Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Planet Bike computer problem

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-23, 04:55 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 183 Posts

I have a Planet Bike wireless computer that stopped working. It worked fine 3 days ago then it won’t show speed etc. The display does comes on.
I changed the battery in the pickup unit but still nothing.
The only thing that has been done to the bike is I had the rear derailleur replaced, but that isn’t near the unit.
What am I possibly overlooking? I had an issue a couple of years ago with the pickup unit being too low for the display unit to get a signal.
Old 11-20-23, 05:48 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I just had a thought. Do coin batteries come with a plastic shield that needs to be removed before installing?
Old 11-21-23, 08:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 3,323 Posts
I had a pack of Eveready CR2032's recently that were in individual plastic shells inside a bigger plastic bubble pack. They were a real big pain to get out of the package. But I have to believe that if you'd left plastic of any sort on it, then you'd never get it in the holder.

Some have claimed that the coatings some coin batteries come with to make them nasty tasting to those that want to put them in their mouth's can keep them from making good contact in the holder. I don't know myself if that is a real thing or not. But I have had a lot of bad coin batteries right out of the package. And that's happened too often over the last decade or more. Some say counterfeit coin batteries that are just repackaged dead batteries are a issue. But you'd think by now the coin battery industry would be telling us what to look for if that were a real big issue.

IMO, manufacturer's and electronic designer's ought not use them when their products have room for AAA's, AA's or larger batteries. I even willingly paid more for a instant read pen thermometer that uses a AAA battery instead of their previous model with coin batteries.

hmmm.... you got me ranting. But still, I can't stand coin batteries. Especially when used in things that have room for normal batteries.

Oh... and you might consider the price you paid. Lower cost stuff comes with fewer quality controls at the factory. So some of their units might last and more of them might go bad sooner.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-21-23 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-21-23, 09:26 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Battery in sending unit

deleted
Old 11-21-23, 09:27 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I just had a thought. Do coin batteries come with a plastic shield that needs to be removed before installing?
No. The package they come in isolates the batteries.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-21-23, 09:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Some have claimed that the coatings some coin batteries come with to make them nasty tasting to those that want to put them in their mouth's can keep them from making good contact in the holder. I don't know myself if that is a real thing or not.
OT but related. A pediatrician I was talking to earlier this year had a horror story about catching a coin battery on a child's X-ray. Fortunately she caught it soon enough to send the kid to emergency surgery just in time -- the battery was starting to leak, and she said a few more hours and the kid would have had severe chemical burns on his esophagus. (a) Don't try this at home! (b) Keep those batteries away from kids!!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-21-23, 09:50 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I will test the battery when i get home.
Old 11-21-23, 10:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 3,323 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
OT but related. A pediatrician I was talking to earlier this year had a horror story about catching a coin battery on a child's X-ray. Fortunately she caught it soon enough to send the kid to emergency surgery just in time -- the battery was starting to leak, and she said a few more hours and the kid would have had severe chemical burns on his esophagus. (a) Don't try this at home! (b) Keep those batteries away from kids!!
I hear about this often enough that I wonder why electronic maker's keep using coin batteries when other batteries will fit inside their devices.

Or do AAA's get swallowed just as often and we just don't hear about that?

I guess I'm continuing my rant against coin batteries. Particularly the CR2032, CR2016 and CR2025's.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-21-23, 10:47 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
I hear about this often enough that I wonder why electronic maker's keep using coin batteries when other batteries will fit inside their devices.

I guess I'm continuing my rant against coin batteries. Particularly the CR2032, CR2016 and CR2025's.
??? The CR* are "watch" batteries. Not really a place for AAA. Sure, there might be some devices (which you don't specify) that could use AAA batteries instead but not all devices that use CR*.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/5668

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-21-23 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-21-23, 10:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,104 Times in 3,835 Posts

I don't think any of my bike devices that use a CR2032 have space for a AAA in their current configurations (HR sensor and power meter sensors).
Old 11-21-23, 12:06 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The battery tests as having 3.25v.
I made sure the magnet on the spoke is in the correct position and tight and the lower unit is correctly positioned. All are.
I push the computer on, lift the front of the bike and spin the front wheel- nothing.
I will just buy a bew computer.