Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for '77 Colnago Super (blue, size 57/58)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Looking for '77 Colnago Super (blue, size 57/58)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 03:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The PA bike- just looks bigger to me, like 58 cm center to center.
I have found that many people kind of goof on measuring. In the 60’s and 70’s typical was center of the BB to the top of the seat tube.
in the 80’s center to center was adopted, my guess came with the oversized top tubes.

the PA bike has a Super Record headset, maybe #66 bend bars- unknown width.
1a stem- much of the choices can be exchanged, just takes more money.
rims have eyelets- I cannot tell the make. fiamme? Regina Record Oro chain.
brake levers I think are a bit low, but reasonably easy to move, new bar tape?
replaced chainrings, seller states he has others to go with the bike. Images are not super detailed.

at the price it points to me a bike that you have little if anything to do beyond the purchase.

of the last three bikes I bought, all needed a new spindle or complete bottom bracket.
I figured that was a 50/50 need. Bought them anyway as original paint and a desired bike.
Old 04-07-24, 05:16 PM
DaveB1960

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The PA bike- just looks bigger to me, like 58 cm center to center.
I have found that many people kind of goof on measuring. In the 60’s and 70’s typical was center of the BB to the top of the seat tube.
in the 80’s center to center was adopted, my guess came with the oversized top tubes.

the PA bike has a Super Record headset, maybe #66 bend bars- unknown width.
1a stem- much of the choices can be exchanged, just takes more money.
rims have eyelets- I cannot tell the make. fiamme? Regina Record Oro chain.
brake levers I think are a bit low, but reasonably easy to move, new bar tape?
replaced chainrings, seller states he has others to go with the bike. Images are not super detailed.

at the price it points to me a bike that you have little if anything to do beyond the purchase.

of the last three bikes I bought, all needed a new spindle or complete bottom bracket.
I figured that was a 50/50 need. Bought them anyway as original paint and a desired bike.
Thanks. I asked for the specific measurements. Any thoughts on the lack of a Columbus sticker? (He sent me a picture of the frame . . .)
Old 04-07-24, 05:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Columbus stickers and later decals were not exceptionally durable.
on mine, I have one of each and have been lucky.
Old 04-17-24, 10:56 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 720 Posts
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...727801730.html
Likes For malcala622:
Old 04-17-24, 12:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
That photo takes me back! Different bike but - same size, the brake cables, toestraps pulled tight, the shoes, the short shorts, the short jersey zipper, the hair net, the hair, the white socks ...

No help here on the bike but I did a similar move these past couple of years. I raced a Fuji Pro. It's slightly unusual geometry worked out perfectly for me. But it wasn't a weekend warrior so I sold it. No regrets. Well the Miyatas of about seven years later had all the good of the Pro done better and were slightly more rounded bikes. Bought one. A rust bucket. Well documented so I knew. And it had "the ride"! Heaven! A non-rusted repainted one came up for sale. Grabbed it. Took it to my framebuilder for inspection, aligning and facing. He found a crack in the BB shell knowing well that was an issue for those frames. I had him braze it up. (He did the other side too as prevention.) I repainted everything below the frame panels. Now assembled and needing to go for that first ride with bare handlebars to dial in bar rotation and levers.

Signed up last night for a weekend ride in country that is gorgeous. July so the weather should be also. Rode the rust bucket (hiding under an acre of fingernail polish) last fall for a week long ride. Was in heaven!
Old 04-17-24, 12:16 PM
DaveB1960

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That photo takes me back! Different bike but - same size, the brake cables, toestraps pulled tight, the shoes, the short shorts, the short jersey zipper, the hair net, the hair, the white socks ...

No help here on the bike but I did a similar move these past couple of years. I raced a Fuji Pro. It's slightly unusual geometry worked out perfectly for me. But it wasn't a weekend warrior so I sold it. No regrets. Well the Miyatas of about seven years later had all the good of the Pro done better and were slightly more rounded bikes. Bought one. A rust bucket. Well documented so I knew. And it had "the ride"! Heaven! A non-rusted repainted one came up for sale. Grabbed it. Took it to my framebuilder for inspection, aligning and facing. He found a crack in the BB shell knowing well that was an issue for those frames. I had him braze it up. (He did the other side too as prevention.) I repainted everything below the frame panels. Now assembled and needing to go for that first ride with bare handlebars to dial in bar rotation and levers.

Signed up last night for a weekend ride in country that is gorgeous. July so the weather should be also. Rode the rust bucket (hiding under an acre of fingernail polish) last fall for a week long ride. Was in heaven!
Nice story. Thanks for sharing. I did find a bike which is on its way now. a 1978 58 cm Super. Not sure if I'm going museum piece route or L'Eroica. Maybe both
Old 04-17-24, 12:17 PM
DaveB1960

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. A little big and would have been tempted, but bought a 58 cm from a guy in PA. On its way now
Likes For DaveB1960:
Old 04-17-24, 12:18 PM
DaveB1960

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Columbus stickers and later decals were not exceptionally durable.
on mine, I have one of each and have been lucky.
Thanks. I did end up buying the PA bike which is a 58 cm. Thanks all for the help!
Old 04-17-24, 12:30 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,303 Times in 1,288 Posts
Congratulations! Post pics when you get it. Always nice to see another Super on the forum. Here's mine from a ride a couple of weeks ago. Any excuse to post a nice photo! Sorry for the "big to big" . Lazy down shift.

Old 04-17-24, 12:57 PM
DaveB1960

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Congratulations! Post pics when you get it. Always nice to see another Super on the forum. Here's mine from a ride a couple of weeks ago. Any excuse to post a nice photo! Sorry for the "big to big" . Lazy down shift.

Nice pic! I'm actually also looking for a 58cm "Merckx Super" or frame like you have. One of my favorites!
Old 04-17-24, 01:36 PM
andrewcd

Bikes: '75 UO-8 Metallic Blue, '80 PY10S Pearl White, '83 PSV-10 Pearl White, '83 PRO-10 Shell-Michelin Team Pearl White, '84 PY10LS Metallic Black, '85 PX10SH Pro-600 Burgundy, '88 PY10P Metallic Black

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Based on the headtube, this looks more like a 56 to me, but maybe still too small.....fwiw

Colnago Super used in 54 cm | buycycle MC

Likes For andrewcd:
Old 04-17-24, 01:43 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 2,550 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB1960
Thanks. I did end up buying the PA bike which is a 58 cm. Thanks all for the help!
Congrats. It's a beautiful bike.

You do realize that you are now obligated to regale us with phots, ride report, etc., right?​​​​​merziac said above, we live for this stuff. If we don't regular fixes, we get all . Not a pretty sight. You wouldn't want that on your conscience.
Old 04-17-24, 02:36 PM
DaveB1960

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Congrats. It's a beautiful bike.

You do realize that you are now obligated to regale us with phots, ride report, etc., right?​​​​​merziac said above, we live for this stuff. If we don't regular fixes, we get all . Not a pretty sight. You wouldn't want that on your conscience.
Duly noted!
Likes For DaveB1960: