Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Looking to fix up or SELL 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 04:15 PM
padre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all! I am looking to either fix up or sell a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix. It is in very good condition--mainly needs a good tune up and some new tubes. Other than that, it is a reliable bike. I rode it daily for a year when I lived in the Bay Area, but I have since moved to the mid-west where it seems like there is no safe place to ride. According to what I have read, the serial number (GM418406) means that it was made in Holland in September of 1974. I will post pics tonight when I get home. Any thoughts of what would be a reasonable asking price? Thanks!
Old 07-02-08, 05:00 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
If you mod it like this one, you'll rake in some money:

https://cgi.ebay.com/1974-English-Ral...QQcmdZViewItem

Otherwise, if it's in excellent condition, you might get $100 but more likely $50.

Neal
Old 07-03-08, 07:41 AM
padre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that one on eBay and I loved the look of it! I wonder what it will go for? Thanks for your response!
Old 07-03-08, 10:13 AM
padre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are pics as promised...

Old 03-28-11, 01:51 PM
LindyRides

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 WSD road bike; Vintage Raleigh Grand Prix ('74 I think!) 10-speed, Fuji mountain Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Raleigh Grand Prix when I was in my teens and want one again. I know you posted this in 2008 and now it's 2011. Did you ever sell it? If not, are you still looking to sell it and if so what size is the frame?

Thanks, Lindy
Old 03-28-11, 01:59 PM
frenchbikefan

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He hasn't posted here in 3 years I think you are out of luck
Old 03-28-11, 02:00 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Geez, you'll never find another 70's Raleigh Grand Prix, either. Those are like hen's teeth. Bummer.
Old 04-01-11, 02:06 PM
ianbrettcooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently own four Raleigh Grand Prix bikes - all from '73 or '74 as far as I can tell. These bikes were probably the most common Raleigh bikes sold in the US during the '70s bike boom, so they're almost literally ten a penny. I picked one up last week in good original condition for $65 and I'm picking up my latest acquisition tomorrow for $50.

Personally, I don't see why they don't fetch more money. They're a nice ride once they get a proper tune-up. I guess it's a combination of 'too common' and 'too old' - people probably think they're about to fall apart. But whatever the problem is, I get a nice bike for less than the price of taking my wife and daughter out for dinner. While all these perfectly good old Raleighs are around, I don't see the point of paying $700 (or even $300) for a new bike.
Old 04-01-11, 02:19 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ianbrettcooper
I currently own four Raleigh Grand Prix bikes - all from '73 or '74 as far as I can tell. These bikes were probably the most common Raleigh bikes sold in the US during the '70s bike boom, so they're almost literally ten a penny. I picked one up last week in good original condition for $65 and I'm picking up my latest acquisition tomorrow for $50.

Personally, I don't see why they don't fetch more money. They're a nice ride once they get a proper tune-up. I guess it's a combination of 'too common' and 'too old' - people probably think they're about to fall apart. But whatever the problem is, I get a nice bike for less than the price of taking my wife and daughter out for dinner. While all these perfectly good old Raleighs are around, I don't see the point of paying $700 (or even $300) for a new bike.
+1.

I consider them to be in the same league as Peugeot's U08: A nice looking, good riding bike (especially given an upgrade to alloy wheels) - that doesn't get the respect it deserves!

(You really have it bad to own 4 of them though...I get by with just two.)

Last edited by auchencrow; 04-01-11 at 03:04 PM.
Likes For auchencrow:
Old 04-01-11, 02:20 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is one on my local cl for 35, no April fools joke.
Old 04-01-11, 02:22 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
What the other guys are asking....
https://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.c...o=d&submit=+GO+

Clean it up with Awesome or Fantastik cleaner, and hit it with a coat of car wax. Lose the half fenders. Niagara Cycle Works probably has the lowest prices on stuff you need, but also check Nashbar and JensonUSA. IMHO, $100 to $150 in top shape in season if you are in the right market for these bikes. I'd take it out and ride it ... live life on the edge! Just don't forget to wear a helmet.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 04-01-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-01-11, 02:41 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I am about half way through the rebuild of a mid-late 70's model. It has nice paint and down tube power ratchet shifters.
Old 04-01-11, 04:57 PM
ianbrettcooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just took mine out for a spin today. Compared to my Jamis Aragon hybrid/touring tank it handles like a dream, but I suppose anything would compared to the Aragon.

I'm thinking of converting one of my Grand Prix bikes to a touring bike. They seem to have the geometry for it - plenty of heel room and something like 41.5" wheelbase. Then again, I must admit I don't know much about it - I just ride 'em - measuring them isn't really my bag. Has anyone ever tried touring with a Grand Prix?
Old 04-05-11, 12:42 AM
LindyRides

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 WSD road bike; Vintage Raleigh Grand Prix ('74 I think!) 10-speed, Fuji mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed . . . just found one locally that "looks" like a Raleigh Grand Prix but pics weren't detailed enough for me to tell online. Emailed the guy to find out. Very reasonable price! I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all the leads and words of wisdom on this subject from you all! I really appreciate it. Kinda sad "padre" isn't online here anymore, though, as his red model was very sweet looking! I'd have bought that in a heartbeat if it was the right frame size and paid for the shipping. But I've gotta say: the green one is the one that stole my heart when I was 16 so that's the one I want to add to the bike collection . . . gosh, Fuji mtn bike, Trek Madone 5.2 and now a Raleigh Grand Prix if I'm lucky? My, oh my, I DO have eclectic taste in bikes now, don't I? LOL!
Old 04-05-11, 11:52 AM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Bikes: Some Schwinns, a Gary Fisher, some vintage lt wts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you are set. I picked up a red Grand Prix this weekend at the swap meet. It is about a 60cm ( too tall for me), so if your local deal falls through- shoot me a PM
Old 04-11-11, 12:37 PM
LindyRides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi ebr898,
I think 50cm is too tall for me too. My present Trek is a 54cm and it fits great. I've been told I *might* be able to go up to a 56 but no larger. Unfortunately, the guy who advertised the bike on CL didn't ever email back and when I tried to call the next day (later in the day) his phone had been disconnected. Dreams dashed for now . . . but my head is in the search game and I'll find one yet!
Old 04-11-11, 02:41 PM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a 56cm and this Grand Prix is too tall for me (even if I tried too ride it hippie boots, of the era) I have one guy interested I told him $40 as is.
Old 04-13-11, 11:13 AM
cdawg90

Bikes: '81 Puch Pathfinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 bucks if you can ship it to NY
Old 04-13-11, 11:23 AM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I will let it go localy. I stripped down last night for overhaul. Stuck stem, and all the bearings were dried up, I wonder if the had been repacked in the last 40 years? very clean inside and out except for one rock dent on a chain stay and the paint fade. The paint fade is pretty cool in that it almost looks like an orange to red fading paint job.
Old 04-13-11, 11:33 AM
cdawg90

Bikes: '81 Puch Pathfinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Sorry random new guy) I will keep looking around locally! I live in upstate NY and this summer I want to try and restore some old vintage beauties. The red Raleigh really caught my eye when I stumbled across this one for sale! https://app.onlinephotofiler.com/Img1...c175.Large.jpg (Also check out the site this guy does some great work) https://www.oldbikesbelong.com
Old 09-26-11, 09:39 PM
PhillyFlicks
'74 Raliegh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello -

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I love the '74 Raleigh Grand Prix discussion!

This spring I picked up a '74 GP in all original condition - more or less unridden. I really just wanted a nice steel frame to use for a project and almost decided to keep it original. But I am almost done the upgrade/conversion. I will post some after pictures - hopefully in about a week or so.

I converted the bike to an internal 5-speed (Sturmey Archer) with 700c wheels. I only kept the frame, headset and handlebars. But I kept all the components in case I ever want to put it back to original. That's unlikely, so let me know if you need any original '74 GP parts BTW, I used a Velo Orange Grand Cru threadless bottom bracket that works great while avoiding the unique Raleigh threading.

Here are some before pics -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC03230.jpg (102.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC03249.jpg (102.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-27-11, 01:17 AM
zazenzach

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
lol this thread has been brought back from the grave twice now.

nice bike there Philly. and welcome to BF
Old 03-04-12, 06:56 PM
hyruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back from the dead again...

I just bought a 74 grand prix at a antique store for 30 bucks. Is putting 700c wheels on it just a plug and play thing or is there more work involved. Finding tubes and tires locally is not looking good.
Old 03-04-12, 07:16 PM
ianbrettcooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hyruu
I just bought a 74 grand prix at a antique store for 30 bucks. Is putting 700c wheels on it just a plug and play thing or is there more work involved. Finding tubes and tires locally is not looking good.
You can put 700c wheels on it, but you may need to change out the Weinmann 610 front brakes for the longer reach 750s that the Grand Prix uses on the rear wheel. The 610s may (just) reach, but the 750s will have more play and will reach with no problem.

I know because one of my projects is a Grand Prix frame with no wheels that I want to put 700c wheels on.
Old 03-04-12, 07:26 PM
Franklin77
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really appreciate it. Kinda sad "padre" isn't online here anymore, though, as his red model was very sweet looking! I'd have bought that in a heartbeat if it was the right frame size and paid for the shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.