Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Cork Ribbon as a Second Wrap

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-17, 05:58 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

My white OEM tape from Felt suddenly got very dirty and is going to heaven fast. The tape is starting to tear but at this point it's still intact.

I like that is very spongy and comfy and was thinking about going over it; however, I'm wondering if the sponginess will take up too much of the Cinelli black ribbon to do a good job and cover all the white.

I've got two boxes of Cinelli cork ribbon from years ago and it was interesting to notice that the price has not gone up at all compared to what's available on the web.

As it turns out, the Cinelli ribbon comes with a little extra piece to help cover the brake lever area, I guess so that I won't have to waste ribbon with an extra wrap-around levers. This could save some ribbon. Cinelli may however have shortened the ribbon knowing I wouldn't need as much given the extra piece.

So, I guess we'll see how it goes. Anyone ever use Cinelli ribbon and the extra piece of ribbon around the levers for a second wrap? Or, maybe it would be better to remove the white and use both new ribbons for the wrap-rewrap...
Old 10-26-17, 06:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Cin. tape is usually a few inches shorter then most other tape rolls. So wrapping it over preexisting tape will only add to the length needed, by a lot. Since the portion of the bars that you want a double thick amount is fairly small it's more common to place a section of old tape under the main wrapping only where you want it. This still makes for more length (then over only bare bars) the added need is far less then with a complete base layer.

BTW Cin. tape can be true cork, not some synthetic, and will tear/break when stretched too strongly (like when trying to make it cover more surface then it can). I use it on my personal bikes but rarely suggest it for my customers. Andy
Old 10-26-17, 08:06 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Cin. tape is usually a few inches shorter then most other tape rolls. ...

ok, thanks-- looks like I probably will can the white tape altogether...
Old 10-26-17, 09:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
My white OEM tape from Felt suddenly got very dirty and is going to heaven fast. The tape is starting to tear but at this point it's still intact.
If you're a cheapskate like me, you can carefully remove the tape and re-wrap it the opposite way, so the frayed edges and tears are covered and a fresh clean edge is exposed.
Old 10-26-17, 09:23 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If you're a cheapskate like me, you can carefully remove the tape and re-wrap it the opposite way, so the frayed edges and tears are covered and a fresh clean edge is exposed.
Good idea-- could be fun to practice my ribbon-wrapping skills over a glass of red wine. But overall, this white tape seems to deteriorating badly all over-- I'm used to tape that lasts a long time. I think it's because I didn't used gloves when I had the bike on a trainer and hand oils must have done some damage.
Old 10-26-17, 09:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
John- Good luck doing that to Cin. tape if it's more then a few minutes old. It's adhesive is stronger then the old tape. Andy.
Old 10-27-17, 07:58 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
I use white Fizik tape, which stays surprisingly clean. Fizik also makes gel strips that fit on the top of the bars for comfort. Not cheap but they work well.
Old 10-27-17, 09:20 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Aubergine
I use white Fizik tape, which stays surprisingly clean. Fizik also makes gel strips that fit on the top of the bars for comfort. Not cheap but they work well.
~$20 -- Amazon's 'choice' (Fizik Performance Bar Tape) with free 1-day shipping... gel pads, hmmmm...? Maybe that's why the OEM job feels so spongy -- even better perhaps than a Cinelli cork under-wrap.
Old 10-27-17, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I double Wrap my Trekking Bars , but I'm Old and practical and use black (Matches the Chain smunge i get om my hands repairing a rear Flat) Tape

my Road bike I got the Fizik Tape and gel pad package, the included tape is black..

there is a tape type,(Lots of brands buy and package tape from the TW suppliers) Foam plastic, with a gel stripe on the back,

The strip is not really adhesive, but it offers some tack to resist creeping, and can be re wrapped..

BITD we used friction /hockey/gaffers/ cotton handlebar tape on the metal and then taped over it, that resists the creeping

and gapping the tape in upper corner bend...

Old 10-27-17, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I think the Pro Team support mechanics re tape the bars before every race day, if their guys use white, to keep them looking smart.
Old 10-27-17, 06:40 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by fietsbob

The strip is not really adhesive, but it offers some tack to resist creeping, and can be re wrapped..

Apparently, Shimano is advertising a new tape that advertises the same backing... So new I didn't see a single review.
Old 10-28-17, 06:40 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
John- Good luck doing that to Cin. tape if it's more then a few minutes old. It's adhesive is stronger then the old tape. Andy.
Cinelli (and almost everyone else, now) make a version they call "gel" tape. They all sell it as some improvement in padding, but there really isn't (at least, not outside of thickness)--the real rub is that it used a silicone-based adhesive that releases cleanly from the bars/over-wrapped tape.

Regular adhesive backed tape, I totally agree. That 3M stuff is tenacious.
Old 10-29-17, 12:20 PM
McBTC

It's always interesting to see a new technique. I took the bar end-plug off this morning and noticed the wrap extends at most ~1/16" beyond the bar and never gets tucked under the plug, which is the way I'm used to seeing the job done and certainly makes plug removal (and probably placement) easy enough. I guess this approach works when you start initially with a really tight wrap and when the edge of the tape is very stiff.
Old 10-29-17, 04:25 PM
McBTC

The OEM job was pretty interesting-- two tapes in one. the underlying had a bit of thickness in middle with a tacky bottom and was laid over with the top piece which was just a thin vinyl ribbon with the Felt logo, both of which are put on together as a single tape..

The OEM tapes is about 2 feet longer the Cinelli cork ribbons (which are barely 2 yards). The bar is prepared with a bit of spongy tape in on the bars-- on top of the drops and opposite the wires.

So, the end result is very comfortable but it doesn't hold up very well.
Old 10-31-17, 12:59 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How wide are your handlebars? The wider they are, the more likely you are going to run out of handlebar wrap.

On the other hand, you say you've got a couple of boxes of Cinelli wrap that are several years old. They have zero value sitting on the shelf. What do you have to lose by trying?
Old 10-31-17, 01:26 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How wide are your handlebars? The wider they are...

What do you have to lose by trying?
True, my thinking as well, The drop is the short-shallow type ~5" and the bars are wide ~18.5" so… I used every bit of the ribbon but it was enough – even with a fairly generous overlap – using the 2 extra strips that cover the bar under the brakes. The single wrap seems spongy but a stiffer sponginess than the OEM job.
Old 11-05-17, 09:01 PM
McBTC

Domain's, Extra Long Gel Road Bike Handlebar Tape that I ordered came tonight and in the interest of truth in advertising I certainly can confirm: it is, extra long.

Cinelli's ribbon, for example, was nearly 2 yards. This tape is >2 feet longer, which really takes all the risk out of having more than enough for a double-wrap with ample overlap.
Old 11-26-17, 06:46 PM
McBTC

Second wrap turned out okay and it is comfortable enough but what I could use now is some really long-lasting, tough but thin white vinyl tape -- no padding needed at this point -- to go over the whole thing so that it all lasts a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Double-wrap.jpg (315.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-26-17, 07:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I double layer wrap my trekking bars....

So, going to put rubber gloves in your patch kit now, to keep the white tape clean? or have minions fix your flats?
Old 11-26-17, 07:47 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Just a note about today's Cinelli cork tapd......
It did not go up in price as they moved production to Taiwan. And unfortunately along with the move of production, the quality of the tape had gone down. The Taiwan made cork Cinelli tape does not have as much of a taper to the edges of the tape than the original. If you look at the new version of the tape closely, there's actually hardly any taper (thinning down to the edges). This results in a not so nice looking lumpy taping job when you install it. Very visible ugly bumps between each turn of the tape, in contrast to the smooth profile through the whole handlebar that the originals had.
Been a loyal user of Cinelli cork tape since the late 80's........ not anymore after this cheap move on their product recently..... Don't fix it if it isn't broken Cinelli!
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 11-26-17, 08:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No need to double wrap. Just use ZIPP Service Course CX tape. Thick. Cushy. Not tacky. One wrap and you are done. $17/box and will last years.

And forget about the extra piece under the brake hood. It is a waste of time.

-Tim-
Old 11-26-17, 08:53 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by fietsbob

So, going to put rubber gloves in your patch kit now, to keep the white tape clean? or have minions fix your flats?
Good point-- next time... I think I'll go with foam Grab-Ons
Old 11-26-17, 09:09 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by TimothyH
No need to double wrap. Just use ZIPP Service Course CX tape. Thick. Cushy. Not tacky. One wrap and you are done. $17/box and will last years.

And forget about the extra piece under the brake hood. It is a waste of time.

-Tim-
...red, black or white padded bar tape comes with two 1.9 m rolls...

Sounds like plenty of length-- save a lot of hassles!