Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

[Wheelchair] Disk brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 01:13 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Question [Wheelchair] Disk brakes?

Hello,

I know nothing about wheelchairs and am looking for infos on how to use this contraption that hooks up a plain bike to a wheelchair. In this particular case, the chair would only be used for that purpose, and remain permanently attached to the bike.

Its maker demands setting up two rear brakes on the bike. In addition or as an alternative, I googled for "wheelchairs disk brakes".

Do you know if those brakes can be installed on any wheelchair, and if they can be operated by the cyclist using either one* or two** handlebar-mounted brake levers?

Thank you.

* like on a cargo trike, eg. Tektro's Auriga.Twin hydraulic brakes
** one for each disk, in which case the bike would be equiped with a single rear brake: Gear hub + coaster brake

Old 07-20-23, 04:12 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
I'm just some rando on the Internet, but I'm pretty sure that if twin discs are fitted (genius idea btw) to the wheelchair, that an additional rear brake is not necessary on the bicycle driver. If it were me, I would operate both 'front' brakes with a 2 brake (caliper) to one lever adapter, and operate the rear brake conventionally.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 07-20-23 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 05:03 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Yes, I did mention twin brakes (Tektro's Auriga Twin). I'm interested in knowing what options are out there to stick disk brakes on a wheelchair.

The makers of that device just aren't aware that disk brakes can be fit on a wheelchair, hence their recommendation to install two rear brakes.
Old 07-20-23, 06:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Tadpole trikes (like Terra Trikes) have disc brakes and cantilever hubs. So it’s possible. I think some older ones had roller brakes. They have an independent brake on each front wheel, and no brakes on the rear. Based on my experience riding one the disks rub a bit when you’re in a turn due to the flex but it’s a perception and not a problem.

there is a lot to know about frame standards and fixturing for disc brakes and I’m sure half of it goes out the window when you start making some thing that isn’t a bicycle but it’s not impossible

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-20-23 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 10:51 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Yes, I did mention twin brakes (Tektro's Auriga Twin). I'm interested in knowing what options are out there to stick disk brakes on a wheelchair.

The makers of that device just aren't aware that disk brakes can be fit on a wheelchair, hence their recommendation to install two rear brakes.
<confused> the lead page you linked had several disc brake solutions for wheelchairs including a few that were 'wireless'. I didn't look closely to see whether the OEM wheel needed replacement or not but I got the impression that some just bolted to the existing hub. What am I missing. Maybe you are stuck on using your Tecktro brakes and maybe that's a fail because you may be forced to use the brakes that are incorporated into the solution product that you end up using. Look for wheelchair disc brakes and you will find some. Look for disc brakes for wheelchairs and you may not find them.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 07-20-23 at 10:58 PM.