Atlanta. Much of the time the (most common) leader of the ride, Angel, would utilize and show off the various PATH, Beltline, and other ABC bikeways that have been improving around town. We had ridden all the way to the Northside of Atlanta (from Woodruff Park), I cannot recall if it was the "400 trail" or one of the greenways. Buddy and I are talking, the pack is moving at a pretty good clip along the otherwise deserted bike path. We come to the crest of a hill, and everyone is suddenly stopped. For those of us paying attention to ahead of us, no issues. My buddy gets distracted easily in a "look! squirrel!" kind of way and at the last possible moment before colliding with someone he swerves and grabs a big handful of brakes. Over the bars he flies, lands and rolls out of it, comes up in a standing position right next to the reason for the stop. One of the other riders popped a tube. He was standing next to them, had to pick his bike up anyway...and grabs them a fresh tube out of the rack pack. Underway again moments later since about 10 people then jumped off to "pit stop repair" and everyone nearby had a funny story to tell.
Old 10-30-22, 09:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Typically in racing, the riders do not stop, just like in car racing. I know it sounds heartless but at bigger races there is usually medical staff.
Maybe in certain racing genres...But that's not been my experience in gravel racing.
Old 10-30-22, 10:53 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Referring to the incident in my original post? No, it was not necessary. There were spectators nearby, and medical professionals as well. There would be no point in other racers stopping, unless one of them happened to be a close friend or something. Come to think of it, perhaps a friend did stop for him. I just kept racing.