Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Unicycle Build

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Unicycle Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 07:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Unicycle Build

One of the projects I have been working on for a while is done. First and likely last unicycle. Parts sourced from Unicycle.com and Full Moon Vista. Tire is a 559x2.1. Current pedal placement might change with acclamation.

Blades are 7/8 x .049 and 1" x .058. Crown is 1.125"x.058. "Seat and down" tubes are 1.125"x.6mm (can you say scrap box). The bearing clamps are Unicycle.com parts. Poor home rattle can paint in way too cold a garage.

This was a fun project. I looked at some unicycles on line and took my youth's brief experience with the common cheap type available then. One issue I remembered was the seat post twisting with each failed dismount. This is what led to me trying two binders. Wanting them a fair distance apart led me to what is called a "hatchet" design. I "borrowed" the quarters as blade caps from a few others before me.

Now I have to actually try to relearn how to ride one wheel. Andy

Old 02-11-23, 12:39 PM
sdodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Beautiful work! I love the creative clamping in your 'jig'. And the quarters are a nice touch! Though, that is truly a horrible paint job. I hope it is just the close-ups and bright light and it really looks OK from 5'. =)
Old 02-14-23, 04:17 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Sweet minimalist fixie!

I hope you can facilitate a handlebar and fender. After I learned how to ride 1/10th of a mile on unicycle consistently (without bailing), those were what I was wanting.