Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Tech Docs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano Tech Docs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 07:26 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Shimano Tech Docs

Maybe my googlefu has failed, but it seems the Shimano has mucked up their tech docs area and, where you could
find the DM SM Exploded Views etc for time out of mind bicycle products and the latest and greatest 'easily'
that is no longer the case IME.
Specifically was looking for cable routing of the 105 RD 7000 series and only 5800/6800 were shown.
Likes For sch:
Old 08-04-23, 07:37 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Here ya go. DM-RARD001-04-ENG.pdf (shimano.com) I hate the newer Shimano site too. As many times as I've used it, I still haven't mastered the process of finding the answers without a bunch of wrong turns.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-04-23, 08:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I agree that Shimano has messed up their tech doc site. It's harder to find stuff if you don't know exactly what you want. And the search results come up in such a large font that you only see a few lines at a time. And the exploded views that come up in HTML format are just piecemealing information out instead of letting you see everything at the same time as the .pdf views do. I've learned to look for the .pdf link that is on some of the HTML exploded views.

I guess they'd say they made it "Better".
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-05-23, 02:28 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I agree that Shimano has messed up their tech doc site. It's harder to find stuff if you don't know exactly what you want. And the search results come up in such a large font that you only see a few lines at a time. And the exploded views that come up in HTML format are just piecemealing information out instead of letting you see everything at the same time as the .pdf views do. I've learned to look for the .pdf link that is on some of the HTML exploded views.

I guess they'd say they made it "Better".
Or maybe they are continuing the long Shimano tradition of discouraging people to work on their bikes. You know: no spare parts, components that can't be rebuilt, change for the sake of change without a performance improvement.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 08-05-23, 02:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,808 Posts
They don't make it easy. I think @KerryIrons hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-06-23, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Or maybe they are continuing the long Shimano tradition of discouraging people to work on their bikes. You know: no spare parts, components that can't be rebuilt, change for the sake of change without a performance improvement.
I doubt that's any of the motivation. More likely management just wanted a new look. And the person or persons that were responsible for creating the previous website that was more user friendly and displayed stuff in a better manner have retired or moved on. Might also be outsourced as companies now like to do, because of a poorly written scope of work and project definitions it's not quite what they wanted. And changes will cost out the ying yang so it'll probably stay that way till the next time management gets a bug in their arse about changing the website look.

It's not unlike all the other websites that like to change their look all the time and go through cycles of some being user friendly and others not.

Just wait till BF decides to change up their format and go with another software package.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-06-23, 02:44 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 976 Posts
Are you searching RD-R7000? I did that and immediately found the DM you were looking for.
Old 08-08-23, 01:19 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Sometimes this helps:

Go to google.com

Then, before the search term (whatever it is you are searching for), type:
site:si.shimano.com

No space between the "site:" and the website you wish to see the results for. A space goes after the site/domain, i.e. before the search term.

Of course, instead of the "si.shimano.com" you could use "www.bikeforums.net" to search this forum.

Sometimes, Google is better at showing what you need compared to the search "built into" any website you are trying to find the info on.

Relja
Old 08-10-23, 04:35 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Appreciate the tips, problem in part is not knowing which concatenation of letters
Shimano uses to do a search on. Such as crankycranks RARD001-04 for the DM
for the 9000/8000/7000 series RD. Just what I needed but finding it on a search
is no longer easy. Thanks again, and at least I am not alone in this frustration.
Old 08-11-23, 12:03 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Appreciate the tips, problem in part is not knowing which concatenation of letters
Shimano uses to do a search on. Such as crankycranks RARD001-04 for the DM
for the 9000/8000/7000 series RD. Just what I needed but finding it on a search
is no longer easy. Thanks again, and at least I am not alone in this frustration.
RD-R7000 will bring up the RARD001-04. You don't need to know about RARD001-04 beforehand.
Likes For cuevélo: