Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Passing

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 11:08 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I say "Passing on your left!" so it's more of a complete, informative sentence than most things that get barked at pedestrians.
My experience on our crowded MUT to the beach is not to say "Passing on your left" as they always misunderstand and move left, which is exactly what I dont want, Now I just shout out loudly "Passing" and watch to see how they react.
Old 03-28-22, 11:12 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
us.
Uggh. Riding against traffic, even on the shoulder, seems like a very bad idea. I know it's illegal in my state.
(or perhaps the OP misdescribed the scenario? Not seeing how overtaking someone on their right puts you closer to traffic in a RHD country unless riding against traffic)

This guy was kind of right in the middle of the shoulder. Not really a big deal but passing him on his right put me right at the edge of the travel lane of a highway with 70mph traffic. I generally try to announce myself and say something like "passing" just so the person knows I'm back there.
Old 03-28-22, 11:15 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Uggh. Riding against traffic, even on the shoulder, seems like a very bad idea. I know it's illegal in my state.
(or perhaps the OP misdescribed the scenario? Not seeing how overtaking someone on their right puts you closer to traffic in a RHD country unless riding against traffic)
The original post doesn't make too much sense (any way you cut it).
Old 03-28-22, 11:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My experience on our crowded MUT to the beach is not to say "Passing on your left" as they always misunderstand and move left, which is exactly what I dont want, Now I just shout out loudly "Passing" and watch to see how they react.
It usually works for me, but maybe pedestrians are dumb in different ways, depending on the location.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-28-22, 12:13 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
If I have room to take the lane I might just pass. If there isn't a lot of room I throw out an "on your left".

Sometimes I say hi, sometimes I don't. Lot's of people I pass have ear buds in and I'm wasting my breath.
Old 03-28-22, 12:42 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
It depends on the rider I'm coming up behind. I always yell out if they're kids because children are unpredictable. But If I can safely swing out and around another bicyclest by riding out into the other lane without issue, I do. But usually I yell "On your Left!" and wait for them to acknowledge me, usually they just move over to their right without saying anything. Then I'll give them a low five as I go by. Unfortunately, sometimes yelling out startles riders and they'll swerve unexpectedly. One time I came up behind someone and was clear over in the far lane from them when they decided to do a 'U' turn and turned right in front of me without checking over their shoulder for traffic; vehicular or biker. Still don't know how I missed her.
That almost happened to me on my first triathlon. I was coming up on this yahoo going up hill. I think he was talking to someone on the way back from the turn around point (we were still a couple miles away) and all of a sudden he began to turn right in front of me. It was an active road and I had to swerve out into a travel lane to avoid him. Fortunate no cars were coming at the time. Scared me poopless.
Originally Posted by Bmach
What country are you in? In the US passing on a riders right would put on next to the curb and I would never pass a rider on the right. I always call out passing on your left, this works for me. I have never had a rider move to the left, ever.
Guess I wasn't clear. Sorry about that. We were both riding with traffic (as we should have been). I passed his left, my right.
Originally Posted by big john
I thought about that but the username seems to reference Las Vegas and all the speed references are in MPH.
Indeed.
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Yep, it is a bit confusing and would be helpful for VegasJen to add an approx location to their profile.
Approximately, Las Vegas.
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The original post doesn't make too much sense (any way you cut it).
Sorry. I'll try to be more clear next time.
Old 03-28-22, 05:40 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Wind?
Old 03-28-22, 06:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
In my experience, there is a significant fraction of MUP walkers who will go so far as to not just MOVE left, but actually PIVOT TO the left so they're facing you. Between the left movers and the left pivoters, it led me to stop trying to warn them verbally, and just employ a bell. That worked on nearly everyone. NEARLY. I was rolling up on a runner in the middle of the MUP lane, so I pinged him from a good distance. He didn't adjust. I pinged again. No change. Finally as I closed, and of course braked, I pinged the bell repeatedly.

He shouted "Say Left or Right!"

What the flaming heck? Who passes on the RIGHT? This is 'Murrika, ferchrissakes!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-28-22, 08:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
In my experience, there is a significant fraction of MUP walkers who will go so far as to not just MOVE left, but actually PIVOT TO the left so they're facing you. Between the left movers and the left pivoters, it led me to stop trying to warn them verbally, and just employ a bell. That worked on nearly everyone. NEARLY. I was rolling up on a runner in the middle of the MUP lane, so I pinged him from a good distance. He didn't adjust. I pinged again. No change. Finally as I closed, and of course braked, I pinged the bell repeatedly.

He shouted "Say Left or Right!"

What the flaming heck? Who passes on the RIGHT? This is 'Murrika, ferchrissakes!
I find bells somewhat useless as they are not loud enough to be heard by folks wearing ear buds, which is most runners it seems. Thus I prefer screaming.

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-28-22 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-28-22, 08:27 PM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Dial it up tp 400 watts and drope him.
Likes For mihlbach:
Old 03-28-22, 08:50 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
That almost happened to me on my first triathlon. I was coming up on this yahoo going up hill. I think he was talking to someone on the way back from the turn around point (we were still a couple miles away) and all of a sudden he began to turn right in front of me. It was an active road and I had to swerve out into a travel lane to avoid him. Fortunate no cars were coming at the time. Scared me poopless.

Guess I wasn't clear. Sorry about that. We were both riding with traffic (as we should have been). I passed his left, my right.

Indeed.

Approximately, Las Vegas.

You seemed quite clear to me, Vegas haha
Old 03-28-22, 09:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I generally go with a "Good morning/afternoon/evening" a second before pulling up beside them, just to avoid startling them while still alerting them to my presence in case they were about to shift lanes or turn or something.
Old 03-28-22, 09:21 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by SpedFast
You seemed quite clear to me, Vegas haha
Thanks for getting it, but I understand the confusion. I fumbled with my wording for a while constructing that post.
Old 03-28-22, 09:28 PM
AudioSQ

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
They usually hear my music and glance over their shoulder as I approach. My favorite is when they start singing along. I'll also shout out a "on your left", "howdy", "morning", or "hidey ho", as I go by.
Old 03-28-22, 09:30 PM
VegasJen

They hear your music? Do you have a boom box or something?
Old 03-28-22, 09:33 PM
AudioSQ

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
They hear your music? Do you have a boom box or something?
I have a bluetooth speaker in one of the water bottle cages.
Old 03-28-22, 09:37 PM
VegasJen

Interesting. I avoid stuff like that only because I can't afford a bunch of cool, expensive toys. I'm always thinking about replacement costs if I wipe out and have to replace something. My little MP3 player costs all of $30. That's about all I can afford to throw away.
Old 03-28-22, 09:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
‘Passing on your left’ if I can’t swing wide around them.

Old 03-29-22, 03:41 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Recently blurted out, "Oh my gawd!" while passing a squirrely rider. It got them to giraffe neck back quickly. Then they had that look of, "omg, why would someone say that?" on there face.

Effective.... It's as if I used a profanity or something.
Old 03-29-22, 07:34 AM
njkayaker

I find bells somewhat useless as they are not loud enough to be heard by folks wearing ear buds, which is most runners it seems. Thus I prefer screaming.
Having a bell doesn't precluding screaming.

Hopefully, you aren't always screaming.
Old 03-29-22, 08:39 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
"ON YOUR LEFT" for bikes and walkers who I often get a "thank you" from.
Old 03-29-22, 09:22 AM
njkayaker

The point I was trying to get across is that your question really doesn't make too much sense.

If you come up on a slower cyclist, do you alert them before you pass? Just curious.

Out on the main highway, the shoulder is a designated bike lane but I live in a small town and there are only a few of us who ride seriously. I'm not involved in any groups so it's unusual to come across another rider at the same time. But yesterday I was out on one of my longer rides and about 6-7 miles outside of town I came up behind a gentleman going a little slower than I was. Since we don't often run into other riders, a lot of times we get kind of comfortable with taking whatever space we want. This guy was kind of right in the middle of the shoulder. Not really a big deal but passing him on his right put me right at the edge of the travel lane of a highway with 70mph traffic. I generally try to announce myself and say something like "passing" just so the person knows I'm back there.

Do any of you do similar? What do you say?
In the situation you describe, I don't see why you (or anybody) would do anything other than make some sort of announcement when passing.

It probably doesn't matter too much what you say. The primary thing you are doing is letting the person know you are there and are intending to pass. Keep in mind that you might need to announce twice (people might hear you but not get what you are saying the first time).

(I generally flush after I go. Do any of you do similar?)

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-29-22 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-29-22, 12:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Interesting. I avoid stuff like that only because I can't afford a bunch of cool, expensive toys. I'm always thinking about replacement costs if I wipe out and have to replace something. My little MP3 player costs all of $30. That's about all I can afford to throw away.
Don't you have two road bikes?! No matter, just promise that if you use earbuds with your MP3 player, you keep the left one out so you can hear should there come a time someone has to announce that they're passing you.
Old 03-29-22, 04:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Bell works best
Bells can rarely be heard. Only on the quietest bike paths, and even then are hard to hear. But never with any car traffic around.
Old 03-29-22, 05:23 PM
toto34

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only alert other experienced cyclists because they don't get passed often . The casuals or other types get spooked, so I just gently pass beside them and share a hello as I go by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.